HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who do you want in the first round of the playoffs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=893348)

DrinkFightFlyers 03-20-2011 02:49 PM

Who do you want in the first round of the playoffs?

About ten games left in the season and matchups are starting to form. Since the Flyers have officially clinched I thought it would be a good threat to see who people wanted to play. I'm pulling for Carolina to make it in. Buffalo or NY I think we can handle but Lundqvist and Miller scare me more than Ward and the Rags and Sabres have some guys who can score.

duffy9748 03-20-2011 03:08 PM

Rangers are pretty hot and hopefully stay in the 7 spot. I wouldn't mind a NYR/Washington series. I still think we beat them in 5 or 6 if we play the Rangers.

Carolina is a team we usually do well against and I also believe we'd take them out in 5 or 6. They have something the other teams don't though and that is a legit scoring threat. Gaborik seems to disappear in big games and has never really hurt the Flyers so I'm excluding him. Eric Staal is a great playoff performer as is Cam Ward. They usually seem to play well to when they make the dance.

Buffalo would be my preferred matchup. Their offense doesn't scare me and Miller seems wore down. I think we would take them out in 5 at most.

1.Buffalo
2.Carolina
3.NYR

Giroux tha Damaja 03-20-2011 03:13 PM

I don't know that I have a specific preference amongst the Flyers likely play off opponents. They can all be dangerous.

SeanVT395 03-20-2011 03:17 PM

Montreal...please?

If not Carolina. One could argue about Ward but chances are they'll face a team that has an elite goalie (NYR, Buffalo)

Jester 03-20-2011 03:23 PM

Carolina is clearly the no. 1 choice... We've handled Lundqvist relatively well, so getting the Rangers isn't a terrible option. Buffalo would worry me the most of those three.

HoverCarle* 03-20-2011 03:30 PM

Sucks that all 3 of them have really good goalies.

That said, I would prefer Carolina probably, then NYR then Buffalo.

NYR's D are very very green

infidelappel* 03-20-2011 03:50 PM

I don't want to deal with Miller or Ward and the Canes. It seems like most years when the Hurricanes make the playoffs, they're good for at least one upset. They have a way of pulling together as a team and pulling out terrific performances, so I don't want to see them if we can avoid it.

Miller can flat-out dominate games when he's on it, and it's possible he could steal a series if Buffalo gets good production from its scorers.

I'll take NYR out of those three. I think we shut them down pretty well in a series.

MountainHawk 03-20-2011 03:59 PM

Doesn't matter. Flyers are superior to every team in the East.

HoverCarle* 03-20-2011 04:02 PM

I wonder if laviolette knows some secrets about the canes or vice versa that could be exploited

GKJ 03-20-2011 04:04 PM

Toronto.

Carolina is fine too, but Ward scares me. The guy's proven to be money in the playoffs.

infidelappel* 03-20-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 31794317)
I wonder if laviolette knows some secrets about the canes or vice versa that could be exploited

He might know a few tendencies, but at this point I doubt that he really knows anything significant.

Jester 03-20-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 31794268)
Doesn't matter. Flyers are superior to every team in the East.

Doesn't mean every team leads to equal odds of getting to the next round.

Garbage Goal 03-20-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 31793624)
Carolina is clearly the no. 1 choice... We've handled Lundqvist relatively well, so getting the Rangers isn't a terrible option. Buffalo would worry me the most of those three.

This.

MountainHawk 03-20-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 31794377)
Doesn't mean every team leads to equal odds of getting to the next round.

I'll be pretty surprised if the Flyers lose more than 3 games in the Eastern playoffs first 2 rounds. Boston and Washington could put up an interesting fight, but they are both proven playoff chokers that I'll worry about when they show me they can get to the ECF. Other than that, the Flyers are -200 or better against every team in the East.

Razor the Goalie 03-20-2011 04:13 PM

To me it's not the team we play, it is they way we play, we are by far the deepest team in East, so for me it is we beat ourselves.

Miss Mess 03-20-2011 04:19 PM

Hmm.. tough question. Any team we meet will be a challenge. I guess I would prefer to play Montreal.

I don't want to play Miller

Sawdalite 03-20-2011 04:19 PM

To be Mr. Obvious and not join in the discussion of the question... the Flyers have to be able to beat every team in the NHL o win the Cup... Rather than count on other teams to pull the upsets for them, maybe they can just pull off a win against the most difficult team for them to play themselves?

For them to be able to clear the board they have to have that moxie they had last season as well as the resolve the luck... and they must each play up to their capability and push the envelope while having a hot player and/or line in each series and be able to overcome any and all injuries that are bound to happen... and have capable goaltending that will not lose games for them while stealing a couple. Last season hey had all that but for the goaltending in the Finals.

This may be a cop out to say, but I honestly feel that it is more a matter of all hat then it is who hey play... IMO if they all play as they have shown they can play, and have no major injuries, they can beat any team in a series -- a very big 'if' -- If Pronger can come back and be his old self my largest fear is the goaltending letting them down... Can Bob be like Hexy in his rookie season?

But to actually answer the question... I don't want them to play a Devils team that can storm into the Dance. BUT, IMO, the Devils have too much ground to gain in too short a span.

EDIT: That really didn't answer the question, did it?... I answered who I DIDN'T want. haha

JCameron418 03-20-2011 04:35 PM

Anyone

nevermore 03-20-2011 05:01 PM

Buffalo. The Rangers annoy me and Carolina's rep scares me a little bit.
Leafs aren't gonna make it.

Intentional Icing 03-20-2011 05:20 PM

i think in a best of 7 series the flyers have an advantage against every team. that being said...

1. rangers
2. buffalo

Gert B Frobe 03-20-2011 05:29 PM

I'll take Buffalo if I could pick. After Montreal the teams competing for 7 and 8 are not that good. The Rangers might knock off the Caps but I seriously doubt it. Pittsburgh won't beat Tampa either.

Jester 03-20-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 31794489)
I'll be pretty surprised if the Flyers lose more than 3 games in the Eastern playoffs first 2 rounds. Boston and Washington could put up an interesting fight, but they are both proven playoff chokers that I'll worry about when they show me they can get to the ECF. Other than that, the Flyers are -200 or better against every team in the East.

We were the only series that went to less than 6 games in the first round last year.

Both ECF Semis went 7 games, and the West went 5 and 6 games.

Year before that, the Bruins swept the 1st round (lost in the 2nd)... you had two 7 game series, and a 6 game series. Both ECF semis went 7 games.

So on, and so forth... this team is beatable, I think you're grossly overconfident here in dismissing potential opponents and the various risks they pose... even in the early rounds. As of right now, a quite likely 2nd round opponent would be TB, who has caused all kinds of problems for us.

RJ8812 03-20-2011 05:40 PM

doesnt matter

this team can beat any team if they play their A game. if they don't bring their A game when it's the playoffs, then we dont deserve to win

Jester 03-20-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 31796519)
doesnt matter

this team can beat any team if they play their A game. if they don't bring their A game when it's the playoffs, then we dont deserve to win

It does matter, though. Avoiding tougher matchups earlier leads to better prospects down the line... you don't want to get into a grinding series that wears you out. Even if this team plays their best, not all opponents are created equal and you want to avoid the ones that will take the most out of you.

SolidSnakeUS 03-20-2011 06:07 PM

Montreal or Carolina are my bets for what we want in the first round. The Rags and Sabres have been scoring like crazy of late.