HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Zherdev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=899189)

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 05:20 PM

Zherdev

Maybe it's been beaten to death, but I haven't seen a new thread after yesterday's game against the Rangers.

I though Zherdev was our best player.

I've watched him closely when he plays, looking for the deficiencies in his game that justify benching that level of offensive talent... I just don't see it.

He's not the best back-checker or positioned player on the Flyers, but he's far from the worst. I saw him battle harder for pucks than the majority of other players on the team yesterday, and it's not the first time this season I would say that's been the case.

The point is, the guy has talent. He can finish, he can pass, and he's one of the few guys on the team (along with Leino and Richards in my opinion) that isn't afraid to hold the puck for an extra few seconds to buy some time. You need guys like that on a team.

Is his locker-room presence so bad that he's not more valuable than some of the guys we have on this team? Or does the Flyers' coaching staff just feel the team is too deep to have room for him unless they're injured?

I just don't get it.

Jester 04-04-2011 05:21 PM

Zherdev has routinely come out strong following benchings...

Beef Invictus 04-04-2011 05:21 PM

Give it a few more games, and he'll be back to normal. We've seen this song and dance before.

Tommy D 04-04-2011 05:27 PM

I hate to say it but he's making an argument for ice time. IMO he's no worse then say Versteeg with the bone head blunders, and has looked like a man on a mission recently.

Jester 04-04-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy D (Post 32112889)
I hate to say it but he's making an argument for ice time. IMO he's no worse then say Versteeg with the bone head blunders, and has looked like a man on a mission recently.

Zherdev is clearly like the super hot chick... who is completely bat guano nuts. Some guys remember she's bat guano nuts, others forget after they haven't seen how hot she was in a while.

Zherdev is a tremendously skilled hockey player... unfortunately, that isn't enough in the NHL.

RIPRichardsCarter 04-04-2011 05:30 PM

Everyone discusses what he does offensively when he plays. My main concerns with him:

1. Locker Room Cancer? - all the other guys seem to be pretty tight knit.
2. Defensive game
3. Playoff mentality - his numbers in the playoffs (and KHL playoffs) are pretty awful

MsWoof 04-04-2011 05:34 PM

He was playing one of his former teams so he had something to prove. Give him a regular shift in the last few games of the season and we'll see which Zherdev shows up.

KimiFerrari 04-04-2011 05:35 PM

Z has a lot of talent, but he doesn't battle in corners, rarely back checks, tries to cheat on plays even though the puck hasn't been cleared out of the zone yet (pros and cons to this one) and just in the last game tried to deek three guys in the neutral zone, which coughed up the puck.

I mean when it works he looks great and scores, when it doesn't work he gets benched. Outside of some minor things, Z did look on against the Rags. I'm still willing to give him a chance, plus I'm still hoping he can hit 20 goals ;p

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 05:44 PM

I won't defend his downsides, but I'm of the opinion that his upsides outweigh them. Wasn't it discussed earlier this season that he might have (or have had) the most goals per minute of ice time of any player in the league?

I'll take some lax defensive play (read: average defensive play, not hanging out at the red line defensive play) in exchange for the game breaking ability he has the potential to display. Especially with how anemic this offense has been lately (2 goals per game average in last 5 games).

I don't know, maybe I just want to see him become a feel good story. I don't remember ever thinking he was our worst player in a game I've watched him play this year.

Jester 04-04-2011 05:46 PM

I don't much care for "potential" come April.

Mr Oysterhead 04-04-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32112915)
Zherdev is clearly like the super hot chick... who is completely bat guano nuts. Some guys remember she's bat guano nuts, others forget after they haven't seen how hot she was in a while.

Zherdev is a tremendously skilled hockey player... unfortunately, that isn't enough in the NHL.

Jester thinks Zherdev is hot.

Jester 04-04-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead (Post 32113257)

Hawt.

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32113203)
I don't much care for "potential" come April.

It's all potential though. The rest of the team has the potential to not show up as well, which they've been doing nicely for a few weeks now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead (Post 32113257)

Maybe this is Jester? :sarcasm:

http://www.sportguide.ru/photos/nikolai_zherdev2.jpg

Jester 04-04-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Respect the Jewels (Post 32113343)
It's all potential though. The rest of the team has the potential to not show up as well, which they've been doing nicely for a few weeks now.

The rest of the team hasn't consistently proven that they're incapable of sustained compete levels.

Beef Invictus 04-04-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32113411)
The rest of the team hasn't consistently proven that they're incapable of sustained compete levels.

This. Zherdev will be good for two more games if we're lucky, then his past trends show he'll do nothing of note except turnover the puck trying to spin through 4 guys.

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32113411)

But how many players have been inconsistent before they started being consistent?

Not saying Zherdev has suddenly "turned it around", or even that he ever will. I'm just saying that the last few games he's played, I thought he's been better than many other players on the team.

Maybe it's because of the depth on this team that he can't find a spot? I like Carcillo, I really do, but I'd rather have Zherdev play.

Beef Invictus 04-04-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Respect the Jewels (Post 32113514)
But how many players have been inconsistent before they started being consistent?

Not saying Zherdev has suddenly "turned it around", or even that he ever will. I'm just saying that the last few games he's played, I thought he's been better than many other players on the team.

Maybe it's because of the depth on this team that he can't find a spot? I like Carcillo, I really do, but I'd rather have Zherdev play.

This isn't exactly his first season in the NHL. He's only been consistently inconsistent throughout his career. He has yet to show we can expect anything different.

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32113553)
This isn't exactly his first season in the NHL. He's only been consistently inconsistent throughout his career. He has yet to show we can expect anything different.

Maybe I need to see some replays or something, because even when he was showing his "inconsistency", I didn't think he was awful. Which is better? A guy that scores 10 goals in 15 games, 2 in the next 15, and repeat? Or a guy that plays 82 games and will top out at 10 goals total?

I guess it's a type of thing where I just don't see eye to eye with the Flyers management or the majority of other fans. I think we can all agree that if he could play every game like he played yesterday, there's a spot for him on this team heading into the playoffs.

Beef Invictus 04-04-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Respect the Jewels (Post 32113628)
Maybe I need to see some replays or something, because even when he was showing his "inconsistency", I didn't think he was awful. Which is better? A guy that scores 10 goals in 15 games, 2 in the next 15, and repeat? Or a guy that plays 82 games and will top out at 10 goals total?

I guess it's a type of thing where I just don't see eye to eye with the Flyers management or the majority of other fans. I think we can all agree that if he could play every game like he played yesterday, there's a spot for him on this team heading into the playoffs.

He's also been completely absent defensively on several goals against, and his often selfish one man show has led to several scoring chances against after he's turned the puck over because he doesn't know how to dump it in. When he doesn't play like he did against the Rangers (which is most of the time he's playing) his benefit is dubious, since he doesn't create assists or play D. He generally doesn't fit into the rest of the team most of the time. A good example is when he has the puck, and the rest of the team is trying to forecheck. Instead of passing when pressured, he'll circle back and try to move it up himself. It kills all forward momentum by the rest of the team, since they have to stop at the blue line to wait for him to bring the puck up/finally pass it to them. By that point it's unlikely that they'll be able to enter the offensive zone with possession.

duffy9748 04-04-2011 06:39 PM

This is his last chance at a job in the NHL. Holmgren said in an interview yesterday that he's been working hard for a while now. I'd still put the chances that he turns back to his old self at 75 percent but who knows. Every player is different and maybe he'll be a late bloomer. It's happened before. Perhaps we can even play the Rangers in the first round which seems to motivate him.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-04-2011 06:56 PM

I'd let him start these last few games (obviously a no-brainer with the injuries now) but when everyone is healthy I would really sit down and see how he has played in the last few games. You can't base it on what he is capable of because he has a history of proving that he doesn't do what he is capable of enough. He played well against the Rags. If he follows that up with the next few games, he at least deserves a shot in the playoffs. His only playoff experience was in 08-09 with the Rags where he was a non-factor on a pretty lackluster playoff team. I'd like to see him given a shot if he can earn it down the stretch here.

JVR21 04-04-2011 07:03 PM

It's so true that Versteeg has shown the least effort out of anyone on the team and has caused some stupid turnovers.

Eric Lindros 04-04-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 32114754)
It's so true that Versteeg how shown the least effort out of anyone on the team and has caused some stupid turnovers.

Agreed; he hasn't had nearly the impact that I expected him to.

Flyerfan4life 04-04-2011 07:30 PM

i hope he plays these last few games and gets a shot at teh first round..

keep him on a short leash, let him know this isnt the Z. show, and see if he can compete as a team player..

if so let him continue to dress for games.. if he reverts to his one man show, then so be it and cya later Z.

would be a shame thou if he truely can not see the road before him is paved with gold if only he plays a team game, with his skill that should be cake really.

otimer 04-04-2011 07:34 PM

The kid is doing well. He's been great in all zones and is hustling each game. The TEAM needs to work on urgency. That's been what's lacking.