HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Janne Lahti to Flyers? (from Jokerit, FEL) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=894588)

nudpedler 03-23-2011 06:28 PM

Janne Lahti to Flyers? (from Jokerit, FEL)

Hellou !

Just wanna make a thread what you guys would think about signing Janne Lahti to Flyers. Currently he is playing at Jokerit Helsinki.

He has been more or less injured on last two seasons and this is he's first season for a while when he has been able to practise full summer before season starts.

And man, he is having beast season atm in Finnish Elite League. He was FEL's best goal scorer in this season (59gp; 37g + 22a = 59p) and now on playoffs (4gp; 3g + 5a = 8p).

He is quite strong (6'2" 196lbs) with the puck and typically he's goals are made in front of the net. Good wrist shot (389 shots, shooting percentage 9.5%). Also he have been played all season with two prospects, Kerälä and Pulkkinen (Detroit's prospect).

Flyers have some salarycup issues next season and we do not have picks so maybe he would fit in? Would be great third liner (and maybe more?). There is rumours that he has received lot of offers from KHL and 1 one-way contract from NHL. I guess he will be 500-800k@1 year player in NHL. Low risk - high reward I say.

nice-to-know: years ago he was Leino's linemate and in FEL their play clicked well.

Pity that there is not much video material of him on Youtube. :(

Guy w/ golden helmet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Qmznq5i9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wlYeUKQcw 1:10 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeoe9RxPgk#t=36s

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7423
Too old (born -82) ?

PhillyCurt12 03-23-2011 06:37 PM

i'd kick around the thoresen tires first if we're gonna give a 1-way deal to a european player. worst case scenario would be he's a stud 3rd/4th line energy guy who is a world-class pk'er. i've said it before that i'd love for thor to take carcillo's roster spot (or even powe or nodl if for some reason they aren't re-signed) if none of the phantoms are ready for the show next year.

CS 03-23-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 (Post 31862791)
i'd kick around the thoresen tires first if we're gonna give a 1-way deal to a european player. worst case scenario would be he's a stud 3rd/4th line energy guy who is a world-class pk'er. i've said it before that i'd love for thor to take carcillo's roster spot (or even powe or nodl if for some reason they aren't re-signed) if none of the phantoms are ready for the show next year.

Assuming our top 9 is Richards, Versteeg, Zherdev, Hartnell, Briere, Leino, Giroux, Carter, and vanRiemsdyk...

Then our waiting list is

Nodl

Then Carcillo and Powe depending on whether or not they get re-signed.

Then Wellwood and probably Sestito.

Then Holmstrom and Testwuide.

I don't think it really needs to go past that.

Pretty much all of those players other than Wellwood can play fairly effectively in a fourth line role. So there's really no need to seek European players. While I like Thor, and he would probably be at the top of our list, we're filled with depth role players at the moment.

EasyMac 03-23-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 31863129)
Assuming our top 9 is Richards, Versteeg, Zherdev, Hartnell, Briere, Leino, Giroux, Carter, and vanRiemsdyk...

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Zherdev won't be in our top 9 next season.

RJ8812 03-23-2011 07:43 PM

no thanks

there's no room for him in the top 9

PhilaFlyers 03-23-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyMac (Post 31863912)
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Zherdev won't be in our top 9 next season.

What gives you that idea?......:sarcasm:

sa cyred 03-23-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 31864121)
no thanks

there's no room for him in the top 9

Not saying he will be in the top 9, but next season I see the 9th spot up for grabs. Nodl hasnt solidified it, and might not even be back.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-23-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 31864490)
Not saying he will be in the top 9, but next season I see the 9th spot up for grabs. Nodl hasnt solidified it, and might not even be back.

I agree (if I understand what you are saying). If this guy has any scoring ability why not give him a shot at the top 9. Throw him out there with Leino and see if they can have some Finnish magic.

I personally don't see Z coming back next season and Powe, Nodl, and Carcillo likely all will not be back (hopefully Powe is back because he is one of my favorites and is great on the PK).

I'm guessing there will be about one or two spots up for grabs at TC. Maybe the 6th Defenseman spot and maybe the 12th and or 13th forward spot.

sa cyred 03-23-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 31864644)
I agree (if I understand what you are saying). If this guy has any scoring ability why not give him a shot at the top 9. Throw him out there with Leino and see if they can have some Finnish magic.

I personally don't see Z coming back next season and Powe, Nodl, and Carcillo likely all will not be back (hopefully Powe is back because he is one of my favorites and is great on the PK).

I'm guessing there will be about one or two spots up for grabs at TC. Maybe the 6th Defenseman spot and maybe the 12th and or 13th forward spot.

Ya, I wasn't saying specifically that this guy should be in our top 9, but that our top 9 isnt set right now. Zherdev isnt going to be back. Cant see it. Nodl, Carcillo and Powe are free agents and might not be back. I can see a battle for the 9th spot. Maybe a young guy like Wellwood fights hard for it. He is considered out top offensive prospect (not saying much looking at our prospects though). We dont sign Leino (which I think we will), there are 2 top 9 spots, both at wings (please dont start this 3rd line center thing. Lavy and Homer have showed to not think the same as some here).

We dont win this year, I can maybe see some players being moved.

usahockey22flyers 03-23-2011 08:15 PM

Why's he have a different helmet..

EDIT - the top point scorer gets one!

Juicy Couturier* 03-23-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nudpedler (Post 31862613)
Hellou !

Just wanna make a thread what you guys would think about signing Janne Lahti to Flyers. Currently he is playing at Jokerit Helsinki.

He has been more or less injured on last two seasons and this is he's first season for a while when he has been able to practise full summer before season starts.

And man, he is having beast season atm in Finnish Elite League. He was FEL's best goal scorer in this season (59gp; 37g + 22a = 59p) and now on playoffs (4gp; 3g + 5a = 8p).

He is quite strong (6'2" 196lbs) with the puck and typically he's goals are made in front of the net. Good wrist shot (389 shots, shooting percentage 9.5%). Also he have been played all season with two prospects, Kerälä and Pulkkinen (Detroit's prospect).

Flyers have some salarycup issues next season and we do not have picks so maybe he would fit in? Would be great third liner (and maybe more?). There is rumours that he has received lots of offers from KHL and 1 one-way contract from NHL. I guess he will be 500-800k@1 year player in NHL. Low risk - high reward I say.

nice-to-know: years ago he was Leino's linemate and in FEL their play clicked well.

Pity that there is not much video material of him on Youtube. :(

Guy w/ golden helmet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Qmznq5i9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37wlYeUKQcw 1:10 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVeoe9RxPgk#t=36s

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7423
Too old (born -82) ?

lol, they played the Rocky theme song at the end of the 1st one.

HoverCarle* 03-23-2011 08:34 PM

I'd be fine with it. Compete with Nodl for the 9th spot

RJ8812 03-23-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 31864490)

might as well just bring back Pyorala

sa cyred 03-23-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 31865546)

I think Pyorala was misused. He wasnt known for his offensive abilities. Stevens tried to make it so he was.

I have no problem signing a few foreign guys on 1 year contracts and hoping they play hard for the position.

nudpedler 03-23-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 31865280)
I'd be fine with it. Compete with Nodl for the 9th spot

Personally I would take Lahti over Nodl big time.

Only thing is Nodl's trajectory(?), is he getting better than what he now is.

ShawnTHW 03-23-2011 09:00 PM

I want Thoresen or Tolpeko ;) before I take Lahti

mirimon 03-23-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 31865976)
I want Thoresen or Tolpeko ;) before I take Lahti

How about Ruzicka?

ShawnTHW 03-23-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirimon (Post 31866196)
How about Ruzicka?

Nah. Outstayed his welcome. The Thoresen shouldve stayed longer and Tolpeko shouldve been given more of a shot.

Giroux tha Damaja 03-23-2011 09:42 PM

Thor is so damn cool. As for this Lahti guy, why not give him a shot? A contract though? Nah.

sa cyred 03-23-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 31867071)
Thor is so damn cool. As for this Lahti guy, why not give him a shot? A contract though? Nah.

To get him to even come overseas, they would need to give him atleast a 1 year deal.

JagerPuck 03-24-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 31865546)

Or Thoresen. I think he scored like almost 70 points in the KHL last year.

Matt Ellison had 50.
Man that guy really fudged the Flyers.

Cartsiephan* 03-24-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 31863129)

Then our waiting list is

Nodl

Then Carcillo and Powe depending on whether or not they get re-signed.

Then Wellwood and probably Sestito.

Then Holmstrom and Testwuide.

I don't think it really needs to go past that.

Pretty much all of those players other than Wellwood can play fairly effectively in a fourth line role. So there's really no need to seek European players. While I like Thor, and he would probably be at the top of our list, we're filled with depth role players at the moment.

Have a gut feeling that Zherdev is going back to the KHL, seriously doubt anyone else picks him up and certainly not the Flyers.

flountown 03-24-2011 08:55 AM

I am definitely all for bringing another Fin into the mix. I think Finnish people have an awareness of other Fins similar to that between twins. Some of the passes that Leino and Timonen connect on are ridiculous. If we gave Leino another Fin to play with offensively, it'd be magical to watch.

HoverCarle* 03-24-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 31872707)
I am definitely all for bringing another Fin into the mix. I think Finnish people have an awareness of other Fins similar to that between twins. Some of the passes that Leino and Timonen connect on are ridiculous. If we gave Leino another Fin to play with offensively, it'd be magical to watch.

Swedes must have it to, Lidstrom gave Zetterberg an unreal saucer pass to land him right at the blueline

Pierre Dagenais 03-24-2011 09:00 AM

The habs signed him a couple years ago but he only played for our AHL team (Hamilton Bulldogs).

I think he had problems adapting to North America so he went back to Finland.