HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tidbits: Will Burns Even Re-Sign? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=898843)

BigT2002 04-03-2011 06:31 PM

Will Burns Even Re-Sign?
 
All this talk about what we should pay him and all that jazz, but he will be a UFA at the end of next season. So at this point, of not making the playoffs again and abysmal play by the team in general and lack of front office's ability to get support players for the team, does he even want to resign here? They all always say they love the area and all that junk, but what are the odds he goes somewhere else to get the cup/money now while his daughter is still young? Or do you think it would be too crazy to move that zoo of his somewhere else at this point?

Fel 96 04-03-2011 06:41 PM

He should... if he isn't a "money" player.

BigT2002 04-03-2011 06:42 PM

What if he is a "championship player" instead? You think Ray Bourque wanted out of Boston because they weren't going to pay him the $$$?

J22 04-03-2011 06:47 PM

It will come down to money just like always

hometown discount= no chance
fair value= probably
overpayment= absolutely

However, Salcers idea of "fair value" is probably quite a bit higher then anybody else's.

Casper 04-03-2011 06:53 PM

we can't afford to overpay for Burns, not until he shows some ******* consistency.

Vashanesh 04-03-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT2002 (Post 32095558)
What if he is a "championship player" instead? You think Ray Bourque wanted out of Boston because they weren't going to pay him the $$$?

Is Burns in the twilight of a Hall of Fame career?

Apples and oranges.

Unless Burns' goes nuts next season... I could see Fletch hard-balling him to a respectable price.

Is he a 50+ point defensemen? Or is he the same guy who pinches at the wrong time and tries to do everything himself?

J22 04-03-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vashanesh (Post 32098672)
Is Burns in the twilight of a Hall of Fame career?

Apples and oranges.

Unless Burns' goes nuts next season... I could see Fletch hard-balling him to a respectable price.

Is he a 50+ point defensemen? Or is he the same guy who pinches at the wrong time and tries to do everything himself?

If at this time next year, Burns is still on the roster and hasnt signed an extension, Fletcher will have F'd up pretty badly.

BigT2002 04-03-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vashanesh (Post 32098672)
Is Burns in the twilight of a Hall of Fame career?

Apples and oranges.

Unless Burns' goes nuts next season... I could see Fletch hard-balling him to a respectable price.

Is he a 50+ point defensemen? Or is he the same guy who pinches at the wrong time and tries to do everything himself?

just playing devils advocate with all of this:

But wouldn't that be a reason he would want to leave? Because he would feel he's 1 of 2 dmen on this team that can play both aspects of the game and that he may need to try some place else to see if it would work out better for him? Say LAK where he could be on a line with either Johnson or Doughty for example?

Vashanesh 04-04-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT2002 (Post 32100343)
just playing devils advocate with all of this:

But wouldn't that be a reason he would want to leave? Because he would feel he's 1 of 2 dmen on this team that can play both aspects of the game and that he may need to try some place else to see if it would work out better for him? Say LAK where he could be on a line with either Johnson or Doughty for example?

That depends entirely on whether or not he wants to be "the guy".

Some guy's do better being leaned on, others don't. If Burns is the former, then he's best off staying here. If he'd rather take it easy, then yeah... It might not be his best bet to stay here.

I don't get the impression that he wants to be anything other than our "guy". He just tries too damn hard some times. He slips into that "they can't do it? I'll do it all myself" mentality too often.

If he's on a team where he's the number 2 or even 3 guy (like LA)... He just won't be able to get away with that.

nickschultzfan 04-04-2011 11:32 AM

Burns is "inconsistent" when he tries to put the team on his back and does too much.

Maybe if he didn't have to do that every game because our forwards are god-awful....

Caior89 04-04-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickschultzfan (Post 32106693)
Burns is "inconsistent" when he tries to put the team on his back and does too much.

Maybe if he didn't have to do that every game because our forwards are god-awful....

I agree with you, every time we are trailing his "forward side" wake up and mess with everything (normally increases the trailing).

Now about his resign i think he is in a very delicate situation, he played good until ASG, then along with all the team dropped after.
If we resign him i think it would be a long term, but, we cant afford to overpay him with all the inconsistent/injury and he sure doest want a long term being payed like a 3 or 4 D would.

this providence 04-04-2011 01:44 PM

It's a tricky situation, that much is certain.

Few things:
1. Wild can't afford to overpay.
2. Return doesn't/won't warrant trading him.
3. Nothing coming up the pipeline.

It won't be easy. I personally don't see how they move him. I think they'll work something out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.