HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dan Girardi's Insane Facial Scar (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=903272)

KingWantsCup 04-13-2011 04:43 PM

Dan Girardi's Insane Facial Scar

Okay so this may be a small and silly topic, but when and how the hell did Girardi get that bad ass scar across his face? I must have blinked or something. I noticed it about a week and a half ago and have been wondering ever since.

Also does anyone have a picture of Girardi with his scar? I can't find one and I want to use it for our "it's just pain" theme. :nod:

SlingshotVv 04-13-2011 04:50 PM

Dan Girardi is a ****ing hero, and all ****ing hero's have a badass scar across their face from something heroic.

That Stepan Guy 04-13-2011 04:53 PM

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...35/Girardi.jpg

This any good?

Swept In Seven 04-13-2011 05:03 PM

took a high stick in one of the games we won down the stretch... forgot which one it was tho, Avery took one too and almost lost his eye

KingWantsCup 04-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DStep21NYR (Post 32340989)

It's usable but I'm looking for something more focused on his face if at all possible. :P

KingWantsCup 04-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJBergy86 (Post 32341230)
took a high stick in one of the games we won down the stretch... forgot which one it was tho, Avery took one too and almost lost his eye

Why don't all players wear visors?!??!

SlingshotVv 04-13-2011 05:09 PM

because it seems most high sticks come from a motion from the ice level up, not from shoulder level on, and the visor doesn't offer any protection from below.

many players feel it makes those slashes more dangerous because it actually corrals what might be an errant blade right into the face.

i can't believe the NHL doesn't just go to cages already. The sport is too fast for the current protection, and I'm more than tired of high sticking penalties, and players not being able to play the puck out of the air with their sticks.

ruckus* 04-13-2011 05:25 PM

ribbet 04-13-2011 06:23 PM

I mean, I think it's an option best left up to the player. I know I don't use a shield when I'm not forced to because of increased vision. Guys still weren't even wearing helmets well into the 90s.

Hell, goalies used to not wear any protection on their face and they were up against 115mph+ slap shots with (what are now) illegally curved sticks.

Keep it an option but don't make it mandatory.

rody 04-13-2011 06:31 PM

they showed it on tsn after the boston game. he was down in the corner and I think it was Krecji's stick came up and then they showed him getting hit with a Chara's shot.

Bulls9220 04-13-2011 06:57 PM

I have the stick hitting his face on my phone. I got angry. Ill post it after the period.

Bulls9220 04-13-2011 07:05 PM

well I have one from pheonix where the stick is clearly in his face.

darko 04-13-2011 07:28 PM

Chicks dig scars. It's a fact.

KingWantsCup 04-13-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 32345782)

Lol I got one doing a face plant on ice. I suck at skating but it looks bad ass. :laugh:

Darrelle Lundqvist 04-13-2011 10:36 PM

When he got hit in the Pens game, it looked like a string was hanging from the top of his helmet.

Blazephr 04-14-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darko (Post 32345782)

Yes, indeed..... chicks do dig scars. I've had a nice prominent one on my left cheek since I was seven years-old.

BrianNYR 04-15-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

I mean, I think it's an option best left up to the player. I know I don't use a shield when I'm not forced to because of increased vision. Guys still weren't even wearing helmets well into the 90s.

Hell, goalies used to not wear any protection on their face and they were up against 115mph+ slap shots with (what are now) illegally curved sticks.

No one came close to 100 mph when goalies weren't wearing masks.
The only player I believe to do it was Iafrate and he was a freak of nature. Plus goalies were wearing masks for a long time by then.
Composite sticks made shots in the NHL what they are today.

bobbop 04-15-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianNYR (Post 32385143)
The only player I believe to do it was Iafrate and he was a freak of nature. Plus goalies were wearing masks for a long time by then.

Yes they did. I personally knew two minor league players (Jimmy LeBar and Doug Volmar) who's shots were timed over 100 MPH. There were others.

Bird Law 04-15-2011 01:01 AM

Most of the 100+ MPH shots also came in a time with sketchy radar guns.

Inferno 04-15-2011 01:30 AM

here ya go:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/joker-2.jpg

RangerFan10 04-15-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR ribbet (Post 32343159)

The illegal curves didn't increase the speed of shots it just made the puck harder for the goalie to pick up because it had odd spin on it

Inferno 04-15-2011 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 32386948)
The illegal curves didn't increase the speed of shots it just made the puck harder for the goalie to pick up because it had odd spin on it

im no expert but the curve helps with the lift on the puck, which is what makes it dangerous to the face and stuff....i personally have to use a fairly flat curve (zetterberg) because those crazy banana curves make it impossible for me to do saucer passes where i want them to go. velocity has increased due to composite stick materials and insane flex you can get on a stick nowadays...

Richard Brads 04-15-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianNYR (Post 32385143)

al macginnis never used a composit stick and he shot the puck over 100mph. the curve doesn't effect the velocity of the shot, just the lift (as someone else pointed out), so certainly players should shoot the puck that hard even before curved blades.

NYRKindms 04-15-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 32341269)
Why don't all players wear visors?!??!

I wonder if Kareem type glasses would be better. Protects the eyes from a stick / puck, like safety glasses but cooler

allstar3970 04-15-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR ribbet (Post 32343159)

cars didn't have airbags back in the day so we shouldn't put them in new ones, right?