HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mike Grier, anybody else think he's looking old (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=893219)

HogtownSabresfan 03-20-2011 08:01 AM

Mike Grier, anybody else think he's looking old

I think this is likely Grier's last year in the NHL. To me he has looked very old and slow last half dozen games. I think he can help us if we make the playoffs. But it's my opinion the dude is going to need to be rested going in. This sked seems to me sucking the life out of him or maybe he's playing injured. I don't like his game. I expect the stone hands but bad clears and missing checks is odd for him.

rabi 03-20-2011 08:46 AM

yea, three years ago....

jlr 03-20-2011 09:09 AM

All season...

Luceni 03-20-2011 09:23 AM

He is doing great. scored on a breakaway a few weeks ago, remember? :sarcasm:

boots electric 03-20-2011 09:55 AM

I actually thought Grier looked like he had a bit of a jump in his stride last night. The three days rest plus the other games he missed due to injury did him some good I think.

That supports the idea that he could use some rest down the stretch, but I don't think he's quite done contributing

5 Minute Major 03-20-2011 11:27 AM

His days in Buffalo are over at the end of the season and, probably, his days in the NHL as a player are over as well.

Seems like a good guy and someone worth keeping around in some capacity if he's interested.

dire wolf 03-20-2011 12:11 PM

yep - but he still breaks up more passes on the PK than anyone else. but he's done after this year

Tim Murray 03-20-2011 12:54 PM

I thought the same last year and he's one of like 3 guys who showed up for the playoffs.

Sabretip 03-21-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 31786551)
I think this is likely Grier's last year in the NHL. To me he has looked very old and slow last half dozen games. I think he can help us if we make the playoffs. But it's my opinion the dude is going to need to be rested going in. This sked seems to me sucking the life out of him or maybe he's playing injured. I don't like his game. I expect the stone hands but bad clears and missing checks is odd for him.

He's been that way the entire season IMO - the only reason we haven't noticed it as much is because he plays on the same line often with Niedermayer, who's looked even older and slower.

Obviously, Ruff has acknowledged the same with the reduced ice time he's given Grier in the 2nd half of the season.

Sabretip 03-21-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luceni (Post 31787003)
He is doing great. scored on a breakaway a few weeks ago, remember? :sarcasm:

As the saying goes, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while......" ;)

Kruschiki 03-21-2011 05:50 PM

He hasn't stood out at all to me, and for someone in his role, that's a good thing.

SabresAreScaryGood 03-21-2011 06:00 PM

My Playoff lines if we even make it are..

Vanek - Connolly - Pominville
Ennis - Hecht - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Stafford
Nieds - McCormick - Kaleta

Grier
Mancari

Sabretip 03-21-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 31818706)

Ennis - Hecht - Boyes

Grier
Mancari

By no means am I a huge fan of Mancari but he certainly adds more in size and scoring ability than Niedermayer does IMO.

SabresAreScaryGood 03-21-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 31818829)
By no means am I a huge fan of Mancari but he certainly adds more in size and scoring ability than Niedermayer does IMO.

I just have Nieds in there because he has won a cup before.

Ruff is going to have a hard job to do, Grier was one of the only forwards to show up last year vs Boston. He may have to sit both Nieds and Grier, but I doubt he does.

I think the top 6 will be easy for round 1.

OpethianSabre20 03-21-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood (Post 31818706)

Ennis - Hecht - Boyes

Grier
Mancari

There's no way Mike Grier would be sitting in the press-box on my team in the playoffs.

dire wolf 03-22-2011 12:29 AM

don't worry guys -- assuming we even make the playoffs, there are likely to be injuries that help sort this stuff out

SuperNintendoChalmrs 03-22-2011 12:46 AM

Rec league player speed. :laugh:

He'll call it a career this summer.

SwordsgoneWild 03-22-2011 01:11 AM

Well if we do make the playoffs this year hopefully him and Nieds can elavate their game and bring the grit.

I actually was pretty happy when we picked him up last year. He had his up and downs but he did bring it in the playoffs unlike some other guys on this team. Hopefully that proves to be the case this year too.

HockeyH3aven 03-22-2011 01:28 AM

I would kill to have 28 year old Grier on this team. His hockey smarts and desire are some of the best in the league, but the body just isn't able anymore.

SwordsgoneWild 03-22-2011 01:47 AM

If he is gone after this year I will always miss his patented short-handed breakaway whiffs:sarcasm:

Ron Barr 03-22-2011 02:02 AM

http://blogs.thescore.com.s3.amazona...ier-front-.jpg

SwordsgoneWild 03-22-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Barr (Post 31828112)

:laugh:

He sure was a damn good player in Oil Town though.

iknowphysics 03-22-2011 01:21 PM

It really seems like even when he does catch a break, he has trouble executing with cinderblock hands. That breakaway goal was the first time he deked instead of shot in as long as I can remember him controlling the puck since he's come back, which was also probably what threw off the goalie.

As TSN once wrote about Andrew Peters, "You'll never mistake him for Rocket Richard."

I like Mike as a hardworking locker room guy, but he's got worse production than Rob Niedermayer, and that ****'s not okay.

Ana Crusis 03-22-2011 01:26 PM

Grier was our best player in last years playoff vs Boston remember? No way i would sit this guy if we make the playoff .

joshjull 03-22-2011 01:36 PM

Grier/Nieds/McCormick do their job most nights. I really have no issues with Grier or that line. I also highly doubt Grier or Nieds comes out of the lineup in the playoffs.