HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prospect Info: Kuhnhackl signs three-year entry level contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=894175)

Shrimper 03-22-2011 04:11 PM

Kuhnhackl signs three-year entry level contract

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...wt-pghpenguins

Seems to be coming along well now, hopefully see him in action for WBS and Pittsburgh next season.

Sideline 03-22-2011 04:24 PM

I'll say the same thing here that I said in the prospect thread: the big news is that he's now 192 lbs. Given that he was 170ish on draft day it's a great amount of progress. It's not inconceivable for him to be pro (AHL) sized in time for camp in the fall.

HuskerTornado 03-22-2011 04:26 PM

2 Koons in the organization....hmmm. I guess Kuhnhackl's nickname could be Knock...quite a dilemma.

Sideline 03-22-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskerTornado (Post 31837561)
2 Koons in the organization....hmmm. I guess Kuhnhackl's nickname could be Knock...quite a dilemma.

I'm going with:

Tom=> Tommy Boy => Farley

Skk82 03-22-2011 04:28 PM

Does Kuhnhackl is he eligible for the AHL this year (once his junior season is over)? Wouldn't he count as a European player -- since that's where he was playing the year before his draft? Don't know all the rules or why they'd time this signing now.

Even if he doesn't get into WB/S playoff games, just having him practice around the team and see the pros in action should be a good step for him this spring.

And would this mean AHL next year or back to the OHL? I wouldn't think that going back to Juniors to get big minutes (and try to play WJC-20 with Germany again) would be such a bad option, then jump to the pros for 2012-13.

TopShelfGoal 03-22-2011 04:29 PM

Hoping he improves and develops well. He can play either LW or RW.

EDIT: I actually don't know much about him, but I did read that somewhere.

Sideline 03-22-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skk82 (Post 31837585)
Does Kuhnhackl is he eligible for the AHL this year (once his junior season is over)? Wouldn't he count as a European player -- since that's where he was playing the year before his draft? Don't know all the rules or why they'd time this signing now.

Even if he doesn't get into WB/S playoff games, just having him practice around the team and see the pros in action should be a good step for him this spring.

And would this mean AHL next year or back to the OHL? I wouldn't think that going back to Juniors to get big minutes (and try to play WJC-20 with Germany again) would be such a bad option, then jump to the pros for 2012-13.

He is technically a Euro pick so the Pens can put him in any league (NHL, AHL, ECHL, and OHL for sure. I think even European leagues).

Germany did not qualify for the WJC main tournament. They play in the qualifying tournament next year (against teams like France, Denmark, Kazakhstan etc.).

I haven't watched him for more than a month now, but depending on how his speed looks in the fall the AHL might be the best option for him. It looks like his size will be good enough for the pros and the baby Pens will have a lot of potential for roster turnover this off season.

WickedWrister 03-22-2011 04:47 PM

I'd personally like to see him spend another year in Windsor. Problem is that he would take up an overager as well as a european slot on the team.

Bylsmagic 03-22-2011 04:51 PM

I don't follow major junior hockey at all, but I'm assuming Windsor made the playoffs? Doesn't that conflict with WB/S playoffs? If so, why sign him now?

Burgs 03-22-2011 04:56 PM

Kühnhackl won't be an overager since he doesn't turn 20 until February. You only count as overage when you're 20 before Jan 1 of a season.

Duck Paddy 03-22-2011 04:57 PM

Some of you guys amaze me. I have a hard enough time knowing anything about our AHL guys that don't get any time up in the bigs. How do you people keep tabs on the development of every prospect we draft?

Sideline 03-22-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bylsmagic (Post 31837962)
I don't follow major junior hockey at all, but I'm assuming Windsor made the playoffs? Doesn't that conflict with WB/S playoffs? If so, why sign him now?

Yes, Windsor made the playoffs, but their playoffs start on Thursday and could hypothetically be over by March 30th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Paddy (Post 31838074)
Some of you guys amaze me. I have a hard enough time knowing anything about our AHL guys that don't get any time up in the bigs. How do you people keep tabs on the development of every prospect we draft?

When you live in a QMJHL city and get the OHL package for free with Centre Ice it's hard not to follow the prospects.

Dread Pirate Roberts 03-22-2011 05:02 PM

Good. He's talent enough to merit it and seems to be working hard enough to deserve it.

Mordax 03-22-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

this :laugh:

Get To Our Game 03-22-2011 05:09 PM

Honestly, after getting Twitter and finding people to follow that cover specific junior or minor league teams, or general scouting websites/people, my knowledge of the CHL has shot way up.

WickedWrister 03-22-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgs (Post 31838064)
Kühnhackl won't be an overager since he doesn't turn 20 until February. You only count as overage when you're 20 before Jan 1 of a season.

Oops.

I assume that Windsor would love to have Kuhn back?

Sideline 03-22-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 31838284)
Oops.

He'll have a spot for sure if he's sent back. He's pretty much a lock for 50 goals and 90+ points next year.

Burgs 03-22-2011 05:15 PM

With Ellis, Kassian, Johnston and Carnevale all leaving I think they absolutely want and need Kühnhackl and Khokhlachev back as key players next season.

WickedWrister 03-22-2011 05:26 PM

I am always a little confused by this, but when does his entry level contract kick in?

SirBrad 03-22-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah no kidding.

Must not have wives and girlfriends sucking their time dry. ;)

FlyingPenguin 03-22-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 31838284)
Oops.

Absolutely, yes. Kuhnhackl was (for a few months) wearing a letter earlier this year, and this was his first year in the organization.

He'd be a huge returnee in that he'd bring a lot of offensive ability and chemistry with Khokhlachev, making up our top line.

He'd be looked to as a a leader both in the room and on the ice for what's likely to be a really young Spits team next year. I'd love to see him back, he's a great player and seems like a really down-to-earth, hard working guy.

That said, he's got a bomb of a shot, good skating, pro size, and he's getting to be a physical force too, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him make WB/S next year. He certainly deserves the chances he'll get, given the signing.

Sideline 03-22-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 31838555)
I am always a little confused by this, but when does his entry level contract kick in?

Not this year. It starts next season if he plays in the AHL or ECHL, it slides if he plays in the OHL.

eXile59 03-22-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

It kind of becomes an obsession I guess. Over time it gets worse. It goes from watching Ryan Whitney his freshman year to watching every German game you can catch to see a 4th round pick like Kuhn. Plus I live near Hersey so every time the baby pens come by I see the games, guys who post here live around junior teams, college teams ect...

Anybody think he is staying in Windsor for another year?

eXile59 03-22-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideline (Post 31837533)
I'll say the same thing here that I said in the prospect thread: the big news is that he's now 192 lbs. Given that he was 170ish on draft day it's a great amount of progress. It's not inconceivable for him to be pro (AHL) sized in time for camp in the fall.

Hockeydb has him listed as 183. If he is 192 that's a pretty thick guy for 6'2'' but still room to add if he wants. I didn't realize he had put on that much size.

Sideline 03-22-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXile59 (Post 31838945)
Hockeydb has him listed as 183. If he is 192 that's a pretty thick guy for 6'2'' but still room to add if he wants. I didn't realize he had put on that much size.

The link in the OP has him at 192 and that's the Pens official site so I'm confident in that number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXile59 (Post 31838884)
It kind of becomes an obsession I guess. Over time it gets worse. It goes from watching Ryan Whitney his freshman year to watching every German game you can catch to see a 4th round pick like Kuhn. Plus I live near Hersey so every time the baby pens come by I see the games, guys who post here live around junior teams, college teams ect...

Anybody think he is staying in Windsor for another year?

I don't think he has anything left to prove in the OHL. He was scoring at a 50 goal pace after his first 10 games and when you consider the OHL season is 68 games that's a huge number.