HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sergei Kostitsyn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=896289)

Top 6 Spaling 03-28-2011 09:01 AM

Sergei Kostitsyn

How much do you think it'll take to sign him this off season? He has been great for us all year, and I really want to keep him around, but he will get a substantial raise from league minimum. Are we looking at Hornqvist numbers? Less? More?

token grinder 03-28-2011 09:24 AM

I would say 2 million or so a year. makes 500 k now, one decent year, sounds about right for a 40-50 points guy

barrytrotzsneck 03-28-2011 09:34 AM

I think we'd be crazy to let him walk, for as offense starved as we always are. He's the best playmaker on the team at this point, makes passes that no one else can conceive of, and is a decent goalscorer to boot. He'll likely surpass the vaunted 20 goal mark, despite an injured\ice cold start.

I'd give him 2 - 2.5 for 2 or 3 years, even if it means letting Goc and Ward walk.

deanwormer 03-28-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 31954371)
I think we'd be crazy to let him walk, for as offense starved as we always are. He's the best playmaker on the team at this point, makes passes that no one else can conceive of, and is a decent goalscorer to boot. He'll likely surpass the vaunted 20 goal mark, despite an injured\ice cold start.

I'd give him 2 - 2.5 for 2 or 3 years, even if it means letting Goc and Ward walk.

I like this line of thought; give him a little more and tie him up for 3 years, otherwise give him $1.5 or so and call it plenty for one productive season. We can juggle the salary if Lombardi is healthy and/or signing Orly much more cheaply than Goc and going with Halischuck instead of Ward.

Not saying Matt for Joel is an "even swap" per se', but if Lombardi is healthy and we sign Orly I'd love to see us slide Fish onto Leggy's wing in Wardo's spot, gives us 2 very good lines, Smitty's line, and one with all the kids.

BigFatCat999 03-28-2011 09:48 AM

If anything Ward and Goc are gone with the emergence of Geoffrion and Halischuk. Unless Nashville finds a way to move Dumont and/or O'Reilly then I think Ward is the one person re-signed.

I got SK tabbed at 2 million a year.

Firestorm 03-28-2011 10:02 AM

If Glen Sather was our GM, he would get 4M :laugh:

Joe T Choker 03-28-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan (Post 31954706)
If Glen Sather was our GM, he would get 4M :laugh:

that's a frightening thought

cocacola 03-28-2011 11:43 AM

i got good news for you guys ! Sergei is a playoff machine

Your going to love him in playoffs

ThirdManIn 03-28-2011 01:12 PM

Over on NP I did a quick analysis of how our roster might look if we re-sign Weber and extend Suter at the same time to something around $14mil combined. We can pay SK $2mil (maybe a bit more) without breaking a sweat. I think that's a pretty good raise for one 40+pt year, but we might have to go about 500k higher to get him to a three year deal like BFC was saying.

Drake744 03-28-2011 01:25 PM

I say we sign him for two years, give him 2.25-2.5 next year as an "immediate reward" for this season then have it drop to maybe a 1.75-2 mil the next season.

Drake744 03-28-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocacola (Post 31955904)
i got good news for you guys ! Sergei is a playoff machine

Your going to love him in playoffs

Love the optimism but no one in the history of our team who doesn't wear goalie pads has ever been a playoff machine. Newcomer or not.

cocacola 03-28-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake744 (Post 31957602)
Love the optimism but no one in the history of our team who doesn't wear goalie pads has ever been a playoff machine. Newcomer or not.

2005-2006 London Knights 13 g 24 a
2006-2007 London Knights 9 g 12 a
2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens 3 g 5 a

Last year he was only used one game, playing on firth line.

Sergei is having a breakout season with 19 goals and 24 assets being a career high. So imagine how his going to be in playoffs?

PredsV82 03-28-2011 01:44 PM

jordin tootoo had great numbers in junmior so that doesnt really count.

will be interestingto see if poile goes for the multi year deal with SK or basically makes him "validate" this year before giving him big bucks.

no way do we let him walk. we make a QO and if necessary go to arbitration for a one year deal.

I can see a one year deal for about 1.75 to 2 mil.

Drake744 03-28-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocacola (Post 31957714)
2005-2006 London Knights 13 g 24 a
2006-2007 London Knights 9 g 12 a
2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens 3 g 5 a

Last year he was only used one game, playing on firth line.

Sergei is having a breakout season with 19 goals and 24 assets being a career high. So imagine how his going to be in playoffs?

I love the guy so far but we have an obvious history of ineptitude in the playoffs. But I hope that ends this year (when I'm gone and can't go to the games anymore of course)

dulzhok 03-28-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake744 (Post 31957602)

Dumont is probably the closet. Vokoun was pretty average in his playoff appearances here.

As for Kosistsyn, he's been our success story for the year, but we need to keep things in check. We have a long list of players who put up "decent" numbers on a scoringline role but couldn't do it for the long-term (Kjellberg, Ward, Kriovraskov, Legwand, Johansson, etc, etc).

I think SK has the skills, but I fear that he has serious fall out potential. Even Horqvuist who played at a such a high compete level last year, has fallen off some after signing a long-term deal (something I didn't expect).

So, it's upto Poile to decide if SK can keep his compete level up and is a core player. A lot of this decision should be based on his personal character/motivation, something he has more of an insight to judge.

Personally, I wouldn't give him much more than Ward got when he scored 18g.

barrytrotzsneck 03-28-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 31958050)
Dumont is probably the closet. Vokoun was pretty average in his playoff appearances here.

As for Kosistsyn, he's been our success story for the year, but we need to keep things in check. We have a long list of players who put up "decent" numbers on a scoringline role but couldn't do it for the long-term (Kjellberg, Ward, Kriovraskov, Legwand, Johansson, etc, etc).

I think SK has the skills, but I fear that he has serious fall out potential. Even Horqvuist who played at a such a high compete level last year, has fallen off some after signing a long-term deal (something I didn't expect).

So, it's upto Poile to decide if SK can keep his compete level up and is a core player. A lot of this decision should be based on his personal character/motivation, something he has more of an insight to judge.

Personally, I wouldn't give him much more than Ward got when he scored 18g.

Ignoring the subtle insertion of Legwand into your list of examples, you're providing a bunch of guys that were journeymen, fringe NHLers that carved out a couple of decent seasons here because we had no one better. SK was a pretty highly regarded prospect at one time, and only really fell off because of supposed "issues" in Montreal. When given the opportunity, he was producing for the Habs. It's just that no one could figure out why he wasn't being given the opportunity more often.

Sergei is 23, and putting up a pretty great season in the first real opportunity he's been given. While I'm careful to temper my expectations a bit, and while i'm also not ready to hand out some monster contract, I'd be fine with 2 or 3 years at 2-2.5 million.

token grinder 03-28-2011 02:44 PM

Jason Arnott scored the Stanley Cup Winning goal, I don't know how much more playoff clutch you get.

and then there was this Forsberg guy.

So we have had guys that could do it.

hopefully we will have a different perspective as the Marty Erat Plaoff Redemption tour continues

Drake744 03-28-2011 03:13 PM

Yeah we've had guys that have done it before, we just don't have the team success in the playoffs. I don't know where that comes from but we just don't. I don't know why I'm telling anyone this because we all know it, I just mean I'm not blaming individual players and their playoff past, just the team.

dulzhok 03-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 31958765)
Ignoring the subtle insertion of Legwand into your list of examples, you're providing a bunch of guys that were journeymen, fringe NHLers that carved out a couple of decent seasons here because we had no one better.

I think a lot of players we've had over the years fall into this category (they got a chance because we had few other options). We were one of the few teams that where SK had a prime opportunity to get real scoring line time. Trotz said he was a week away from being cut because his compete level wasn't high enough (read lazy).

He's ramped up his play, but I want to see that he can compete night in/out, and year in/out before giving out a big contract.

He will get a significant raise but we've made the mistake before of investing too much money in a player after one 'decent' season, only to see him fall back down to earth.

This was probably the last chance SK had in the NHL. He had to deliver. Now that he had a decent season, I want to see if he can do it year in and out before giving out a big contract.

triggrman 03-28-2011 04:19 PM

I'm sure whatever he makes, some of the whinners will always complain it's too much...

Enoch 03-28-2011 04:50 PM

2 years/4.5 million. 2/2.5. Goodbye Joel Ward - Hello Matt Halischuk.

dulzhok 03-28-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 31960583)
I'm sure whatever he makes, some of the whinners will always complain it's too much...

And I'm sure you'll be there to try to instigate an argument when people have different opinions.

PredsV82 03-28-2011 04:58 PM

does anyone know if SK has arbitration rights?

also, unless he tears it up in the playoffs(whcih would be cool, of course, but expensive) I think those projecting him at over 2 mil are a bit high.

hornqvist only got 3 mil for THIRTY goals.

IF SK finishes with 20 and has a decent playoffs I could see an arbiter awarding him 2 mil for one year, and I could live with that, but I think Poile wont go multi years unless the price is very reasonable.

worstfaceoffmanever 03-28-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 31954371)

Ward and Goc are likely gone anyway.

My opinion on Kostitsyn can be easily summarized:

Paranoid Android 03-28-2011 05:46 PM

Whatever it is, I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything over 2 years due to the "fallout" potential that many feel he has. I'm sure he'll want to prove himself more to get a bigger contract as well. He's been a great surprise pickup this year though, albeit a little streaky.

I do believe he is eligible for arbitration.