HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ovechkin to NY still a possibility (link) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=89743)

adichiara03 07-07-2004 05:03 PM

Ovechkin to NY still a possibility (link)

http://www.insidehockey.com/russia/index.html

They specifically name us. :handclap:

Balej20* 07-07-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adichiara03
http://www.insidehockey.com/russia/index.html

They specifically name us. :handclap:

YES!!!!!!! DO IT GLEN DO IT!!!!! THIS MONTOYA PICK IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER! Trade Blackburn, and we have the cash to get this deal done! Ovechkin wearing the Red White and Blue of the Rangers, I LOVE IT!

adichiara03 07-07-2004 05:08 PM

Thought I'd bet it wont happen because worst case scenario McPhee lets AO stay in Russia and pays $0 next year.

Theoren Fan 07-07-2004 05:11 PM

Sounds like abunch of mumbo jumbo to me.

Big McLargehuge 07-07-2004 05:14 PM

I will personally give my soul to Glen Sather if this took place.

So...not a ****ing chance in hell that this thing comes close. If you think 2 million $ is going to deter Washington from keeping Ovechkin...well...in the immortal words of Rob Halford...you have another thing coming.

Balej20* 07-07-2004 05:15 PM

Let's all try to think optimistically...If there was no chance for this to happen, they wouldnt have put it on the web site. The chance may be slim, but it's out there.

Big McLargehuge 07-07-2004 05:24 PM

Because everything on the internet is true...

Blueshirt13 07-07-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
Let's all try to think optimistically...If there was no chance for this to happen, they wouldnt have put it on the web site. The chance may be slim, but it's out there.

Of course they would because from the Rangers board along, in the last 2 minutes they just had 10 hits on their site :eek:

Balej20* 07-07-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Because everything on the internet is true...

I never said it was 100% true, I said think optimistically, the chance could be out there.

Theoren Fan 07-07-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

That's fine and all, but it's still somebody just suggesting a possible senario that could take place. Anything in theory could happen, but 2mill isn't going to scare any professional sports team into trading away "the best prospect since Eric Lindros".

And also, just because some guy puts something online doesn't mean it's autimaticly credible

jas 07-07-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

YES!!!!!!! DO IT GLEN DO IT!!!!! THIS MONTOYA PICK IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER! Trade Blackburn, and we have the cash to get this deal done! Ovechkin wearing the Red White and Blue of the Rangers, I LOVE IT!

C'mon?! No deal will be done without Petr Prucha in it, and you know it!

NYR469 07-07-2004 06:30 PM

as much as i'd love for this to be true, imo this rumor is about as unrealistic as possible...

first off, odds are pretty good that, due to the chances of a lockout, the caps would have left him in russia next year anyway...so he'd have to turn down a deal multiple summers in a row and no new IIHF agreement could be reached in the near future (if they didn't think they could sign him they would have traded the pick, and i doubt anything has changed since the draft)...

and also i doubt they'd want blackburn given his injury and the fact that they have oullette...more likely it would take some combination of tyutin, balej and jessiman plus next years #1

NYR2 07-07-2004 06:44 PM

I so want to get excited about this but my hopes are always let down, so I'm just going to stay the pessimistic person I am and say there is no chance in hell that AO comes to NY lol.

nyr7andcounting 07-07-2004 06:47 PM

Never going to happen.

$2 million isn't enough to force a team to trade one of the best prospects to enter the NHL.

And even if it is, Washington still has another year before they have to decide if they really need to trade him or not... they will leave him in Russia this year if they don't sign him.

Plus, what does Washington want with Blackburn? He's coming off a major injury, hasn't played in any games in a long time and they already have a top goaltending prospect.

BobMarleyNYR 07-07-2004 06:54 PM

I think I'd have a heart attack... at 18.

Ovechkin is, however, far-and-away the best prospect in the NHL... 2M is small change in this situation.

xander 07-07-2004 07:07 PM

this makes absolutly no sense. If washington doesn't want to pay $2 Million for him this year, why not just wait a year untill his contract is up and bring him over? Chances are there won't be a full season next year anyway.

Kubera55 07-07-2004 07:09 PM

Never, ever going to happen.

1) Leonsis is a Billionare. He's paying $4 million a season to get rid of Jagr. He isn't going to balk at paying AO $2 to show up.

2) AO's contract expires in another year. The NHL will probably be locked out for all, or most, of next year. The Caps can just sit on the kid, let his contract expire, and sign him with NO TRANSFER FEE at all when play resumes.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get the kid, but it isn't going to happen unless Sather starts trading a Lindros type package....

Balej20* 07-07-2004 08:09 PM

Thikn about the trade this way...

Rangers pay the 2 million to russia, rangers pay the remainder of Jagr's contract (25 million!), Blackburn and Prucha and maybe one more 2nd or 3rd tier prospect

for

Ovechkin

Now all of a sudden that trade looks a lot better for Washington, any comments?

Ocelot 07-07-2004 08:21 PM

I dont see it happening. Its only 2 million for one of the best prospects in awhile.

xander 07-07-2004 08:23 PM

your treating this as if Washington is a poor team, which they arn't. They're not about to sell ovechkin too us.

pld459666 07-07-2004 08:40 PM

My only comment is this

The Rangers can forgive half the debt that Washington owes us on the Jagr deal, sent them Jessiman and Balej for Ovechkin's rights.

2 players and 10 million for a player yet to be in the NHL?

Teddy L would ponder that for a while. It's not so much the player as it is the cash. If there's a lockout, that's 10 million in Washington's own personal war chest that they didn't have previously.

that's alot of scratch

pld459666 07-07-2004 08:43 PM

not poor, but hemoraging money for sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander
your treating this as if Washington is a poor team, which they arn't. They're not about to sell ovechkin too us.

a savings of 27 million make this year either a make money year, or at least a break even year.

do I believe it will happen, but when you start talking about those kinds of dollars anythign can happen with business men

xander 07-07-2004 08:45 PM

but if there's a lock out wouldn't washington not have to pay jagr's contrract? or is that only durring a strike? If that's true, then washington wouldn't have to pay this year's salary anyway.

Balej20* 07-07-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander
but if there's a lock out wouldn't washington not have to pay jagr's contrract? or is that only durring a strike? If that's true, then washington wouldn't have to pay this year's salary anyway.

If the players union goes on strike, they do not get paid for the time they are out on strike. (atleast that's how it is supposed to work. but then the unions always try to get paid a certain amount while they are on strike anyway...)

TheZherdev 07-07-2004 09:30 PM

were talking about a team the just freed up the salary of jagr, lang, bondra, and gonchar. Dont u guys think that washington might actually have more then enough money to transfer the best prospect for next year?

i think that having sather as the rangers manager for so long has made everyone think that all the other managers in the NHL are as stupid as he is.