HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How has Meszaros been? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=895995)

The Fuhr 03-27-2011 09:54 AM

How has Meszaros been?
 
Was a huge fan of his when he was in Ottawa but after he was dealt watched less of him in Tampa. Seen his numbers looking good and his ice time has increased with the Pronger injury.

How has he been this season?
Where do you see him in the future?

In Ottawa when he had confidence he could skate the puck end to end and make plays... has he done stuff like that in Philly? I thought he would be a number one two-way does it all defenseman... had soooo much potential.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-27-2011 09:55 AM

He's been solid. Probably the most consistent blue liner on the team along with Timonen.

RU Flyerfan 03-27-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fuhr (Post 31938530)
Was a huge fan of his when he was in Ottawa but after he was dealt watched less of him in Tampa. Seen his numbers looking good and his ice time has increased with the Pronger injury.

How has he been this season?
Where do you see him in the future?

In Ottawa when he had confidence he could skate the puck end to end and make plays... has he done stuff like that in Philly? I thought he would be a number one two-way does it all defenseman... had soooo much potential.

Honestly, I think he's our future #1 defenseman. He's displayed all the skills necessary this year. He can handle lots of ice time, he has an awesome slapper, he's very physical, knows how to use his size to his advantage, and can skate very well. He gets time on the PP and the PK. When Pronger got injured a while back, Meszaros filled in nicely on our top pairing with Matt Carle. He also plays well when paired with our worst defenseman, Sean O'Donnell. I'm very excited about the future of our defense corps Meszaros, Coburn, Carle, and Gustafsson, who has looked decent so far.

HoverCarle* 03-27-2011 10:44 AM

Has surpassed both Coburn and Carle in terms of all around play. Still has brain farts from time to time, but he hits like a truck, and fires lasers at the net. He has 2 OT winners for us

flyersfan187 03-27-2011 10:44 AM

He has played great. Sometimes he goes out of position but at least when he does that he always tries to take someones head off. He has been the most physical player this season on the Flyers in terms of big hits.

Overall I would rate him around where Carle and Coburn are. Probably Carle, Mez then Coburn but its tough.

Garbage Goal 03-27-2011 11:09 AM

Been our third best d-man behind Timonen and Pronger (when he hasn't been hurt).

six sigma 03-27-2011 11:19 AM

His salary made me nervous when we got him, but he's earning it. He's certainly turned it around after his off years with Tampa.

SchennSational1022* 03-27-2011 12:00 PM

He's a lot better defensively than I expected.

KimiFerrari 03-27-2011 12:27 PM

He has shown some great consistency and stepped up when Pronger went down. His shot has finally been finding its way to the back of the net, so if he can hit 30pts this season he will be justifying his paycheck.

#1 D is a bit of a stretch at this point, let us see how he handles the playoffs.

flyersfan018 03-27-2011 12:48 PM

He has honestly surprised me. I thought he would be a Carle-like player but he's got a much better shot and can throw around the body with the best of them. I feel he is earning his salary this season.

RU Flyerfan 03-27-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 31940139)
He has shown some great consistency and stepped up when Pronger went down. His shot has finally been finding its way to the back of the net, so if he can hit 30pts this season he will be justifying his paycheck.

#1 D is a bit of a stretch at this point, let us see how he handles the playoffs.

Why not? What else can he do? He's done a fantastic job so far and has staked his claim as our future #1. Maybe he could get a few more points, but those will come when our PP gets back on track. His shot is too good for him to not be scoring more.

Terence Peterman 03-27-2011 01:05 PM

He's been pretty awesome, and I'm excited to watch him throw guys around in the playoffs.

KimiFerrari 03-27-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan (Post 31940511)
Why not? What else can he do? He's done a fantastic job so far and has staked his claim as our future #1. Maybe he could get a few more points, but those will come when our PP gets back on track. His shot is too good for him to not be scoring more.

He could possibly return to his previous form in Tampa, when he becomes relied upon more.

I have been a Mez supporter from day 1, and he has done a great job this year, outside of a stretch of some pretty bad games (everyone has them). But he still has to prove he can be consistent from year to year as well.

flyersfan018 03-27-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 31940754)
He could possibly return to his previous form in Tampa, when he becomes relied upon more.

I have been a Mez supporter from day 1, and he has done a great job this year, outside of a stretch of some pretty bad games (everyone has them). But he still has to prove he can be consistent from year to year as well.

So you're criticizing the guy for not being consistent year to year when he's only played 1 year for the Flyers? :huh:

KimiFerrari 03-27-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan018 (Post 31941566)
So you're criticizing the guy for not being consistent year to year when he's only played 1 year for the Flyers? :huh:

Didn't realize you should only look at one year of the players career, to try and determine if he has potential to be a #1 Dman. I guess I could learn a thing or two still.

Mgkibbles 03-27-2011 02:09 PM

Seems like he's been getting better as the season goes.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-27-2011 02:14 PM

Meszaros has been fabulous. I know I'll probably take a lot of heat for this comment, but his play reminds me of a more physical Eric Desjardins. He's the real number 3 of this group and I'll say that by the end of next season, he'll be number 2 on the totem pole.

His years in Tampa Bay were a wash, but from what I've seen of Meszaros this year, it looks like that he finally gets "it" in terms of what a great defenseman is all about. He might not ever put up points like a Letang in Pittsburgh, but he'll be that guy you want out on the ice with 20 seconds remaining in the most crucial game.

Cleary84 03-27-2011 02:23 PM

Mez is not a #1, but he is damn solid and could be a potential 2-3 for us.

flyersfan018 03-27-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 31941796)
Didn't realize you should only look at one year of the players career, to try and determine if he has potential to be a #1 Dman. I guess I could learn a thing or two still.

My apologies, I misread one of your previous posts. I do not feel that Meszaros should be considered a #1.

RU Flyerfan 03-27-2011 02:33 PM

He's not a number 1 now, but why can't he be in 2-3 years? He'll get loads of experience playing with Pronger and Timonen, so he can be eased into that role, not thrown into it by default. He looked great in Ottawa, possibly a number 1 until he went to Tampa Bay and was thrown into that role, which didn't suit his development. Now he's back in a good hockey environment in Philly and is asked to do a little less. He's thriving. When asked to go back into the role he had in Tampa Bay earlier when Pronger went down, he performed well. He has true #1 potential!

JagerPuck 03-27-2011 03:48 PM

Seeing how he has been to a CUP final before he brings a ton of work ethic to the table and I've enjoyed his physical play of late.

CTU2fan 03-27-2011 04:30 PM

I really like Meszaros' game. I think he could be a #1 type guy if he was a bit better decision maker; right now he gambles a little too much to really anchor a top pairing. Ideally he's a #2 guy paired with a guy like Pronger or Timonen...he's a little bit wasted as a 3rd pair guy.

But there's no reason he can't improve as he matures, he's still a youngish d-man with room to learn to be a better decision maker. That's not to say he's bad in that regard, but he's not on the level of the real top guys.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-27-2011 05:26 PM

I don't know why so many people are saying Mez can't be a #1. It surely isn't a given that he is going to be a #1, but he is only 25. He has shown in his career that he is capable of it. That doesn't mean he will be, but it certainly is not out of the question.

HoverCarle* 03-27-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 31945456)
I don't know why so many people are saying Mez can't be a #1. It surely isn't a given that he is going to be a #1, but he is only 25. He has shown in his career that he is capable of it. That doesn't mean he will be, but it certainly is not out of the question.

he is definitely more suited for that role than either Carle or Coburn too, as a number 1 needs to be able to play in both zones

KimiFerrari 03-27-2011 05:43 PM

I don't think anyone really said he can't be one. I just stated that it is a bit of stretch at this point, and we need to see more of him.

He has to show more consistency when he is being relied upon as a top pairing. And not just game to game, but year to year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.