HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Question about the 2005 draft... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=90408)

Ritchy 07-10-2004 02:09 PM

Question about the 2005 draft...

Hi guys. It's my first post around, and english is not my talked language, so don't be too hard on me please.... :)

I was thinking about the possibility of a lock out, which seem now more like a reality than only a possibility, and a question came to my mind..... What would happen of the 2005 draft if there is no hockey in 2004-2005? I mean, this draft could very well be the most important in at least the last 10 years, with Crosby being elligible.

Beakermania* 07-10-2004 02:20 PM

Simple answer: Noone knows at this point.

Dutchy 07-10-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania
Simple answer: Noone knows at this point.

Damn you Noone! Damn you to hell!!!!

Why won't you tell us! I swear on my mother's grave, I'll get you one day!

4shelley4 07-10-2004 03:28 PM

hi

I'm hoping for a random drawing to see who picks where. Completely random would be great, anyone could get him.

Ritchy 07-10-2004 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4shelley4
I'm hoping for a random drawing to see who picks where. Completely random would be great, anyone could get him.

You must be kidding..... right??? :amazed:

Just think about it, the Tampa bay Lightning, with an amazing luck, draw the first picks and get Crosby, while Pittsburgh ant Washington end up with the 29 and 30 picks.

I really don't think that a random drawing would be a good solution. The only solution I see as of right now is using the same order than the 2004 entry draft, but with the lottery for the 4 first picks to give a chance to pittsburg, colombus and chicago to get a hand on Crosby.

Any other idea?

Beakermania* 07-10-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy

Just think about it, the Tampa bay Lightning, with an amazing luck, draw the first picks and get Crosby, while Pittsburgh ant Washington end up with the 29 and 30 picks.

I really don't think that a random drawing would be a good solution. The only solution I see as of right now is using the same order than the 2004 entry draft, but with the lottery for the 4 first picks to give a chance to pittsburg, colombus and chicago to get a hand on Crosby.

Any other idea?

Problem with this is "with luck" Washington could end up with both Crosby and Ovechin.

Perhaps we don't have a 2005 draft and instead lump 2005 and 2006 players into one 2006 super draft with like 14 rounds or something??

Ritchy 07-10-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania
Problem with this is "with luck" Washington could end up with both Crosby and Ovechin.

Yes Washington could end up with Ovechkin AND Crosby, but even if there is a season, don't you think that could be the case anyway.

I don't know if Ovechkin is suppose to play in 2004-2005 (assuming there is a season), but even if he play, I don't see the caps end higher than the 27 rank, so even if there is a season, they'll get a shot at Crosby anyway in my opinion. I don't think than, in his first professional year in NA, Ovechkin can carry a team as poor as Washington anywhere over the 27th spot.

Beakermania* 07-10-2004 04:24 PM

It may be true that Washington will be bad again, but it is never safe to assume anything in professional sports. Using the same draft order would be foolhardy imo because i guarantee you that if a season is played teams will not finish 1-30 in exactly the same order. Like i said, if the season is cancelled i prefer the 2006 mega draft idea.

Fact is Crosby is a very rare talent and i think the NHL recognizes this and will attempt to make sure that he is drafted in the fairest way possible.
There is precedent to altering draft rules for a player of this calibre. When Lindros was drafted the Sharks were an expansion team coming into the league, the NHL gave them the 2nd pick instead of the first overall pick (as had been the case in previous expansions, and would be the case in the future) due to the fact that they felt an expansion team should not start out with a "franchise" player of that calibre.

justicex 07-10-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy

Any other idea?

what if you change Tampa with Montreal, would you be that much sad? :p:

Not sure about same rank as 2004, put Crosby in Washington and you get something like Illy + Heatley in few years.. Well would be nice for Capitals, but not for us hehe

But with computers they can make a huge random thing with % chances higher for lower teams, like 5% chance Pittsburg and 1% Tampa.

Form and Substance 07-11-2004 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justicex
what if you change Tampa with Montreal, would you be that much sad? :p:

Not sure about same rank as 2004, put Crosby in Washington and you get something like Illy + Heatley in few years.. Well would be nice for Capitals, but not for us hehe

But with computers they can make a huge random thing with % chances higher for lower teams, like 5% chance Pittsburg and 1% Tampa.

That would be ridiculous! Oh not that ridiculous!

HabsoluteFate 07-11-2004 08:03 PM

Just make all the players free agents for that year :)

Firthbird 07-11-2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Just make all the players free agents for that year :)

:lol Then if there is a salary cap, and the bidding goes pretty high, count out 3/4 of the NHL Teams that either cant go over the cap or cant afford to go that high!!!

Clumsyhab 07-12-2004 12:57 AM

I personnaly agree with random drawings for the picks. Washington and Pittsburgh got their picks for 2004. 2004 is 2004, 2005 is 2005. No 2004-2005 season, every teams should have their chance to pick Crosby.

We would have 3.33% to pick Crosby, not bad!