HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Prospect Info: NCAA/CHL UFA's of Interest (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=892819)

Chainshot 03-19-2011 08:28 AM

NCAA/CHL UFA's of Interest

I was thinking about this last night but didn't have time to put in the effort.... :laugh:

Chainshot 03-19-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 31762549)
Is there anyone out there to be had??? Man I miss NHL network otherwise I might have the slightest clue ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 31763269)
Perhaps this is better suited for a free agency thread, but we don't have one.
I was going to create one but figured people would get angry because the season isn't over.

C Carter Camper (Miami, CCHA NCCA) (Stats)
C Stéphane Da Costa (Merrimack, HE NCAA) (Stats) *Probably the best NCAA forward available.
C Andy Miele (Miami, CCHA NCAA) (Stats)
LW Paul Zanette (Niagara, AHA NCAA) (Stats)
RW Matt Ambroz (Nebraska-Omaha, WCHA NCAA) (Stats)
RW Paul Thompson (New Hampshire, HE NCAA) (Stats)

D Sebastian Erixon (Timrċ, Elitserien) (Stats)
D Chay Genoway (North Dakota, WCHA NCAA) (Stats)

G Viktor Fasth (AIK, Elitserien) (Stats)
G Iiro Tarkki (Espoo, SM-liiga) (Stats)

Bakes is high on Andy Miele, tiny but super-competitive kid.

Here are some highlights (thanks Leafsfan64):

The issue is that he has already been to Caps Dev Camp. Then again, looking at the Sabres current lack of depth in the middle, this should be an appealing destination due to the chance of increased playing time.

------------------------------------------------

They have looked at a couple of Ice Dogs in the past in current 'Dogs captain Andrew Agozzino and current Major Chris DeSousa. Both are typically undersized but high-motor types who can be tenacious little buggers. I like Agozzino more, but DeSousa has a bit of the small, yappy-dog, antagonizer in him that Kaleta has and with Pat's ever dubious state of health, getting another guy of his ilk in the pipe isn't necessarily a bad thing.

DaCosta seems to be the big prize if he decides to turn pro. If the Sabres wanted to restock quickly on offensive contributors to the Pirates who might be ready sooner rather than later... he's someone to put at the top of the list.

Chainshot 03-19-2011 09:15 AM

Ferris State's Pat Nagle has come up before -- goalie with a good frame and some very good numbers this season and last.

BC's John Muse is small but has had a solid run in net for the Eagles. Not the best option probably... small and with a stacked team in front of him.

If Enroth is graduating as it seems, they don't have anyone high-end in the pipeline to fill that void. A solid addition from the NCAA ranks may fill that hole nicely.

AV18 03-19-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 31765927)
BC's John Muse is small but has had a solid run in net for the Eagles. Not the best option probably... small and with a stacked team in front of him.

Boooo John Muse :(

jflory81 03-19-2011 05:07 PM

Brian Burke was at Ritter Arena last weekend...the assumption was that he was scouting Tyler Brenner....big winger with soft hands, 6th in the NCAA in goals this year.

Chainshot 03-20-2011 10:23 AM

Watched the Redhawks game from last night this morning. Miele. Yes. Please. Knapp not playing was a bummer, but Miele was particularly impressive.

Chainshot 03-21-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflory81 (Post 31772174)
Brian Burke was at Ritter Arena last weekend...the assumption was that he was scouting Tyler Brenner....big winger with soft hands, 6th in the NCAA in goals this year.

Good call flory -- Brenner signed with the Leafs today.

jflory81 03-21-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 31816620)
Good call flory -- Brenner signed with the Leafs today.

I heard a rumor at Blue Cross this weekend that it was pretty much a done deal once RIT's season ended. I don't want to have to root for a Maple Leaf :(

thefifagod 03-21-2011 04:34 PM

Seen Da Costa a few times, impressive every single time. I look forward to watching him play against Notre Dame in the tournament.

Boose30 03-22-2011 02:05 PM

i like paul zanette. mostly cuz he playes for the team where i currently attend college. he nvr really got his chance until this season cuz the coach is a moron and doesnt give the good players playing time. his game turned around this year after getting to work with former sabre Jay McKee who was Niagaras assistant coach. if we take him we could wait a couple yrs and pick up his brother marc and see if we can get a sedin type thing working in buffalo with the zanette's lol

jfb392 03-22-2011 03:40 PM

Pat Nagle has signed with Tampa Bay.

Time to stop sitting on your hands, Darcy.

SabresOfBuffalo 03-22-2011 03:57 PM

Any word about 2-time Hobey Baker finalist Chase Polacek from RPI signing anywhere? I am currently doing my Masters at RPI and I have seen him play a lot. Reminds me a lot of Marty St. Louis, except he plays center more than wing.

Chainshot 03-22-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 31836772)
Pat Nagle has signed with Tampa Bay.

Time to stop sitting on your hands, Darcy.

Damn, that's one I would've liked. Granted, he's probably looking at Miller (and perhaps Enroth) and thinking he'll get more time sooner in T'bay.

Two good ones out of the current crop would be mana for the farm, perhaps even make up for some of the second round pick deals if they can land someone like DaCosta or Miele.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresOfBuffalo (Post 31837075)
Any word about 2-time Hobey Baker finalist Chase Polacek from RPI signing anywhere? I am currently doing my Masters at RPI and I have seen him play a lot. Reminds me a lot of Marty St. Louis, except he plays center more than wing.

He has not signed with anyone yet.

jflory81 03-22-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresOfBuffalo (Post 31837075)

RPI is in the national tournament. He can't sign anywhere until his season is over (this also goes for Da Costa w/ Merrimack)

Chainshot 03-22-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflory81 (Post 31837633)
RPI is in the national tournament. He can't sign anywhere until his season is over (this also goes for Da Costa w/ Merrimack)

Same with Miele since the RedHawks are playing UNH.

SabresOfBuffalo 03-22-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jflory81 (Post 31837633)

Right, thanks.

Chainshot 03-25-2011 12:00 PM

Canisius senior Cory Conacher has signed an ATO with the Amerks.

jfb392 03-26-2011 05:35 PM

After Miami's loss today, Camper and Miele are free agents.
Ambroz, Muse, and Polacek are too after their teams were also eliminated over the past day.
Zanette didn't play in the tournament of course, but I'm not sure if he is even interested in going pro (he kind of lead on that he didn't want to on Twitter).
Thompson and Genoway are both in the second round after UND and UND wins today.

Edit: Da Costa's season is over after a 4-3 OTL to Notre Dame.
Fire up the fax machine, Darcy.

Pengo 03-27-2011 02:30 PM

Any chance we sign Stephane Da Costa?

Hobey Baker 03-27-2011 05:15 PM

It's possible I suppose. The Sabres are probably looking at all center options after the deadline found few available. I prefer Miele out of Miami but Da Costa could help the farm.

Chainshot 03-27-2011 06:20 PM

Get in on this action, Sabres. Please.

jfb392 03-28-2011 07:31 PM

Thompson to Pittsburgh, Zanette to Hamilton on an ATO, Da Costa apparently to Florida and the Sabres weren't even mentioned as one of the teams interested.

**** you, Darcy.
Can't wait for you to sign another Turnbull.

ttcminaker 03-28-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 31964006)
Thompson to Pittsburgh, Zanette to Hamilton on an ATO, Da Costa apparently to Florida and the Sabres weren't even mentioned as one of the teams interested.

**** you, Darcy.

OK, whatever.

The thing people have to remember is that you can only offer a top college prospect so much money. When that is the case and the salary offers are the same, the player looks for the best opportunity to play right away. Da costa is going to go to a team like Ottawa or Florida because he can play in their top 6 right away. Who even knows if De costa turns out. Bozak and Gilroy were supposed "elite ufas" a couple years ago and I haven't been impressed with either guy in the least.

And how do you know Regier hasn't been in on these guys. These "sources" don't know every conversation that has taken place.

OpethianSabre20 03-28-2011 08:55 PM

Zanette signed with the Habs. That awesome news for him and the NU hockey program. :handclap:

joshjull 03-28-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 31964006)

**** you, Darcy.

Easy now :laugh:

With the amount of junior players making the jump, I don't see this something to get this wound up over.

I think they will be targeting NHL help in the summer. Which means, unlike in years past, our top prospects will not be asked to make the jump to fill holes if they're not ready (as in Adam will likely stay in Portland next year). Throw in Kassian, Foligno and a few others and they should be in good shape.