HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Soooooo was it the players or the coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=890529)

nanuuq 03-13-2011 04:49 PM

Soooooo was it the players or the coach

So we fire most of the team, and we start winning, what does that say....

aragorn 03-13-2011 04:51 PM

These three things I think led to their demise.

1. Goaltending.
2. Most players not playing to their potential.
3. Coaching.

nanuuq 03-13-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aragorn (Post 31644580)
It was goaltending.

so what does that say about those saying the coach was trash

senswon 03-13-2011 04:57 PM

Both

Clouston sucks.
The players were: old, comfortable, fat

aragorn 03-13-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanuuq (Post 31644610)
so what does that say about those saying the coach was trash

I think the biggest problem with this team for a number of yrs has been terrible goaltending especially in critical games. Second, most of the players not playing to their potential guys like Foligno, Regin, Shannon, Kovalev, Gonchar's (terrible start) etc.. I don't think anyone can pinpoint exactly why so many players all played so poorly at the same time, maybe it was because of the coach but they played well for him the yr before. And some players were getting older. Third, the coach made a number of rookie mistakes but his biggest problem seemed to be not coddling his star players. I guess he needed to improve his communication skills & learn to kiss the prima donna's *****. I think Clouston might get another shot in the NHL at some point but as an assistant coach.

N Bahn Ahden 03-13-2011 05:04 PM

Both

Ghost in the Shell 03-13-2011 05:06 PM

Both. Plus playing without any pressure always helps.

4thliner* 03-13-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanuuq (Post 31644537)
So we fire most of the team, and we start winning, what does that say....

It doesn't take a hole lot of 'coaching' to get a punch of AHL guys trying to stick in the NHL next year and avoid the long bus rides to play hard..and a journeymen goalie trying to earn his next contract.

It takes a hole lot of coaching to get good NHL players to perform on a nightly bases.

Besides, these games are meaningless. Zero media/playoff push pressure. Everyone is playing for a spot for next year.

Clouston should still be gone IMO

Afro Thunder* 03-13-2011 05:24 PM

Both.

Anderson is making him look good just like how he made Saaco look good last year.

Mephias 03-13-2011 05:24 PM

Both.

We thought Clouston was the right coach when we were winning meaningless games at the end of 08-09. We can't make the same mistake again.

TheBandWagon 03-13-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephias (Post 31645273)
Both.

We thought Clouston was the right coach when we were winning meaningless games at the end of 08-09. We can't make the same mistake again.

What about last year when he coached us into the first round and forced 6 games out of an extremely good Penguins team? I know everyone talks about the 11 game streak being the fluke reason we made the playoffs but the fact is it took more than those 11 games to make it to the post season. Had we put Lolclaire in net earlier and had Kovy and Michalek healthy, things could have been very different.

I'm not saying CC is absolved of all sin, but I really don't think that he's a bad coach. Unless we have a REALLY good candidate lined up for next year, I say we re-up clouston for one more year and see what he can do with the kids and a very competent goaltender. I agree with him whole-heartedly when he said that the difference between the start of the season and since Andy came over being that you just cant win in this league with average goaltending. Give him Anderson and a group of guys with something to prove and we might all be pleasantly surprised at what the lil General can do. Worst case we're a lottery team again...oh noes

senswon 03-13-2011 05:49 PM

We need an NHL coach. Not an AHL, college, or even a CHL guy.

Tundraman 03-13-2011 05:50 PM

It's still the coach.

nanuuq 03-13-2011 05:51 PM

But I don't think there is anyone available to coach this team. So i think, give Clouston a 1 year contract and see what happens...

4thliner* 03-13-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanuuq (Post 31645843)
But I don't think there is anyone available to coach this team. So i think, give Clouston a 1 year contract and see what happens...

I am down if it means we Nail down happiness.

But seriously, the guy should be a goner.

arglebargle 03-13-2011 05:56 PM

I don't know that you can just discount last season. He took a roster that was pretty much the same as this year and made the playoffs, albeit on a pretty unlikely goalie hotstreak from Elliot/Brodeur.

I think the biggest reason the team looks so good despite consisting of 1/2 of Bingo's roster is largely due to effort. The callups are replacing older guys who weren't going to lose their roster spots, so the effort level is going to go up. The callups are younger and have more energy, faster recovery times, etc..

Add to that the fact that the callups are basically playing for roster spots next season and they're all going to work incredibly hard to stay here. For some of them the 20 games they play this year may be the only chance they'll ever get to be NHL players. I don't know if that level of play is sustainable for an entire season. Players lose weight, get injured and/or become fatigued when they play like that for too long.

Just a general note though, I think that the Senators can use their excess bottom 6 prospects more effectively by switching them to/from Bingo more frequently. I think it would be a good idea to have a bunch of young guys who split time between the AHL/NHL and keep a constant competition for those bottom 6 spots, which ensures that the effort level will remain high all the time, instead of at the end of the year when the season is decided.

Polakdave 03-13-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thliner (Post 31645905)
I am down if it means we Nail down happiness.

But seriously, the guy should be a goner.

What's this Nail thing?

nanuuq 03-13-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolakDave (Post 31646031)
What's this Nail thing?

Dude has a problem with his file.

CanadianHockey 03-13-2011 06:28 PM

It was both. Coach has to motivate and coach his players, players have to produce on ice and buy into the system.

Sensfanman 03-13-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolakDave (Post 31646031)
What's this Nail thing?

Nail Yakupov.

The answer is all of the above. This team was a cluster**** and still isn't good. We just got some very hot goaltending and still can barely muster 2 goals a game. Don't think "we're a better team" now, we still suck, we just got some luck.

pt_mck 03-13-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensfanman (Post 31646453)
Nail Yakupov.

The answer is all of the above. This team was a cluster**** and still isn't good. We just got some very hot goaltending and still can barely muster 2 goals a game. Don't think "we're a better team" now, we still suck, we just got some luck.

Injuries

Alfie, Michalek, Regin hurts production also.

A healthy team
+ Anderson signed
+ a top 6 forward Murray said he wanted to target
+ a real coach next year

This team can contend for a playoff spot.

DrEasy 03-13-2011 07:16 PM

1- Injuries (Leclaire, Spezza, etc.)
2- Players playing through injury (Alfie, Fisher, Kovalev)
3- Players recovering from injuries (Kuba, Michalek)

utah 03-13-2011 07:30 PM

Players or the coach?

It doesn't matter. Chucky will be toast at the end of this season, regardless.

Iamok 03-13-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt_mck (Post 31646538)
Injuries

Alfie, Michalek, Regin hurts production also.

A healthy team
+ Anderson signed
+ a top 6 forward Murray said he wanted to target
+ a real coach next year

This team can contend for a playoff spot.

Injuries shouldn't be used as an excuse as there are plently of teams worse off that are still having success. The fact is that if your team isn't doing well with one or two key injuries (ie. Spezza) then your team wasn't that good in the first place.

TheBandWagon 03-13-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamok (Post 31647460)
Injuries shouldn't be used as an excuse as there are plently of teams worse off that are still having success. The fact is that if your team isn't doing well with one or two key injuries (ie. Spezza) then your team wasn't that good in the first place.

What team's #1 Goalie has played a grand total of 14 games this season? Couple that with the Cheechoo buyout, Alfy hurt/playing hurt most of the year and Spez hurt for a good chunk sure hurts a team's chances at competing every night. We were too tight to the cap to even keep Z.Smith on our roster, - who made it from camp - so there was nothing we could do when short term injuries plagued us. Again though, coaching is still a part of the problem