HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Tommy Grant (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=896678)

free0717 03-29-2011 10:15 AM

Rangers Sign Tommy Grant

Anyone know much about this guy?

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Swept In Seven 03-29-2011 10:15 AM

I have never heard of him

hpNYR 03-29-2011 10:15 AM

he already played in CT, had 2 assists in his first game

Fitzy 03-29-2011 10:17 AM

Players who pop 16 in the NCAA at age 24 are hardly prime prospects.

They must like his two way game. Haven't gotten to see him play this year, but this is the kind of player than should get an AHL ATO rather than an NHL contract.

NYR Viper 03-29-2011 10:24 AM

So who is the scout up in Alaska? Johnson, Baldwin and now Grant. All spent time at Alaska-Anchorage.

Revelation 03-29-2011 10:29 AM

I've always been a believer that the little things about someone can be really telling. That being said, in his NYR picture in the OP's link, the dude looks like he's homeless or just got off of an all-night bender. THAT is how you present yourself in the photo for an NHL fanchise?

Knowing nothing about this guy, that picture already makes me feel like we wasted a contract that could have been used on someone with an actual chance of making the big club at some point.

I know it's probably an overreaction, but whatever. It just sucks that we wasted a contract on AHL fodder.

Swept In Seven 03-29-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelation (Post 31973543)
I've always been a believer that the little things about someone can be really telling. That being said, in his NYR picture in the OP's link, the dude looks like he's homeless or just got off of an all-night bender. THAT is how you present yourself in the photo for an NHL fanchise?

Knowing nothing about this guy, that picture already makes me feel like we wasted a contract that could have been used on someone with an actual chance of making the big club at some point.

I know it's probably an overreaction, but whatever. It just sucks that we wasted a contract on AHL fodder.

he may not look very good but he doesnt look that bad. He just has a weird face thats why he looks like a tweaker :laugh:

mullichicken25 03-29-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

that picture is hillarious

its amazing to me that the dude who does those photos for the rangers still has a job

they're consistantly horrible

example:
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/rangers/v2/pho...gs/8459492.jpg

SwedishBullet62 03-29-2011 10:48 AM

At first glance WASTED.CONTRACT

MorrisWanchuk 03-29-2011 10:51 AM

kid has a bit of size and grit. seems to be able to put points up. probably nothing more than an AHL depth move. who knows? maybe he has a great year in the ahl next year.

New York RKY 03-29-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

He looked more like a serial killer to me than a tweaker :laugh:

Pizza 03-29-2011 10:56 AM

I've read comments like this over the years regarding signings. Sometimes we wind up with a guy who is purely run of the mill and sometimes you wind up with.....Dan Girardi. That scenario of course is very rare, and I understand this guy is way below the radar compared to Girardi.

TheRedressor 03-29-2011 11:03 AM

I also remember people crying that Derek Stepan was a tap dancer and a wasted pick with Jared Staal was still on the board.

That's almost as bad as hiring a head coach based on an essay he writes about the game of hockey LOL.........

SomE 03-29-2011 11:05 AM

Depth baby

nothing to whine about

Wraparounds 03-29-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomE (Post 31974218)
Depth baby

nothing to whine about

I think it's more the fact that it counts against our 50 contracts.

SomE 03-29-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 31974554)

That's not anything to whine about either.

Melrose_Jr. 03-29-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 31974554)

Grant makes it (49). How many additional signings do you anticipate this year?

I like that he was able to step in an contribute right away. Not everyone the Whale has looked at this season has been able to contribute at all. If helps bolster the team's postseason chances, that's good for the Ranger prospects and that's OK with me.

HenrikO'doyle 03-29-2011 12:13 PM

holy crap that guy looks like a serial killer, can u say locker ream weirdo

Stugots 03-29-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle (Post 31975526)
holy crap that guy looks like a serial killer, can u say locker ream weirdo

Maybe he can give EC a run for his money. :laugh:

GAGLine 03-29-2011 12:25 PM

For those complaining that this is a wasted contract, consider that management most likely reserves a couple contracts each year for undrafted free agents. In fact, it seems like every team does it. Yeah, the odds are against getting a player that can contribute at a high level, but there have been more than enough success stories to make it worth the gamble. So if it wasn't this kid, it would be some other player you've never heard about.

Also, he's 24 years old, which means he got a 1 year ELC, probably for the minimum. So if he doesn't work out, big deal. We sign some other undrafted UFA next year.

Beacon 03-29-2011 12:28 PM

Came to Hartford and got a pair of assists in his very first game. If he can keep the 2 points per game pace, he'll grow on me.

Hanke 03-29-2011 12:28 PM

Holy crap just give us the cup already!!

Beacon 03-29-2011 12:36 PM

... June 17, 2014. Gary Bettman on the ice.

"And the Conn Smythe goes to... Captain Tommy Grant! Come and get it. You deserve it!"

Levitate 03-29-2011 12:38 PM

I'm pretty sure I trust the Rangers management of contracts over any of you people here on this message board. They know what they're doing and the Rangers aren't going to get into a situation where they can't sign an important prospect/player because they used up their available contract space on scrubs.

So stop whining

CH2 03-29-2011 12:38 PM

So the Whale looks like it's going to have quite a roster next year:

Goalies
Johnson
Talbot
Missiaen

Defensemen
Kundratek
Valentenko
Redden
Parlett