HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Columbus Dispatch: Changes may be coming (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=897279)

jacks johnson 03-30-2011 09:53 PM

Changes may be coming

-- A source on Tuesday told The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets -- fed up with losing and frustrated by yet another season out of the playoffs -- are planning to take a hard look at all aspects of the organization this off-season. Majority owner John P. McConnell confirmed as much to the Dispatch today, and we'll have a story in Thursday's editions of the newspaper. Enjoy. Please.

Jovavic 03-30-2011 09:55 PM

I'll believe it when I see it

jktsfan* 03-30-2011 10:21 PM

Not meaning to be a smart ass but wouldn't you take a HARD LOOK every year unless you were on the winning side of things?

EDM 03-30-2011 11:14 PM

I take it this means new songs for when the Jackets come on the ice at the beginning of the game and when they score. Beyond that ........ yeah, sure, JMacJr. is going to become Mr. Dynomite and shake it all up.

I am not from Missouri, but what the heck .... SHOW ME.

Crede777 03-30-2011 11:16 PM

I'm assuming Arniel had more than a little to do with this. Hopefully he and Boughner will prompt Howson to act.

Timeless Winter 03-30-2011 11:19 PM

Excellent news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 32014163)
I'm assuming Arniel had more than a little to do with this. Hopefully he and Boughner will prompt Howson to act.

One more reason of the many already to like Arniel. His pressers are more fun than the games.

IBleedUnionBlue 03-30-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina (Post 32012081)
I'll believe it when I see it

Agreed.

Matt Foley 03-30-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clitter on the point (Post 32012018)
-- A source on Tuesday told The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets -- fed up with losing and frustrated by yet another season out of the playoffs -- are planning to take a hard look at all aspects of the organization this off-season. Majority owner John P. McConnell confirmed as much to the Dispatch today, and we'll have a story in Thursday's editions of the newspaper. Enjoy. Please.

To me, this is like having a plumbing problem in your house and seeing The Three Stooges show up to tell you that they're going to be the ones to fix the mess.

They may look at everything with a fine-tooth comb, but I don't have a lot of faith that it will be competently reviewed.

CBJWennberg41 03-30-2011 11:53 PM

Thank god

mt-svk 03-31-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clitter on the point (Post 32012018)

A source...

If it is right could McConnell say me how he want to get overaverage players? No. IMo Howson would want them too but our situation is complicated. We are not succesful team. At the moment... ;)

CBJWennberg41 03-31-2011 12:27 AM

You guys are acting like we aren't going to do anything this summer. We aren't that stupid. This is very good news. You guys make fun of our ownership all the time and then he finally says what we need or want and you guys take it with grains of salt.. make up your mind.

Dead Horse 03-31-2011 12:45 AM

who saw that coming... a last ditch effort to resuscitate Season Ticket Renewals... I'm impressed... </yawn>

Crede777 03-31-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 32015643)
You guys are acting like we aren't going to do anything this summer. We aren't that stupid. This is very good news. You guys make fun of our ownership all the time and then he finally says what we need or want and you guys take it with grains of salt.. make up your mind.

Howson oscillates between "We're doing a rebuild" and "The answer is in the room."

Usually he does nothing. Maybe this offseason will be different, maybe it won't be.

CBJWennberg41 03-31-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 32016010)
Howson oscillates between "We're doing a rebuild" and "The answer is in the room."

Usually he does nothing. Maybe this offseason will be different, maybe it won't be.

I really don't think we are rebuilding. I really don't. I think all we need is stability in goal (a real number one) an elite puck moving defenseman (Hell, I'll take Good.) and if available a sure fire center for Nash. I would like to add a shutdown defenseman but I think that the needs above are more important.

Needless to say, this offseason will be the biggest in franchise history to date. Jobs will either be kept or lost (Howson) and it will determine the future of the franchise for the next 5-6 years (whether or not to fully rebuild a-la- Ottawa)

joshjoshjosh 03-31-2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 32016230)
I really don't think we are rebuilding. I really don't. I think all we need is stability in goal (a real number one) an elite puck moving defenseman (Hell, I'll take Good.) and if available a sure fire center for Nash. I would like to add a shutdown defenseman but I think that the needs above are more important.

Needless to say, this offseason will be the biggest in franchise history to date. Jobs will either be kept or lost (Howson) and it will determine the future of the franchise for the next 5-6 years (whether or not to fully rebuild a-la- Ottawa)

Yeah not a rebuild just multiple massive pieces which even perrenial playoff teams covet and are nigh impossible to obtain as evidenced by the complete lack of all three for an entire decade.

TBJF 03-31-2011 05:38 AM

I take it as a hopeful sign, but the root problem is ....

...when you have a serious review of every aspect of the organization being conducted by the exact same people who assembled that organization, there is zero chance of an objective assessment.

I could take this to mean something like "we're going to bring in an executive who knows what it takes to win in the NHL and have him grade everybody, from Priest on down" but I know that's wishful thinking on my part. Such a bold move would be completely out of character for ownership.

gr88bd 03-31-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBJF (Post 32017597)
...when you have a serious review of every aspect of the organization being conducted by the exact same people who assembled that organization, there is zero chance of an objective assessment.

I could take this to mean something like "we're going to bring in an executive who knows what it takes to win in the NHL and have him grade everybody, from Priest on down" but I know that's wishful thinking on my part. Such a bold move would be completely out of character for ownership.

I hear Doug McLean is available for upper level hockey management evaluatuation and general consulting :laugh:

pete goegan 03-31-2011 08:05 AM

Here's a link to the article. Maybe reading it before ripping it might be useful:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...s.html?sid=101

OK, now rip away!

BluejacketNut 03-31-2011 08:20 AM

Ok, so theyre not going to bring in someone to oversee the person who created the team that still sucks....ok, changes abound

Robert 03-31-2011 08:29 AM

The scouting staff might be in jeopardy and a few players but Howson will not be changing his personality any time soon; therefore roster changes will probably be minor and slow in scope. True change might be possible if McConnell insists on bringing in an independent outside consultant.

Columbus Mike 03-31-2011 08:33 AM

"It's unclear whether the Blue Jackets will oversee the process or hire an outside consulting firm, as a handful of NHL clubs have done."

This is the critical sentence of the article. A fresh perspective is needed, and unless this happens, IMO, no significant improvements will be made. Not changes, improvements.

CapnCornelius 03-31-2011 08:44 AM

I don't care what they say, I care what they do. And if Howson and Priest are both safe, this is all a meaningless hunt by them for a scapegoat for their failures-failed architects blaming the construction crew for their poor design.

EDM 03-31-2011 08:50 AM

The headline should read: "Priest Announces He Is Determined to Find New Scapegoat: Scouting Staff Primary Suspect".

Any review done by Priest, a man who is incompetent to conduct a review of a hockey franchise, is doomed to failure. The scintilla of hope I had was eliminated when I read the story the the upper management, which is where the problem is, will be involved in the review. The actual story in the Dispatch makes it clear that that this is a scapegoating operation, nothing more.

blahblah 03-31-2011 08:58 AM

Interesting article. What's interesting is that Howson has had an opportunity to make changes at the level that were discussed and/or hinted at since he got here. I like the hint from JPM that they have some ideas in mind on the financial side (another minority owner, or what have you). Hopefully he will be more visibly engaged.

Very small glimmer of hope. But, obviously, we have to see what the action(s) will be.

Double-Shift Lassť 03-31-2011 09:08 AM

Mac Jr comes off sounding like a ******.

Unfortunately, the "we" in Priest's statement "There's not a belief by anybody right now that we have what it takes to compete without making changes" probably isn't as inclusive a "we" as this we would like.

That said, a full review by an outside party of all hockey ops is in order. How much of said review gets implemented...