HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jaques Martin: Coaching discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=892709)

XperHFB 03-18-2011 10:13 PM

Jaques Martin: Coaching discussion

He for me is the best coach we could ever possibly dream to have. First season with montreal and a ASCF what more do you want? A stanley cup?? Dude wait just relax a minute, do some history check and you will see after 93 we never past round 2. Sure some of you might say its Halak who did the job but YO, Carbo, Julien, Gayney (:)) had Halak and they totaly failed and they even had a much better team in front. Its all about how you deal with what you have and Martin has done a godly like job so far. If we ahead for a spot in the play offs its because of that guy. No boucher wouldnt have done better. In fact very few elite coachs would have done what Martin has acheived so far.

In other words: plz no more threads on how Martin sucks ok ?? This guy is a grade A++ -n games genius. And most likely he will win coach of the year.

Thanks for reading

JGRB 03-18-2011 10:16 PM

Carey Price makes coach look smart, I agree.

Madam Kadri 03-18-2011 10:19 PM

His only clear cut strength is developing defensive responsibility in his forwards.

Joey 03-18-2011 10:34 PM

I thought it was neat when he changed the top lines back to what they will be next game after NYR got their 6th. We were out of it so instead of riding the stacked top line, he put back the projected lines for next game to give them an extra shift or two together. A small thing but I liked it

donghabs98 03-18-2011 10:47 PM

i think one of the reasons martin is doing good is that he is getting great goaltending.
He never has the same type of goaltending he has here when he was with FLA or OTT.
maybe in FLA but it's FLA

guest1467 03-18-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blame it on PK (Post 31761850)
His only clear cut strength is developing defensive responsibility in his forwards.

Not developing defensemen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by donghabs98 (Post 31762206)
i think one of the reasons martin is doing good is that he is getting great goaltending.
He never has the same type of goaltending he has here when he was with FLA or OTT.

Lalime was pretty good in his prime man.

The Gal Pals 03-18-2011 10:56 PM

Why did you choose to post this thread on his dumbest night?

Krnage 03-18-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGRB (Post 31761811)

and Gomez make the coach look pretty bad :sarcasm:

Kriss E 03-18-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donghabs98 (Post 31762206)

Funny because most would say the only reason he never went to the Finals in the PO with Ottawa is because his goaltending sucked.

andy28 03-18-2011 11:20 PM

I know Carey Price holds us in a lot of games, but I think Jacques Martin has done pretty good with what he has been dealt. I am behind him. We would complain about any other coach just as much.

sammy d 03-18-2011 11:24 PM

He is coaching to the players he has, not enough offense on this team to play run and gun, not enough size to grind it out, only other option is to play a tight defensive system and rely on goaltending. He is doing an excellent job with all the injuries this year. He is a pro as opposed to Carbo who didn't have a clue.

bjac 03-18-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XperHFB (Post 31761767)
He for me is the best coach we could ever possibly dream to have. First season with montreal and a ASCF what more do you want? A stanley cup?? Dude wait just relax a minute, do some history check and you will see after 93 we never past round 2. Sure some of you might say its Halak who did the job but YO, Carbo, Julien, Gayney (:)) had Halak and they totaly failed and they even had a much better team in front. Its all about how you deal with what you have and Martin has done a godly like job so far. If we ahead for a spot in the play offs its because of that guy. No boucher wouldnt have done better. In fact very few elite coachs would have done what Martin has acheived so far.

In other words: plz no more threads on how Martin sucks ok ?? This guy is a grade A++ -n games genius. And most likely he will win coach of the year.

Thanks for reading
Edit: sorry typos, im too lazy to fix and im pretty confident that this thread will get deleted any wys ;) Mods

While I agree in general, that Martin is a good coach and is one of the main reasons for the Habs success, I don't like the shot you take at the former Canadiens coaches from the last decade. None of them were perfect, actually far from it, but all the people you mentioned had success with a middle of the pack team. Carbo was in the Jack Adams race and Julien is obviously a good coach considering the work he has done with the Bruins (as much as I dislike them or anything professional sports team associated with the city of Boston).

The worst shot you took was at Gainey. He coached when he needed to coach and did the job just fine. Outside of that, he single handedly pulled Montreal out of the gutter and made it a playoff team again. He is also the person who constructed the team that we are currently watching, and contrary to popular belief, they are pretty good considering the injuries that they have sustained. Lets not forget that he also pushed to draft Price. He didn't put the team over the top, but definately left it in better shape than it was when he aquired it. He is a Habs legend, a Cup winner as both player and GM, and commands more respect than alot give him (ie. calling him "gayney" for some stupid reason).

Back on topic, JM gets alot of flak on these boards, most of which is unwarrented. He is a good coach and has taken a team that has had every excuse to fail, into the playoffs with a shot at the division title. People complain about his system because it's "boring", but it obviously has worked.

snakeye 03-18-2011 11:57 PM

All I have to say about Gainey as coach is...

Kovalev - Koivu - Laraque

It was the most painful hockey I think I ever watched in my entire life.

andy28 03-19-2011 12:01 AM

In any case, Martin has been dealt a really rough hand and he doesn't lose control or fly off the handle out there. He is composed. I really have a great deal of respect for him. People like him are hard to find.

Crimson Skorpion 03-19-2011 12:19 AM

He's coached a team with a depleted defensive core and an offensive squad that barely has a top 6. I think that's pretty telling. However, if Price wasn't a Hab, things might be very different.

andy28 03-19-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 31763720)
. However, if Price wasn't a Hab, things might be very different.

Very true, but given the injuries and subtracting Price from the equation, it would be bad with any coach.

XperHFB 03-19-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjac (Post 31763167)
The worst shot you took was at Gainey. He coached when he needed to coach and did the job just fine. Outside of that, he single handedly pulled Montreal out of the gutter and made it a playoff team again. He is also the person who constructed the team that we are currently watching, and contrary to popular belief, they are pretty good considering the injuries that they have sustained. Lets not forget that he also pushed to draft Price. He didn't put the team over the top, but definately left it in better shape than it was when he aquired it. He is a Habs legend, a Cup winner as both player and GM, and commands more respect than alot give him (ie. calling him "gayney" for some stupid reason).

You sound like if Gainey was in your family. Dude relax i was jocking. I really liked Gainey as a GM i think he did an amazing job overall but as a coach he was terrible. Have to remind you he was in when we lost 4-0 againts boston in the playoffs after he decided Carbo was no good any more.
But any ways Martin is the best of them all and we should thank the gods that his coaching for us. Like can you imagine how hard it must be to make your team win even though you have almost half of your regulars out?? I mean Markov and Gorges thats already alot but Pleks,Gill,Spacek,Packs also????? No but seriously thats wayy too much. No other team in the Nhl has so many injurys and is as succesful.

And for all of you who say Price makes Martin look good. Again its all about coaching. His the only coach who made Price regain his confidence and play the way he is now -(last game). Martin makes this team look good. He has no superstars just a few small players with some skills. We finally know how a third round feels like and thats all because of the great genius Martin not Gainey nor Carbo or the Pope.

Madam Kadri 03-19-2011 12:57 AM

Babcock, Bylsma, Laviolette>choir boy loser Martin.

XperHFB 03-19-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blame it on PK (Post 31764086)
Babcock, Bylsma, Laviolette>choir boy loser Martin.

Idk about babcock but Bylsma's job is to make crosby happy. As long as Crosby smiles Bylsma sleeps like a princess. Look at the stats of the peguins with out crosby... Lol

Laviolette is good but his team is packed with talent and their healthy and dirty and strong.

How about washington can you be any better? Good question right? I am not sure... But i think we ***** them last year.

Madam Kadri 03-19-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XperHFB (Post 31764239)
Idk about babcock but Bylsma's job is to make crosby happy. As long as Crosby smiles Bylsma sleeps like a princess. Look at the stats of the peguins with out crosby... Lol

Laviolette is good but his team is packed with talent and their healthy and dirty and strong.

How about washington can you be any better? Good question right? I am not sure... But i think we ***** them last year.

Bylsma also employs a vicious forecheck while until recently, we've been only sending one man up and 4 back.

Boudreau is a moron riding the coattails of Ovechkin and Backstrom. The guy was fielding OV for a full 2 minutes on the power play earlier this season. The guy placed his bets on Jason Chimera (no hands) to be the guy to launch one last shot at the goaltender in a game against Phoenix. The guy can't lead worth a damn, as evidenced by the discombobulated play of the Craps earlier this season.

Pr3Va1L 03-19-2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy d (Post 31762832)
He is coaching to the players he has, not enough offense on this team to play run and gun, not enough size to grind it out, only other option is to play a tight defensive system and rely on goaltending. He is doing an excellent job with all the injuries this year. He is a pro as opposed to Carbo who didn't have a clue.

Truth.

Toro 03-19-2011 03:29 AM

most overrated coach.

Like others have said. Price / Subban make him look good and Gomez makes him look bad.

This debate is getting old. If u guys continue to make stupid threads like this the boards will be full. How many threads do we debate the merit of JM to the Habs?

jlgib21* 03-19-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro (Post 31764919)
most overrated coach.

Like others have said. Price / Subban make him look good and Gomez makes him look bad.

This debate is getting old. If u guys continue to make stupid threads like this the boards will be full. How many threads do we debate the merit of JM to the Habs?

Jm employs a very boring,soft style of hockey. It's effective if you are undermanned or have a low talent level. Obviously he has one of the longest tenures ever w/o winning a cup,or even getting to the finals. It was all his fault the Ottawa teams never got there,getting beat up and drummed out by TO four straight times. IMO he's an above average reg. season coach,but I don't like his style. I'd rather watch an entertaining physical team place 7th or 8th,than a physically humiliated and trapping team place 5th or 6th

jlgib21* 03-19-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airic000 (Post 31762323)
Why did you choose to post this thread on his dumbest night?

Why would any coach play Hamr in the last minutes of a 3 goal deficit,when he played 30 min. the nite before. That is totally stupid.

macavoy 03-19-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGRB (Post 31761811)

Playing goalie is largely mental and JM is the coach responsible for having Halak have a career year last year and now Price this year. You can say he is lucky and got saved by two goalies, or you can acknowledge that he got these two young goalies to play at the top of their game.

We keep hearing about Mason struggling, Brian Elliot didn't pan out, Howard has regressed slightly this year on a stable Wings team, Monster hasn't lived up to the hype, but our team has had goalies play beyond expectations. That says something about the coaching.

He supports them and gives them what they need. People kept saying the only reason Halak looked so good was because they were perimeter shots, well that was a result of good coaching.