HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Phil Kessel? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=895196)

valence 03-24-2011 11:30 PM

Phil Kessel?

Would you guys trade gaborik for phil kessel?

I think the rangers have to add another player but gaborik's play is so frustrating(too much coasting) and sometimes when i watch the leafs play i get the same feeling watching kessel play. Very streaky and crappy defensively but much younger(23). Even when the leafs are playing, he has only scored 1 goal in the last 10 games. You guys can shoot down the thread but hey i felt like starting something.:D update: he scored tonight 'gainst colorado in a 4-3 leafs win.

Unpredictable1 03-24-2011 11:34 PM

A big pass from me. I'm not the hugest fan of Gaborik either, I don't mind him but wouldn't want Kessel in his place.

Kel Varnsen 03-24-2011 11:38 PM

Throw in three first round picks and it's a deal.

JT Kreider 03-24-2011 11:39 PM

if gaborik is moved i'd like to see a package that included brayden schenn coming this way

wolfgaze 03-24-2011 11:45 PM

Rather take a nap in a pricker bush.

MSG the place to be* 03-24-2011 11:45 PM

Not sure if Rangers would pull the trigger. Pretty sure Toronto would not pull the trigger.

tlallstar6 03-25-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genericnyrusername (Post 31894895)
Throw in three first round picks and it's a deal.

lol, I like the sound of this.

/dream

Kane One 03-25-2011 12:33 AM

No way.

clmetsfan 03-25-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 31895046)
Not sure if Rangers would pull the trigger. Pretty sure Toronto would not pull the trigger.

Kessel has never scored more than 60 points and is a waste defensively. Even with Gaborik missing 20 games he'll still give you as much offensive production as Kessel over the course of the season, and he's at least average in his own end. And of course, when healthy Gabby is one of the most dangerous players in the world for an opponent.

Toronto would be fools not to jump at such a deal, and the Rangers would be idiots to do so.

donpaulo 03-25-2011 12:47 AM

and why does TO want to do this ?

ilezia 03-25-2011 01:06 AM

And then do whatever it takes to get Parise over the summer, we could have team USA :sarcasm:

SomE 03-25-2011 01:20 AM

If you think Gabby is frustrating to watch then you will probably projectile vomit while watching kessel

beastly115 03-25-2011 06:13 AM

LOL Kessel disappears even more than Gaborik does. At least when Gaborik disappears it's because he's sitting out with an injury.

turcotte8 03-25-2011 06:27 AM

Sure, then we could trade Staal for Phaneuf.

Miller Time NYR 03-25-2011 06:58 AM

So gaboriks play is frustrating then you prove kessel is rediculously inconsistent and were supposed to swap the two, yea how about no?:naughty:

pld459666 03-25-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valence (Post 31894726)

Didn't bother reading past this question.

Answer - ABSOLUTELY NOT

Now I will read the rest of the post and thread.

pld459666 03-25-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donpaulo (Post 31896377)
and why does TO want to do this ?

they would be getting the better player...hands down

DubiDubiDoo 03-25-2011 08:09 AM

Phil Kessel is so underated here its not even funny. I'm not saying I'd trade him straight up for Gabby, but the Kessel bashing in foolish

He's 23 years old and the past 3 yrs he's got 36, 30 and 29 goals this year with a few games to play.
He's been over 50 pts each year, hit 60 once while he was on a good boston team at the age of 21.The rest has been done with little to no help on an attrocious TO team.

Yeah, I'd sure hate to have a consistent 30 goal scorer at the age of 23 hanging around.

And you people that bash him because he dissappears more than Gabby????
He's younger and outproduces our biggest studs when it comes to work ethic (callahan and Dubinsky).

So yes, will guys like Dubi and Cally make him look lazy, sure, but they will also struglle to keep up with his point production.

Hell, a Kessel-Dubi-Cally line may be the best thing that could happen to the Rangers and Phil Kessel

clmetsfan 03-25-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo (Post 31898308)
Phil Kessel is so underated here its not even funny. I'm not saying I'd trade him straight up for Gabby, but the Kessel bashing in foolish

He's 23 years old and the past 3 yrs he's got 36, 30 and 29 goals this year with a few games to play.
He's been over 50 pts each year, hit 60 once while he was on a good boston team at the age of 21.The rest has been done with little to no help on an attrocious TO team.

Yeah, I'd sure hate to have a consistent 30 goal scorer at the age of 23 hanging around.

And you people that bash him because he dissappears more than Gabby????
He's younger and outproduces our biggest studs when it comes to work ethic (callahan and Dubinsky).

So yes, will guys like Dubi and Cally make him look lazy, sure, but they will also struglle to keep up with his point production.

Hell, a Kessel-Dubi-Cally line may be the best thing that could happen to the Rangers and Phil Kessel

What's the point of comparing Kessel to Cally or Dubi when it would be Gaborik that we're trading? Nothing you said here changes the fact that we'd be trading a superior player for an inferior one.

Fitzy 03-25-2011 09:01 AM

I would make that trade, straight up.

Kessel is going to have been a 30 goal scorer for 3 straight years, as a 23 year old, with very little offensive support the last 2.

Gaborik is an oft injured player who occasionally puts up a 40 goal campaign, but has only accomplished this feat twice due to injury. He is getting close to 30 and has a more expensive contract.

Kessel fits better into Tortorellas style of coaching, and can be relied upon. He doesn't have quite the gamebreaker ability that Gaborik has, but i'd still make that trade easy. Also opens up another 2 million in cap hit for us.

Puckface NYR* 03-25-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 31898795)
I would make that trade, straight up.

Kessel is going to have been a 30 goal scorer for 3 straight years, as a 23 year old, with very little offensive support the last 2.

Gaborik is an oft injured player who occasionally puts up a 40 goal campaign, but has only accomplished this feat twice due to injury. He is getting close to 30 and has a more expensive contract.

Kessel fits better into Tortorellas style of coaching, and can be relied upon. He doesn't have quite the gamebreaker ability that Gaborik has, but i'd still make that trade easy. Also opens up another 2 million in cap hit for us.

Really? Kessel wore out his welcome in Boston fairly quickly. He has had issues in Toronto already.

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2006/07/e...ine-wasnt.html

That's an article reposted from an ESPN article (I couldn't find the original).

This guy doesn't fit in with the Rangers. And i still believe Gaborik has been struggling with injuries most of this year.

Loto68 03-25-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valence (Post 31894726)

I think the rangers have to add another player but gaborik's play is so frustrating(too much coasting) and sometimes when i watch the leafs play i get the same feeling watching kessel play. Very streaky and crappy defensively but much younger(23). Even when the leafs are playing, he has only scored 1 goal in the last 10 games. You guys can shoot down the thread but hey i felt like starting something.:D update: he scored tonight 'gainst colorado in a 4-3 leafs win.

xxxZENxxx 03-25-2011 09:49 AM

Gaborik is a MUCH better defensive player... and he has and edge on the offensive side too. To me, the only way you trade a player like Gaborik is if you are getting a "sure thing" young stud in return.

I think fans like you forget about last year way too easily.

BrooklynRangersFan 03-25-2011 09:51 AM

These players aren't equivalent on talent. Throw in the fact that the LESS talented player already has a reputation as a cancer at the ripe old age of 23...? That's a big no thanks - unless TO wants to sweeten the pot with a first rounder or two.

(Furthermore, the last thing this team needs to be doing is trading a player with game-breaking capability to get a lesser player simply because he's more consistently healthy. Gamebreakers are gamebreakers and we only have one.)

mullichicken25 03-25-2011 10:02 AM

this place...:facepalm:...i swear