HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   If you could call up Brayden Schenn right now, would you? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=895949)

Orenji 03-27-2011 02:05 AM

If you could call up Brayden Schenn right now, would you?

There are some different opinions on Schenn. Some want him to go for the Memorial Cup and think it would be better for him to play in the Juniors while some think that him coming up for a King playoff run would give him tons of experience for next year as possibly our 2nd line center.

Would you call him up if you could or would you let him finish the year with the Blades?

Ziggy Stardust 03-27-2011 02:08 AM

If it were an option, yes, I would, immediately. He's proven that the WHL isn't a big challenge for him anymore. He's done all that there is to be done at that level, and even in Manchester he was scoring at a point per game pace. I'd put him in a position to succeed, just as Colorado has done with Matt Duchene and Atlanta with Evander Kane.

Orenji 03-27-2011 02:16 AM

Also just so everyone knows. THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO WAYS SCHENN CAN BE CALLED UP:

- Another player on our roster goes down with an injury
- Blades get eliminated from the playoffs

If he did get called up, I think Saskatoon would probably come down to Staples and raid it.

Also I would if we had the chance. Even if we got bounced in the 1st round, I think playing in important games and getting a chance at the playoffs would be bigger for him than anything he could at the junior level. Getting one round of playoff experience in the NHL would prepare him for a major role next season.

TonySCV 03-27-2011 02:31 AM

If it were an option, no doubt about it. It's only because of age rules he's not in the AHL today. If he were there, he'd already be on a plane.

KingLB 03-27-2011 02:36 AM

If he had been in the AHL/NHL all year no problem. But you don't take a 19 year old kid and drop him in playoff action, let alone have him replace your Franchise player.

Dolemite 03-27-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 31936569)
There are some different opinions on Schenn. Some want him to go for the Memorial Cup and think it would be better for him to play in the Juniors while some think that him coming up for a King playoff run would give him tons of experience for next year as possibly our 2nd line center.

Would you call him up if you could or would you let him finish the year with the Blades?

Just an FYI - Schenn can't be called up unless the Kings have one more injury to their roster.

::edit::

Shoot. Someone already said it.

Orenji 03-27-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLB (Post 31936796)
If he had been in the AHL/NHL all year no problem. But you don't take a 19 year old kid and drop him in playoff action, let alone have him replace your Franchise player.

If he was brought up, I'm sure he wouldn't be put in the 1st line role. Maybe if he scored some goals/put up points, but he would more than likely be put in the 2nd or 3rd line role while Zeus or Stoll gets to play with Penner/Moller (or Williams if he's back).

TonySCV 03-27-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Zus
Stoll
Schenn
Whoever Else

DocWest 03-27-2011 03:01 AM

If it was possible, then I would be all for it. But as it stands now, I don't think we'll see him until next season.

KingLB 03-27-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 31936815)
If he was brought up, I'm sure he wouldn't be put in the 1st line role. Maybe if he scored some goals/put up points, but he would more than likely be put in the 2nd or 3rd line role while Zeus or Stoll gets to play with Penner/Moller (or Williams if he's back).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 31936905)
Zus
Stoll
Schenn
Whoever Else

Obviously he isn't "replacing" Kopitar (since nobody on the Kings can), but that is what the story and headlines would be. And it would fall that way on his shoulders intentionally or not.

Orenji 03-27-2011 03:25 AM

Schenn is a confident kid. All reports say that he likes the spotlight and the challenge. I don't think he would fold under the pressure. He might just not be good enough yet to be a #1 center, but I think he could do well for us. I still think he was the most skilled player in the first few games we had. He didn't score, but he showed flashes of true brilliance.

null33 03-27-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

Quattro 03-27-2011 10:45 AM

I think it's laughable that people think we can just bring up Schenn and plug him into Kopitar's spot.

The Judge 03-27-2011 10:50 AM

Hands down YES.

If Kopitar was not injured I will let him play in the Memorial Cup but with Kopitar out. There's nothing to loose but for him to gain valuable experience for Schenn.

That's just me :)

Knight of the Realm 03-27-2011 11:08 AM

Yes, Stanley Cup Playoffs > Memorial Cup

LombardiTool 03-27-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 31936798)
Just an FYI - Schenn can't be called up unless the Kings have one more injury to their roster.

::edit::

Shoot. Someone already said it.

Someone take a club to Harrold's knee!!! :naughty:

Orenji 03-27-2011 12:08 PM

Murray/Lombardi aren't calling anyone up for the Oilers game. They put Westgarth in.

Oops, Westgarth has a broken nose and is out for a while! Looks like we can have Brayden now! :sarcasm:

SuperAlmeida 03-27-2011 12:12 PM

I got this message (PM) from heleneothelen on Twitter:

I asked: @helenenothelen If it's an emergency call up?

Her answer: Dean Lombardi said NO. they cannot recall him under any circumstances until his junior team's season ends.

Orenji 03-27-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida (Post 31939966)
I got this message (PM) from heleneothelen on Twitter:

I asked: @helenenothelen If it's an emergency call up?

Her answer: Dean Lombardi said NO. they cannot recall him under any circumstances until his junior team's season ends.

That makes no sense. If another person goes down with a major injury, isn't there a rule where we're only allowed to call up a certain amount of people from the AHL? If we've already called up everyone we can and the ONLY choice is to pick from the juniors, Schenn has to come up.

Oh well. I don't think we'll get another injury anyway. Hockey Gods don't want Brayden here this year.

etherialone 03-27-2011 12:24 PM

No

I wouldn't call him up until after his season ends for several reasons.

Also, when he comes up I wouldn't consider starting him in AK's spot until after he proved he could handle the responsibility and was capable of doing better at the spot than any of our other forwards. The team has taken a very slow approach to bringing BS along for a great reason and while we need him now he isn't yet in my opinion the version of himself that we need just yet.

Bring him up when his season is over and then plug him into the line up where he fits.

Orenji 03-27-2011 12:29 PM

If he got called up, he would be at best our 2nd liner until he proved otherwise. He would probably be on the 3rd line with Simmonds, etc.

But that is an improvement of what we have now.

Whiskeypete 03-27-2011 12:38 PM

please back away from it...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mPfuUwjEHcMx2b

if LA has to resort to rushing a kid into the line up to either make the PO's or advance in the PO's then they won't have the depth to win 16 games. it shows that DL has a bit more work to do, to add further depth at C within the org from LA to MAN. if this were to happen next season when Zus is gone (most likely) the situation would be even worse. they would have Stoll, Lewis and a rookie in Schenn at C (no Kopi or Lokti).

Capn Brown 03-27-2011 12:52 PM

I would bring up Schenn, but only when our playoffs are in session (April 13th or later).

There's no real reason to bring him up this second.

Regardless, it doesn't matter what any of us believe is right. It's all up to Lombardi & Schenn.

Capn Brown 03-27-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 31940092)
No

I wouldn't call him up until after his season ends for several reasons.

Also, when he comes up I wouldn't consider starting him in AK's spot until after he proved he could handle the responsibility and was capable of doing better at the spot than any of our other forwards. The team has taken a very slow approach to bringing BS along for a great reason and while we need him now he isn't yet in my opinion the version of himself that we need just yet.

Bring him up when his season is over and then plug him into the line up where he fits

This.

Chruceg 03-27-2011 01:29 PM

I voted for him to stay down and personally I feel that once he finishes his WHL playoff run he should go to the AHL. I said this already in the Down with the Blades thread but there was an interview with Mike Futa that said they think Schenn should have been playing in the AHL this year; however, the rules prevented it. The Kings organization finally has chosen to properly develop young players. This is done by making sure they are capable of playing at each subsequent level. Brayden Schenn wasn't ready to play in the NHL this year. And now people want to call him up and throw him into a playoff push? It doesn't make sense to me.

1) Let him finish what he has to do in WHL
2) Once that work is done let him try the next most difficult task in the AHL