HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Patrik Berglund (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=895209)

KlattNazty 03-25-2011 12:19 AM

Patrik Berglund

Hi guys,

I have a few questions about Berglund, coming from a leaf fan, we are sorely lacking a 1C and it was tossed around for a bit about possibly looking at Berglund. So not knowing alot about him, I have a few questions.

How is he doing? Is he improving? Does he still look like he can eventually be a 1C pivot? I know St. Louis is getting a bit crowded up front (or it appears that way) especially with Schwartz and Tarasenko on the way.

What is his skill set like? I remember him being praised for his vision and passing skills as well as his puck protection.

Finally, if we came calling what might the cost be?

Thanks for the help. Cheers from the TO board.

CarvinSigX 03-25-2011 12:56 AM

His shot is improving. Puck protection reminds me of Malkin, as he can dominate when he wants to. His physical play has gone unwarranted this season. Put him on a healthy top line and he'll flourish. As far as value, he's too valuable to give up for anything less than over payment. He is our best natural center, and will force Backes back to the wing. The only way I truly see him leaving is if he's traded in a large deal, or if Burke were to send him a huge offer sheet.

rumrokh 03-25-2011 01:11 AM

He has really come into his own this year. His ability to protect the puck is phenomenal. He pulls off power moves into the slot and towards the front of the net more consistently than Backes or anybody else on the team. He's hitting, playing well in all zones, shooting more, constantly moving his feet, seems to really have a chip on his shoulder, and has improved his faceoffs considerably over the course of the year.

He didn't rack up points for a while because he was playing with Crombeen and Winchester, but he was still regularly the Blues' most impressive forward. When he finally got good wingers in Steen and Oshie, they all went on a tear, Berglund in particular. He's kept up that level of play, lately, which is a major positive, because he's obviously banged up AND has really run out of gas late in the previous two seasons.

Playing with scoring wingers all next year, I think things go nowhere but up. 65+ points, maybe he'll hit or break 50% faceoffs, too, which is something the Blues need badly. And that's not really a projection based on improving his play over this year, just maintaining his past 50 games and more consistency due to a better lineup.

I still would like to see him shoot more, but if he doesn't play with players who can open up space for him, that's a large wish. He skates well for a guy his size, and he has very good skills, but he's not a dangler or speedster who can get free and snipe on his own. At least not yet. Building on the confidence he's displayed this year, who knows? I would not be surprised by 30+ goals and a point per game if the rest of the team stays healthy and emerges around him.

At this point, the Blues would be foolish to move Berglund unless it's part of a package for an upgrade at center. He's the only scoring line center on the Blues who looks completely natural at his position, so, even if the Blues miraculously signed Brad Richards (for example), dealing Berglund for a defenseman or winger still probably doesn't make sense.

KlattNazty 03-25-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrokh (Post 31896622)
He has really come into his own this year. His ability to protect the puck is phenomenal. He pulls off power moves into the slot and towards the front of the net more consistently than Backes or anybody else on the team. He's hitting, playing well in all zones, shooting more, constantly moving his feet, seems to really have a chip on his shoulder, and has improved his faceoffs considerably over the course of the year.

He didn't rack up points for a while because he was playing with Crombeen and Winchester, but he was still regularly the Blues' most impressive forward. When he finally got good wingers in Steen and Oshie, they all went on a tear, Berglund in particular. He's kept up that level of play, lately, which is a major positive, because he's obviously banged up AND has really run out of gas late in the previous two seasons.

Playing with scoring wingers all next year, I think things go nowhere but up. 65+ points, maybe he'll hit or break 50% faceoffs, too, which is something the Blues need badly. And that's not really a projection based on improving his play over this year, just maintaining his past 50 games and more consistency due to a better lineup.

I still would like to see him shoot more, but if he doesn't play with players who can open up space for him, that's a large wish. He skates well for a guy his size, and he has very good skills, but he's not a dangler or speedster who can get free and snipe on his own. At least not yet. Building on the confidence he's displayed this year, who knows? I would not be surprised by 30+ goals and a point per game if the rest of the team stays healthy and emerges around him.

At this point, the Blues would be foolish to move Berglund unless it's part of a package for an upgrade at center. He's the only scoring line center on the Blues who looks completely natural at his position, so, even if the Blues miraculously signed Brad Richards (for example), dealing Berglund for a defenseman or winger still probably doesn't make sense.

Thank you for the information! See this is the type of post that makes you see beyond the stats. The stats tell me he is not having the type of season you are talking about! But its great to hear he is improving with shooting and skating, and is dominating with the puck on his stick. I have always loved that about big centres, their ability to protect the puck.

Is he still looking to put on some weight? Just curious. Well, I doubt Burke goes the route of offer sheet, and idk what a fair trade may look like. I was just wondering because i caught a bit of a blues game and he looked like Sundin-lite out there and it got me reminiscing.

CarvinSigX 03-25-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31896668)
Thank you for the information! See this is the type of post that makes you see beyond the stats. The stats tell me he is not having the type of season you are talking about! But its great to hear he is improving with shooting and skating, and is dominating with the puck on his stick. I have always loved that about big centres, their ability to protect the puck.

Is he still looking to put on some weight? Just curious. Well, I doubt Burke goes the route of offer sheet, and idk what a fair trade may look like. I was just wondering because i caught a bit of a blues game and he looked like Sundin-lite out there and it got me reminiscing.

There were a lot of pre draft scouting reports that compared him to Sundin. I don't feel he needs any weight. He doesn't get bullied even by very big defenders, and he gets called for enough penalties because he's such a large guy. I've seen plenty of calls go to him because he can easily out muscle other players along the boards.

KlattNazty 03-25-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 31896710)
There were a lot of pre draft scouting reports that compared him to Sundin. I don't feel he needs any weight. He doesn't get bullied even by very big defenders, and he gets called for enough penalties because he's such a large guy. I've seen plenty of calls go to him because he can easily out muscle other players along the boards.

Ahhh so im not crazy haha. And yes I remember those calls all to well on Sundin. It takes some experience but Sundin got pretty good at using his size without it ever being called. Im sure Berglund will learn it eventually.

Value wise however, what do the leafs have that could be a real trade? The blues look very young on defense, however I doubt we can help much there as we are as well.

CarvinSigX 03-25-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31896760)
Ahhh so im not crazy haha. And yes I remember those calls all to well on Sundin. It takes some experience but Sundin got pretty good at using his size without it ever being called. Im sure Berglund will learn it eventually.

Value wise however, what do the leafs have that could be a real trade? The blues look very young on defense, however I doubt we can help much there as we are as well.

I'm sure you could offer something big to make fair value, but nothing that the Blues can accept at this time. Our only top level natural centers are Berglund and Schwartz.

KlattNazty 03-25-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 31896788)
I'm sure you could offer something big to make fair value, but nothing that the Blues can accept at this time. Our only top level natural centers are Berglund and Schwartz.

Fair enough. Makes me sad though. Pining for the days of Sundin. :(

BlueSinceBirth 03-25-2011 08:25 AM

This is by far Berglund's most impressive season. His puck protection is elite. The most underrated part of his game is for sure his physical play.

Frenzy1 03-25-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 31896788)

And Schwartz hasn't played center all year. I see him as a LW going forward - due to his size more then anything else - so in reality, beyond Berglund we only have McRae....

CarvinSigX 03-25-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenzy1 (Post 31901306)
And Schwartz hasn't played center all year. I see him as a LW going forward - due to his size more then anything else - so in reality, beyond Berglund we only have McRae....

And that's what I'm hoping for. We are extremely weak on the left as far as prospects are concerned. Something good will happen, we'll draft SC, and we'll have questionably the strongest pool in the league.

KlattNazty 03-25-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 31902491)
And that's what I'm hoping for. We are extremely weak on the left as far as prospects are concerned. Something good will happen, we'll draft SC, and we'll have questionably the strongest pool in the league.

If you guys draft SC i will literally be drooling at your prospect pool and young players on your team. Pietrangelo has blown me away since juniour. You have something special there without a doubt.

But if you nab SC and then Schwartz moves to wing, a line of

Schwarts - SC - Taransenko just looks scary...

Also makes Berglund a little more expendable :naughty:

CarvinSigX 03-25-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31903102)
If you guys draft SC i will literally be drooling at your prospect pool and young players on your team. Pietrangelo has blown me away since juniour. You have something special there without a doubt.

But if you nab SC and then Schwartz moves to wing, a line of

Schwarts - SC - Taransenko just looks scary...

Also makes Berglund a little more expendable :naughty:

I can hope and pray, right? The future is looking extremely bright even without SC. Tarasenko wins gold, Schwartz putting up Parise style number in the NCAA, and Allen doing great in Peoria.

randysavage 03-25-2011 05:43 PM

Pardon me but I'm fairly unfamiliar with the talent coming up for this year's draft and do not know who SC is referring to. Please enlighten.

SneakerPimp82 03-25-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randysavage (Post 31906723)
Pardon me but I'm fairly unfamiliar with the talent coming up for this year's draft and do not know who SC is referring to. Please enlighten.

Sean Couturier

Super Berg 03-28-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31896668)

yeah I agree. I don't get to watch Blues games very much but I always follow Berglund via the box score after every game and his "stats" are just comparable to that of his rookie year, which on its own would be a disappointment since this is year 3.

However, after reading some of these posts I now know that he is improving and growing into his own. This is surely a good sign for his continued development. Although his -15 or whatever is somewhat worrisome.

I really hope year 4 will be a true breakout year where he gets to play consistently with good offensive linemates and score 65 plus pts.

Especially let's hope for a healthy year (after seeing another big young center Kopitar go down)

Jzk 03-29-2011 07:11 AM

His only problem with his game at the moment is he doesn't shoot enough. If he started putting up 300+ shots a year he'd easily score 30.

KlattNazty 03-29-2011 03:19 PM

Yeah I always liked the guy and hoped he wound up here but obvs doesnt seem like its happening.
Just curious, based on value is this somewhat accurate:

Bos 1st
Phi 1st
Macarthur or Gunnarsson
B Level prospect

You guys said it would take overpayment, is this roughly accurate?

EastonBlues22 03-29-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31979249)
Yeah I always liked the guy and hoped he wound up here but obvs doesnt seem like its happening.

Bos 1st
Phi 1st
Macarthur or Gunnarsson
B Level prospect

It's hard to gauge the value of something like this, since so many of the pieces involved are still in flux (i.e. Where will the picks end up? Will MacArthur be able to build on, or even repeat, his unexpected success this year? Etc.).

The only real "holes" on the Blues young roster at this point are a true #1 center and a top pairing LHD. You're asking the Blues to give up their best in-house hope for filling the first need (and one whose play has taken significant strides this season), so it's not likely the Blues would be willing to part with that piece in any sort of realistic scenario.

Gunnarsson doesn't hold much interest for me. I think Cole is going to be better, and I'm not sure he would be an upgrade over Nikitin at this point.

That pretty much leaves it at how much it would take for the Blues to downgrade their center position by moving Berglund for a LW.

Honestly, I don't know why they would do that. They already have three good LWers (McDonald, Perron, and Steen) with a 4th on the way (Schwartz). I certainly don't think they would do it for the package you're offering. Just my opinion.

SteenMachine 03-30-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamshot (Post 31979249)

Bos 1st
Phi 1st
Macarthur or Gunnarsson
B Level prospect

The problem is we're really bad trading partners. You don't trade young guys with high ceiling unless its a win now deal for a guy who's already eclipsed that ceiling. Toronto is a team that wanted to wheel and deal its way to be a contender. It failed miserably under Fletcher, and is questionable with Burke at the helm but finally stabilizing now that he's accepted he has to rebuild to make things work. It's like us trading with Edmonton or the Islanders, they're too far back in their rebuild from our own. Every deal we'd make would just accelerate theirs and screw up ours for 3 years.

Mike Liut 03-30-2011 05:19 PM

Great pass by Bergs to Stewie last night on the PP. I have no interest in trading Bergs. He is going to be a good one.

Prussian_Blue 03-30-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Berg (Post 31966577)
Although his -15 or whatever is somewhat worrisome.

Exaggerate much?

Try minus-6. And an even +/-in his last 25 games...

rumrokh 03-30-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Liut (Post 32006068)
Great pass by Bergs to Stewie last night on the PP. I have no interest in trading Bergs. He is going to be a good one.

One really overlooked aspect of his game is how he uses his teammates. Berglund is always trying to make a play out there, buying time and space for his team.

When the rest of the team is struggling to get through the neutral zone, Berglund hits the ice, makes smart plays back to his defense, gets the puck back, makes a move, buys time, and dishes to the correct guy who has speed and space to cross the blueline and get it deep.
I think that's why it's such a crime to play him with meatheads, because you can only use your teammates as well as they'll let you.

2 Minute Minor 03-30-2011 06:26 PM

Last night I was contemplating, if I could only keep one of Berglund or Oshie...and I have to say, it would be Berglund. That wasn't true last year, and I'm not quite sure when I changed how I felt about it. But I'm very excited to see what he can do next season.

KlattNazty 04-29-2011 02:05 PM

Question guys, if a team offersheets berglund for 5m, do the blues match?