HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone else hoping the Isles will win the lottery? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=895809)

Beacon 03-26-2011 06:46 PM

Anyone else hoping the Isles will win the lottery?

This question is posed only to people who are in their 30s or older. You must remember the Ranger-Islander rivalry, at least in the early 90s. If you remember it going back to the early 80s and late 70s, that much better.

In 1994, the team I wanted to face least were the Isles. They were unbeaten against us in the Mausoleum for 15 games straight, and they broke our unbeaten streak at 14 when we were about to tie our team record.

We beat them easily in the first round, but that sure was not expected.

Playing the Islanders used to be exciting. Every regular season game against them was like Game 7 of the playoffs, but with more fighting.

No current rivalry compares. Debbies? Philthy? Please.

The Rangers are on an up swing now. With the influx of youth, what already happened and what's coming in the near-future, the Rangers will be a very good team.

I want the Ranger-Islander rivalry back. I was really hoping the Isles would finish last overall, but they will likely finish at #5.

Am I the only one hoping they will beat the odds and get a good player at #1, so they will get back to respectability, and fight against us in the playoffs like they used to in previous generations?

MisterUnspoken 03-26-2011 06:55 PM

No **** them

TrollololBoyle 03-26-2011 06:57 PM

I wish upon the Long Island Hockey Club of Kansas City eternal pain and suffering:devdance:

It seems like everyone's hatin' on the Rangers these days... what's one more gonna do?

SwedishBullet62 03-26-2011 06:59 PM

question wasnt posed to me but ill answer with some young naive knowledge... i understand wanting the rivalry back, it pisses me off that there is no real rivalry anymore like it used to be BUT with how tight the east has been in the past years, especially how tight the atlantic; the last thing we need is to face a team with 3 top five picks 6 times a year.

i also dont think it will take another lottery pick for them to be competitive, with streit coming back next year, hamonic and macdonald have been solid and tavares and okposo are only getting better. throw in some solid goaltending and their a tough team to face.

Blue Line Monster 03-26-2011 07:07 PM

They don't need any more help. According to their fans, they already have several younger cheaper versions of Marc Staal.:sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue 03-26-2011 07:08 PM

Careful what you wish for

turcotte8 03-26-2011 07:08 PM

Nope, I hope they are forced to move and are gone forever.
**** them, their fans, and anyone who wore that uniform.

McDonaghisGod 03-26-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 31926905)

This. How many top 5 picks does a team need to be competitive? All we need is another Pittsburgh in our division.

darrenturcotte#8 03-26-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 31926894)

I agree. Watching the Islanders embarrass themselves yr after yr is far better then watching them compete for the cup.

darko 03-26-2011 07:28 PM

No I want to see them down for as long as possible.

Beacon 03-26-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 31927599)
No I want to see them down for as long as possible.

It's been 17 years since we beat up on them. I think two decades is enough. Time to get down and dirty against our hated rival.

McIlrathsWrath 03-26-2011 07:35 PM

The day a rivalry ends is the day their rival starts wishing them luck. **** the islanders. I would love to see them suffer forever.

broadwayblue 03-26-2011 07:36 PM

I want the #1 pick to go out west every year unless it's going to us, which it isn't.

Beacon 03-26-2011 07:39 PM

As things stand, I don't get pleasure from the Isles losing. They are totally off the radar now. They haven't had a solid team since 1992-93.

At the time our division was called... Patrick. And our conference was ... Prince of Wales. That's right, kids, this was before there were East, West, Atlantic, Northeast, etc.

McIlrathsWrath 03-26-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 31927952)
As things stand, I don't get pleasure from the Isles losing. They are totally off the radar now. They haven't had a solid team since 1992-93.

At the time our division was called... Patrick. And our conference was ... Prince of Wales. That's right, kids, this was before there were East, West, Atlantic, Northeast, etc.

You must not be around a lot of islander fans. I live out on the island now and they are everywhere... And I thoroughly enjoy rubbing it in every chance I get! I used to get tortured when the rangers missed the playoffs for 7 years.. You think islander fans were wishing us the best of luck during that time?!

NY Lito 03-26-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 31926905)

:handclap:

**** that team and their fans. I wish terrible things upon anyone associated with that team.

darko 03-26-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 31927952)
As things stand, I don't get pleasure from the Isles losing.

Well here's the thing ... I do.

Hope they are down for a long time.

GWOW 03-26-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 31926230)
This question is posed only to people who are in their 30s or older. You must remember the Ranger-Islander rivalry, at least in the early 90s. If you remember it going back to the early 80s and late 70s, that much better.

In 1994, the team I wanted to face least were the Isles. They were unbeaten against us in the Mausoleum for 15 games straight, and they broke our unbeaten streak at 14 when we were about to tie our team record.

We beat them easily in the first round, but that sure was not expected.

Playing the Islanders used to be exciting. Every regular season game against them was like Game 7 of the playoffs, but with more fighting.

No current rivalry compares. Debbies? Philthy? Please.

The Rangers are on an up swing now. With the influx of youth, what already happened and what's coming in the near-future, the Rangers will be a very good team.

I want the Ranger-Islander rivalry back. I was really hoping the Isles would finish last overall, but they will likely finish at #5.

Am I the only one hoping they will beat the odds and get a good player at #1, so they will get back to respectability, and fight against us in the playoffs like they used to in previous generations?

No way. Screw them.

If you asked any Isles fan in 1983 if they wished the Rangers could draft Yzerman, Lemieux and Simpson just to make the rivalry less one-sided, they would have died from laughter.

My introduction to hockey was the Kenny Morrow series. Since then, I have hated no team more and no fanbase more..

The Isles have been an absolute joke of a franchise for almost 25 years, minus one lucky run to the CF. The only reason I dont want them to move is so the Rangers can still torture them for another 20 years.

Seriously, if you were a Rangers fan between 1980 and 1988, you should never wish the Islanders anything but losing and misery.

I know it sounds rude and somewhat childish, but asking me to wish good fortune on the Isles is tantamount to asking me to root for the same for the Red Sox and Patriots -- Ain't friggin happening

In The Flesh 03-26-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Lito (Post 31928694)
:handclap:

**** that team and their fans. I wish terrible things upon anyone associated with that team.

well this is crazy, but I hope they ****ing move

MorrisWanchuk 03-26-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken (Post 31926583)
No **** them

he said it best.

be careful what you wish for.

Kevin27nyi 03-26-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 31926894)

my first thought.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee (Post 31930778)
If you asked any Isles fan in 1983 if they wished the Rangers could draft Yzerman, Lemieux and Simpson just to make the rivalry less one-sided, they would have died from laughter.

agreed.

the feeling is mutual gentleman, its a rivarly for a reason and i wouldnt have it any other way.

Bob Richards 03-26-2011 10:53 PM

So then we have to deal with Cup contending Philly, talent stacked- crosby/malkin/MAF Pittsburgh, the rebounded Devils, and a magically good Islanders team?

As if this division wasnt hard enough, last thing we need is to have every team in the division be a playoff contender.

nyr2k2 03-26-2011 11:08 PM

It's great when the Isles/Rangers rivalry is on. The best.

The Isles aren't far from being a very competitive team. They just need good health and another two years to mature. Some terrific young talent on that team and in that system. They absolutely do not need another #1 pick.

broadwayblue 03-26-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 31934395)
It's great when the Isles/Rangers rivalry is on. The best.

The Isles aren't far from being a very competitive team. They just need good health and another two years to mature. Some terrific young talent on that team and in that system. They absolutely do not need another #1 pick.

Exactly. I don't mind a rivalry...unless it's one sided against us.

Machinehead 03-26-2011 11:22 PM

Rivalries are great and all, but we have 4 rivals, and my rule is that one of them has to suck, or I'm not happy. I have to laugh at somebody. The Isles can only come back to prominence if somebody takes their place in the scum-hole.