HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Im interested to see what Sather does this offseason (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=894524)

Marc Staal 03-23-2011 02:38 PM

Im interested to see what Sather does this offseason
 
This the offseason to see if Sather has changed any of his ways and to see if the "youth movement" him and Torts have been advocating is actually true or not.

This FA class is not worth while besides Richards. It is Richards or Bust. After him there are average/mediocre players looking for contracts. If this clown wastes cap space on a guy like injury prone Markov or old Kovalev or anyone else, I don't even know.

If not Richards, i'd like to stand pat, resign all our young guys, bring up a guy like Kreider to compete in camp, and save cap space for a great PMD like Burns in 2012. Redden, Drury off the books that summer, we will be in great shape to make moves.

Staal/Burns pairing in the future. drool

New York RKY 03-23-2011 02:41 PM

Most likely that's the plan.

Richards or bust. The only other thing I disagree with is that Drury will likely be off the books this year, and I don't believe Redden is a UFA until like 2014.

Levitate 03-23-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Staal (Post 31858855)
This the offseason to see if Sather has changed any of his ways and to see if the "youth movement" him and Torts have been advocating is actually true or not.

This FA class is not worth while besides Richards. It is Richards or Bust. After him there are average/mediocre players looking for contracts. If this clown wastes cap space on a guy like injury prone Markov or old Kovalev or anyone else, I don't even know.

If not Richards, i'd like to stand pat, resign all our young guys, bring up a guy like Kreider to compete in camp, and save cap space for a great PMD like Burns in 2012. Redden, Drury off the books that summer, we will be in great shape to make moves.

Staal/Burns pairing in the future. drool

With the ridiculous amounts of young players this team has been integrating since the lockout I think it's foolish to question whether the "youth movement is real" at this point.

kennglin13 03-23-2011 03:03 PM

We've got to take care of ourselves first. We've got players on our team who need to be resigned and are due for a pay upgrade.

Lord knows how much Callahan is gonna get this offseason the way he has been playing lately

Panfork 03-23-2011 03:12 PM

I mostly agree, except about Burns. This is a really terrible FA year. After Richards, the only thing left that's notable is Simon Gagne. And I'll be steaming if Sather signs him for anything but a Frolovesque contract. He's not capable of playing a full season anymore, and who knows what he has left to contribute even when he is on the ice. I'm not sure he's worth a look anymore, but you know Sather will inquire about a price to see if he can swindle him.

I really do wish there was the slightest chance Burns made it to FA next summer. That's like, my wet dream.

hpNYR 03-23-2011 03:18 PM

I'd take a look at Ville Leino if the Richards thing gets out of hand.

Vitto79 03-23-2011 03:20 PM

I think this is the plan but there could be a trade we don't see coming

Plan #1 Sign Richards, Sign all RFA's , let Gilroy and all UFA's walk. Keep injecting youth

Plan #2 Sign all RFA's, If they miss out on Richards sign cheaper 1 yr deals with Prospal and McCabe. Again let Gilroy and the rest of the UFA's walk. Keep rolling with youth.

WhipNash27 03-23-2011 03:22 PM

Please worry about signing Dubi & Cally to big contracts as well as resigning AA, Sauer, and Boyle before worrying about UFAs.

I can see both Cally & Dubi getting somewhere around 4M each.

gravytrain6t 03-23-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 31859031)
With the ridiculous amounts of young players this team has been integrating since the lockout I think it's foolish to question whether the "youth movement is real" at this point.

Feels like Sather has gone from one extreme to another. He used to bring in any washed up, once upon a time, has been mediocre to star player he can find while neglecting to build from within the organization. Now all of a sudden, the Rangers are going to live or die through the use of home grown talent.
I'd prefer management to be somewhere in the middle.
The core seems to be getting bigger and bigger to the point where the Rangers actual roster is, in fact, "the core." With more core players in Connecticut!!

NikC 03-23-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Staal (Post 31858855)
This the offseason to see if Sather has changed any of his ways and to see if the "youth movement" him and Torts have been advocating is actually true or not.

This FA class is not worth while besides Richards. It is Richards or Bust. After him there are average/mediocre players looking for contracts. If this clown wastes cap space on a guy like injury prone Markov or old Kovalev or anyone else, I don't even know.

If not Richards, i'd like to stand pat, resign all our young guys, bring up a guy like Kreider to compete in camp, and save cap space for a great PMD like Burns in 2012. Redden, Drury off the books that summer, we will be in great shape to make moves.

Staal/Burns pairing in the future. drool

what would you need to convince you that the youth movement is underway, Sather's grandchildren in the lineup?

I'm sure Rangers brass can't wait to get their hands on Markov and Kovalev for his 9th return...

AJRanger 03-23-2011 04:30 PM

Drury intrigues me the most going in to the off-season. I just don't see a spot for him any more; but would they really buy him out? What are the cap implications if they do?

wolfgaze 03-23-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJRanger (Post 31860872)
but would they really buy him out? What are the cap implications if they do?

Certainly...

We would free up $3.3 mil cap space for next season while incurring a $3.6 mil cap hit for the buyout and $1.67 mil cap hit for the 2012-2013 season.

Sather has all these important RFA's to re-sign, RFA's that have had solid seasons.... I don't think there's any reason or logic to spend $7 mil in cap space next year on a player who's close to retirement and at best can play a limited 4th line role.... Rangers have basically moved on without him during this injury filled season so this off-season it will be time to officially do so by buying him out and spending the extra cap space on players who have a long term future with the organization.

SomebodySaveKreider 03-23-2011 04:53 PM

I REALLY hope Drury retires.

This summer, the first priority should be to sign the Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov and Boyle. After that, it should be to get Richards.

New York RKY 03-23-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider (Post 31861225)
I REALLY hope Drury retires.

This summer, the first priority should be to sign the Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov and Boyle. After that, it should be to get Richards.

I think for the Rangers they will go after Richards first, just because of timing.

July 1st roles around they swap him up and then they have more time to work on their own players, I just think they will feel like they will need to act quickly on Richards to ensure they get him (i.e. target him before our own players).

With that said I am 95% confident that by 4 pm on July 1st Richards will be a Ranger.

I also am not that worried about someone offer sheeting our players because I know unless it's something ridiculous (which another team won't do because it will hurt them) Uncle Glennie will match.

I really am not that worried about not getting Richards and not keeping our kids, it's just a matter of time.

iamaranger 03-23-2011 05:01 PM

richards or bust.....maybe a experienced d for the bottom pair/extra.

Jersey Girl 03-23-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 (Post 31861321)
I think for the Rangers they will go after Richards first, just because of timing.

July 1st roles around they swap him up and then they have more time to work on their own players, I just think they will feel like they will need to act quickly on Richards to ensure they get him (i.e. target him before our own players).

With that said I am 95% confident that by 4 pm on July 1st Richards will be a Ranger.

I also am not that worried about someone offer sheeting our players because I know unless it's something ridiculous (which another team won't do because it will hurt them) Uncle Glennie will match.

I really am not that worried about not getting Richards and not keeping our kids, it's just a matter of time.

Not real thrilled with committing a lot of years to a guy with concussion issues.

New York RKY 03-23-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Girl (Post 31861359)
Not real thrilled with committing a lot of years to a guy with concussion issues.

I am thrilled at the fact of adding an arguably top 10 player to a team that needs a number one center. A center, might I add, that would probably put us near the top of the Eastern Conference once our kids mature.

Anyways, my post wasn't my opinion I was talking strictly from the POV of what I expect the Rangers to do.

BlueshirtBlitz 03-23-2011 05:11 PM

This is where the Boogaard contract hurts. When we need every bit of cap space we can get to resign our FA's and get Richards.

Levitate 03-23-2011 05:12 PM

hey if he gets more concussions he'll just have to retire and then he'll be off the books anyways ;)

White Plains Batman 03-23-2011 05:13 PM

Christian Ehrhoff!

Although him and Richards and resigning everyone is impossible to do.

If they are lucky enough to have Redden bolt for Europe and Drury retire, then adding Ehrhoff would be a no brainer. He is a VERY solid DMan and an excellent PP QB.

Chalfdiggity3 03-23-2011 05:15 PM

id love for the rangers to go after Richards this offseason. Its definatly Richards or bust for us.

Let Gilroy, Prospal, Frolov go.

Drury retires.

Redden released from his contract to go play in europe or find his game with another team. Heard alot of comments from him stating he wants out of the A and knows his chances are up with the rangers.

Resign Dubi, AA, Cally, Boyle, feds(cheap), eminger(cheap)

Wolski Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky AA Cally
FA/Prospect Stepan Zucca
Feds Boyle Prust

Staal Girardi
Sauer McDonagh
MDZ/Kundratek/Vtank/McCabe/FA
7th - Eminger

Maybe even trade Wolski, 2 defensive prospects, and a pick for some talented winger

Chalfdiggity3 03-23-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Plains Batman (Post 31861510)
Christian Ehrhoff!

Although him and Richards and resigning everyone is impossible to do.

If they are lucky enough to have Redden bolt for Europe and Drury retire, then adding Ehrhoff would be a no brainer. He is a VERY solid DMan and an excellent PP QB.

WOW i forgot he was a UFA after this season. Hell yea we should definatly try to sign him. He would be amazing on our blueline. but thats if we cant sign richards. Although i do firmly believe Drury is gone(injuries/managment) and Redden is gone too(Wants out of the A)

Punxrocknyc19* 03-23-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Plains Batman (Post 31861510)
Christian Ehrhoff!

Although him and Richards and resigning everyone is impossible to do.

If they are lucky enough to have Redden bolt for Europe and Drury retire, then adding Ehrhoff would be a no brainer. He is a VERY solid DMan and an excellent PP QB.

omg i thought i was the only one that wanted him. Ehrhoff should be on sathers list. he is an underrated dman. sharks were very stupid in trading him :shakehead especially for what they received.

surf 03-23-2011 05:39 PM

There is no way Drury is walking away from 7m next year..Why do you guys think thats whats gonna happen? No chance in hell..He is not Naslund.

Jersey Girl 03-23-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surf (Post 31861859)
There is no way Drury is walking away from 7m next year..Why do you guys think thats whats gonna happen? No chance in hell..He is not Naslund.

Same people who tried to convince us Redden would retire if sent down to the AHL.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.