HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   On the Radio: 95.7...Yay For Some Sharks Talk! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=904039)

USF Shark 04-15-2011 03:40 PM

95.7...Yay For Some Sharks Talk!

UPDATE: Chris Townsend will talk Bay Area sports, but specifically A's and Sharks, from 1-4pm. Sharks fans, represent and call!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Odd, all of a sudden 95.7 which was once Country Music is now an all-sports station. They claim to give representation to "under represented" Bay Area sports teams including the Sharks!

KBWF is the sister station of KFOX and will broadcast Sharks games when the A's are not playing.

Quote:

Interesting news in A's - and Sharks' - land today. The A's new station, 95.7 FM, is switching from country music to an all-sports format, and the name changes from The Wolf to SportsRadio 95.7 FM.

There have been several attempts to wean some audience away from KNBR over the years, with little overall success. This is the first try on FM, and with a big company, Entercom, with lots of sports programming experience behind it.

The station promises A's and Sharks' programming, with on-air personalities and other programming to be announced at a later date. Sharks' playoff games will remain on KFOX for the playoffs, with simulcasts on 95.7 FM when possible (i.e., not during A's games) and Entercom is in discussions with the Sharks about moving their broadcasts to 95.7 FM next season.

Dwight Walker, Entercom's market manager and vice president, tells me that Entercom also will be having talks with Stanford (currently on the dying KTRB) and Cal today.

[...]

"We'll be talking A's and Sharks, two winning franchises that aren't getting as much attention as they could," he said. "But we'll also be talking Warriors, Giants, Earthquakes, SabreCats."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz1JcthsTU6

erock 04-15-2011 03:43 PM

Does this mean we'll actually be able to hear the pre-game show on games that start before 630?

LadyStanley 04-15-2011 03:46 PM

Maybe.

Saw note they're billing themselves as the only FM all-sports station

USF Shark 04-15-2011 03:53 PM

I just tuned in to see what they'd be talking about...and I heard some highlights and now they're playing sort of generic arena pump up/in-game music....:laugh:

love it!

CrazedZooChimp 04-15-2011 04:37 PM

Man, I hope this works out, I've always wanted a place with longer pre and post-game shows (maybe a call-in show). I hope they succeed.

Wedontneedroads 04-15-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp (Post 32397948)
Man, I hope this works out, I've always wanted a place with longer pre and post-game shows (maybe a call-in show). I hope they succeed.

i very distinctly remember a show like this back in the 90's. i would lay in bed with my radio on low volume and listen to the post game chat and listeners could call in. i thought it was just with rusonowski (sp?) after the game. it must not have done well?

krudmonk 04-15-2011 05:49 PM

Finally, good news for fans of every team that isn't the Giantzzzzzz.....

Led Zappa 04-15-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irbelikewall (Post 32398430)
i very distinctly remember a show like this back in the 90's. i would lay in bed with my radio on low volume and listen to the post game chat and listeners could call in. i thought it was just with rusonowski (sp?) after the game. it must not have done well?

If it's the one I am thinking of, it was called The Fourth Period and held in the club section after the game and broadcast on 98.5. Not sure why they stopped doing it.

CrazedZooChimp 04-15-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irbelikewall (Post 32398430)

I have vague recollections of doing the exact same thing. They stopped doing it long time ago, I also never knew why, they seemed to get a lot of callers for it.

jwhitesj 04-15-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 32399207)
If it's the one I am thinking of, it was called The Fourth Period and held in the club section after the game and broadcast on 98.5. Not sure why they stopped doing it.

98.5 never had the fourth period. The fourth period was on when 105.7 was airing sharks games (I can't remember the call letters). It was a great show and was really sad in the last episode cause everyone was saying see you next year to the host but the host kept saying I don't think there will be a next year.

Led Zappa 04-15-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 32406281)
98.5 never had the fourth period. The fourth period was on when 105.7 was airing sharks games (I can't remember the call letters). It was a great show and was really sad in the last episode cause everyone was saying see you next year to the host but the host kept saying I don't think there will be a next year.

KARA in Santa Clara sound familiar?

jwhitesj 04-15-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 32406411)
KARA in Santa Clara sound familiar?

Yep, that's it....I coulnd't remember the name of it for what ever reason. They played kind of adult contemporary stuff if I remember right...good job remembering the station name.

USF Shark 04-16-2011 12:18 AM

at 4pm, if anyone tuned in, Chris Townsend did his show until 6pm and took calls about the Sharks and A's. It was good to hear.

68 Z-28 04-16-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krudmonk (Post 32399122)
Finally, good news for fans of every team that isn't the Giantzzzzzz.....

I love the Giants to death, but I would love to hear a station that gives more love to the Sharks. KNBR's primary talk is 1. Giants 2. Warriors, 3. Niners/Raiders, 4. A's, 5. Sharks

Berto2k 04-16-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USF Shark (Post 32409556)
at 4pm, if anyone tuned in, Chris Townsend did his show until 6pm and took calls about the Sharks and A's. It was good to hear.

Agreed. I was listening from about 4-4:30. He was happy to talk Sharks to those who called in.

ChompChomp 04-16-2011 01:35 AM

Nothing official yet, but I know someone who is known here for once having a show re: Sharks who may be on this new channel, more details to come as everything works itself out...

Edit: This idea has been tried on other stations before in the Bay, but I don't think there has been a legit attempt on an FM station yet, especially a high power one like 95.7. I still remember Z95.7 the pop station, it wasn't too bad back in the day...

drunksage 04-16-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 32410588)
Nothing official yet, but I know someone who is known here for once having a show re: Sharks who may be on this new channel, more details to come as everything works itself out...

Edit: This idea has been tried on other stations before in the Bay, but I don't think there has been a legit attempt on an FM station yet, especially a high power one like 95.7. I still remember Z95.7 the pop station, it wasn't too bad back in the day...

sharkscribe? :amazed:

Also, I grew up on Z95.7 and was sad when it went. Still, can't wait to head back home and check out this radio station.

sjshrky27 04-16-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 (Post 32410097)
I love the Giants to death, but I would love to hear a station that gives more love to the Sharks. KNBR's primary talk is 1. Giants 2. Warriors, 3. Niners/Raiders, 4. A's, 5. Sharks

more like 1. Giants 2. Warriors, 3. Niners/Raiders, 4. A's, 5. everything BUT the sharks

USF Shark 04-16-2011 12:15 PM

I imagine Chris Townsend will be on again today before the A's game to discuss both A's and Sharks...but I can't find anything to confirm that. I will try listening in starting around 3/4 to see if he's going to.

SJSharksfan39 04-17-2011 12:14 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing who0 they bring in. I would absolutely love it if they managed to get Damon Bruce, as it seems like he's the stepchild on KNBR and I wonder if subbing for Jim Rome this Wednesday is a conflict of interest. He'll talk everything, even though his feelings on Hockey are almost non-existent, but I just enjoy listening to him. I really wish they had gone a different direction than Sporting News Radio though. I know it's on at late night, but that "Celebration of Life Through Sports" show might be the most boring, atrocious, terrible sports show on radio. Of course Fox Sports radio isn't better, but I would love to see a return of Sports Overnight America with Townsand and the weekend guy who I actually was starting to like before KTRB went under. Forgot his name though.

ChompChomp 04-17-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkie551 (Post 32435849)
I'm looking forward to seeing who0 they bring in. I would absolutely love it if they managed to get Damon Bruce, as it seems like he's the stepchild on KNBR and I wonder if subbing for Jim Rome this Wednesday is a conflict of interest. He'll talk everything, even though his feelings on Hockey are almost non-existent, but I just enjoy listening to him. I really wish they had gone a different direction than Sporting News Radio though. I know it's on at late night, but that "Celebration of Life Through Sports" show might be the most boring, atrocious, terrible sports show on radio. Of course Fox Sports radio isn't better, but I would love to see a return of Sports Overnight America with Townsand and the weekend guy who I actually was starting to like before KTRB went under. Forgot his name though.

That's precisely the reason I don't want any part of Damon Bruce on a new channel that will give more love/discussion to the Sharks. He's great with baseball, but the last person you would bring in for hockey talk. He only pretends to think the Sharks exist during the playoffs and his analysis is god-awful. The rest of the time he refuses to acknowledge the existence of the San Jose Sharks or the NHL, and that is beyond inexcusable. :shakehead

jwhitesj 04-17-2011 02:18 AM

I can't even talk about a certain radio station without getting threats from a talk show host who thinks he's gods gift to bay area sports and knows George Kingston and Keven Constatine personally and therefore knows more about Sharks hockey than anyone on the planet even though he never sounds like he has much of a clue about the subject.

ChompChomp 04-17-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 32437049)
I can't even talk about a certain radio station without getting threats from a talk show host who thinks he's gods gift to bay area sports and knows George Kingston and Keven Constatine personally and therefore knows more about Sharks hockey than anyone on the planet even though he never sounds like he has much of a clue about the subject.

Sounds like you are describing Ralph Barbieri. :laugh:

Karl with a C 04-17-2011 03:25 AM

Yeah this could be good. KNBR is pretty bad for Sharks stuff. None of the hosts of any of their shows are what I would call "diehard" fans (like the kind you could find on here, for the most part). They don't watch many games and therefore don't know that much. It's sad but that's the way it goes.

Even Ralph doesn't seem to know much although I know he went to Colorado last year for games 3 and 4.

ChompChomp 04-17-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype (Post 32437388)
Yeah this could be good. KNBR is pretty bad for Sharks stuff. None of the hosts of any of their shows are what I would call "diehard" fans (like the kind you could find on here, for the most part). They don't watch many games and therefore don't know that much. It's sad but that's the way it goes.

Even Ralph doesn't seem to know much although I know he went to Colorado last year for games 3 and 4.

The only thing Ralph does is attend Sharks playoff games, especially road games. I remember he went to the Calgary road games in 07-08 and I wouldn't be surprised if he went to just about every road playoff game the last few seasons. I do sincerely believe he's a fan, but he doesn't really understand much about the game, at least not enough to analyze it.