HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gilroy, McCabe, Eminger: who should sit on Sunday? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=904167)

I Am Classless 04-15-2011 09:29 PM

Gilroy, McCabe, Eminger: who should sit on Sunday?

Defense isn't this team's biggest problem; this shouldn't be what the coaching staff spends all of its time agonizing over, but it's still a decision.

We aren't scoring goals, we aren't up to much offensively, and so I understand the initial desire to dress the two offensive defensemen. I think McCabe's been really lousy defensively, though. Worse than Gilroy. Gilroy's been muscled off the puck a few times, but McCabe's just looked bad out there. Our power play with him has been awful - how much is he really helping on that end?

DoTheBlue 04-15-2011 09:30 PM

Gilroy is our leading goal scorer you can't sit him.

Dantes19 04-15-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoTheBlue (Post 32405157)

LOL. How horrifying is that fact?!?

Anthony Mauro 04-15-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoTheBlue (Post 32405157)

funny guy

New York RKY 04-15-2011 09:36 PM

Based on the nature of this awful series I would say Eminger plays because of how physical it's been.

EDIT: That and the fact that Gilroy is softer than Charmin.

Dantes19 04-15-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 (Post 32405299)
Based on the nature of this awful series I would say Eminger plays because of how physical it's been.

EDIT: That and the fact that Gilroy is softer than Charmin.

I agree. It pains me to have to sacrifice Gilroy's outstanding offense :sarcasm: but I think we need the more physical and defensively solid guy, a.k.a. Eminger

New York RKY 04-15-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantes19 (Post 32405345)
I agree. It pains me to have to sacrifice Gilroy's outstanding offense :sarcasm: but I think we need the more physical and defensively solid guy, a.k.a. Eminger

I simply don't understand what is Torts infatuation with Gilroy.

Blueshirt Special 04-15-2011 09:39 PM

Yeah just sit Gilroy and our forwards magically transform into elites.

How could Torts not see this?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 04-15-2011 09:43 PM

Everyone's going to vote Gilroy by default.

He's been fine though. He hasn't made many mistakes.

I'd keep the defensive-pairings the same for game 3. We've done a fairly good job in our blue-line. It's the other blue-line we need to focus on.

New York RKY 04-15-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 32405553)

No, he just simply got pushed around like a little child on that 1st goal.

TheDave1022 04-15-2011 09:47 PM

McCabe. What has he done? The PP looks horrible, which is why he was brought here. All he seems to do is shoot the puck into defenders. He had 6 shots blocked game 1...didnt count this game, but there were definitely a few

Dantes19 04-15-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 32405553)

I'd keep the defensive-pairings the same for game 3. We've done a fairly good job in our blue-line. It's the other blue-line we need to focus on.

I think it's the lack of physicality and sometimes weak defensive positioning that would prompt most people to vote for him. And even though he's got our only goal, he's not exactly what I would call an offensive defenseman.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 04-15-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 (Post 32405570)
No, he just simply got pushed around like a little child on that 1st goal.

Those plays happen 50 times a night, and generally go unnoticed. Puck touched two more sticks before it went in. You can't fault Gilroy for the goal.

NikC 04-15-2011 09:54 PM

like playing or sitting any of these three is really going to make a difference?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 04-15-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantes19 (Post 32405637)
I think it's the lack of physicality and sometimes weak defensive positioning that would prompt most people to vote for him. And even though he's got our only goal, he's not exactly what I would call an offensive defenseman.

I don't think Emingers going to do much more than Gilroy from a defensive standpoint. Steve will provide more oomph on the back-end, but he's more of a liability too, considering he puts himself out of position by going out of his way to check the opposition. He also takes pretty dumb boarding penalty's.

Wsh's not really pushing us around. We're not going to get rocked at the Garden.

I'd keep McCabe-Gilroy for game 3.

New York RKY 04-15-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 32405694)
Those plays happen 50 times a night, and generally go unnoticed. Puck touched two more sticks before it went in. You can't fault Gilroy for the goal.

I noticed that one because:

1) it lead to one of the two goals
2) he started the whole chain of events that lead to the goal. If he wasn't knocked off the puck then the rest of the team wouldn't be scrambling.

New York RKY 04-15-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 32405874)
like playing or sitting any of these three is really going to make a difference?

And put in Iginla on defense right :yo: LOL

Provolone* 04-15-2011 10:05 PM

Mccabe. He's not the difference maker on the PP to warrant a roster spot. And IMO he's worse, yes WORSE, than Gilroy in his own zone.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 04-15-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 (Post 32406108)
I noticed that one because:

1) it lead to one of the two goals
2) he started the whole chain of events that lead to the goal. If he wasn't knocked off the puck then the rest of the team wouldn't be scrambling.

You didn't notice anything. Sam and Joe pointed it out during the goals replay.

The puck went in about 3 seconds after he was beat. A lot of Dmen in this league wouldn't have prevented that play.

Stop reaching.

New York RKY 04-15-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 32406225)
You didn't notice anything. Sam and Joe pointed it out during the goals replay.

The puck went in about 3 seconds after he was beat. A lot of Dmen in this league wouldn't have prevented that play.

Stop reaching.

Ok, if you say so...

I'm not going to start a pointless argument about a pointless player.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 04-15-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 (Post 32406241)
Ok, if you say so...

I'm not going to start a pointless argument about a pointless player.

Nobody's arguing. We discussing Gilroy's performance. I'm not suggesting he wasn't outmuscled there; I think a lot of dmen give up that same exact opportunity. Sometimes because of strength, other times because of speed. Or positioning. It's a routine play, imo. Quick outlet pass, followed by a perfect feed to the slot and a shot where Lundqvist has no chance.

It's along the lines of trying to blame Drury for Staal's turnover in game1. People reaching for reason's to hate, imo. Somebody's gotta be the scapegoat on these forums. Regardless of how the goal was scored.

Sometimes, it's nobody's fault. I personally think Gilroy was more responsible for the second goal (PP goal). That's a play I have a problem with. That's a play where his fundamentals vanished into thin air. Piss poor decision to move out and block a shot; the forward on the ice there (drury?) was responsible for that part of the ice, in that specific situation. Then Gilly follows it up with an even weaker attempt of blocking the puck.

Nobody's talking about that play though, which surprises me a bit.

abev 04-15-2011 10:24 PM

Gaborik.

Florida Ranger 04-15-2011 10:36 PM

Gilroy needs to ****ing sit.

I can't stand that guy. Every single time he pinches in, it feels like the Caps are just going to score on transition.

He's weak. He scored our only goal in the playoffs so far..... That's bad.

MorrisWanchuk 04-15-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA (Post 32407015)
Gilroy needs to ****ing sit.

I can't stand that guy. Every single time he pinches in, it feels like the Caps are just going to score on transition.

He's weak. He scored our only goal in the playoffs so far..... That's bad.

your prejudice is making you blind.

he's been one of our best players - and that's horrible to say

Florida Ranger 04-15-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk (Post 32407746)
your prejudice is making you blind.

he's been one of our best players - and that's horrible to say

It doesn't seem so hard to be one of our best players these past two games.