HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What About Pavol Demitra???? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=90449)

markpatrick27 07-10-2004 06:22 PM

What About Pavol Demitra????

If Kovalev is gone, do u think we should go after Demitra???
I think he would be a good fit on the first line.
He can play both rightwing & center, therefore providing
some insurance if Koivu gets hurt.
What do u guys think????

Beakermania* 07-10-2004 06:26 PM

Bob Gainey has said we have the money to sign kovalev. My priority for what to do with that money goes like this.

Plan A: Kovalev
B: Demitra
C: Murray
D: If you can't get one of the first three, use the money to improve the defence, no other FA forwards truly interest me.

Munchausen 07-10-2004 06:53 PM

I'd go for Demitra ahead of Kovalev personally. He'd fit better in Montreal's system as he plays a good 2-way game plus the fact he plays center as well as RW is all the insurance needed in case Koivu gets hurt again. Only thing is I'm not sure we'd be able to get him for 5M or less.

BTW, wouldn't an all Slovak line of Hossa - Demitra - Zednik look great? :D

Estimated_Prophet 07-10-2004 07:43 PM

I've heard that Demitra doesn't want to play for a Canadian team.

Vicious 07-10-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'd go for Demitra ahead of Kovalev personally. He'd fit better in Montreal's system as he plays a good 2-way game plus the fact he plays center as well as RW is all the insurance needed in case Koivu gets hurt again. Only thing is I'm not sure we'd be able to get him for 5M or less.

Ditto. I'd go after Demitra before Kovalev..

1. Demitra
2. Kovalev
3. Palffy
4. Shanahan
5. Murray

Fozz 07-10-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious
Ditto. I'd go after Demitra before Kovalev..

1. Demitra
2. Kovalev
3. Palffy
4. Shanahan
5. Murray

At last! Someone puts Shanahan's name on his list.

My top-5:
1. Shanahan
2. Kovalev
3. Demitra
4. Murray
5. Palffy

Munchausen 07-10-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
I've heard that Demitra doesn't want to play for a Canadian team.

Care to elaborate? When and from who is kind of important here.

Duff88 07-10-2004 08:14 PM

Quote:

Care to elaborate? When and from who is kind of important here.

I also heard, I think it was from an interview in a Czech/Slovak newspaper who was translated by someone on the board, but I'm not quite sure.

Russian Fan 07-10-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

I've watched a lot of Blues games the last 2 years & Demitra is NOT a 2-way player. The only 2-thing he could be is that he's a 2 position player C-RW.

Roxor 07-10-2004 08:42 PM

i'de go for Demitra if Kovalev aint signing . Demitra is a softer and more injury-prone player, which probably make kovalev and murray more appealing. Yet, if Demitra WANTS to play for montreal and if he's ready to take a significant paycut, i wouldnt say no to this guy. He's still one hell of a raw talent and he's still pretty young (29 years old i think)

HABitude 07-10-2004 09:02 PM

A month ago I went to the Blues Board and asked to rate Demitra on different aspects.
The title of the thread was “Demitra or Hull”. This is what a Blues fans replyed to me (by memory):

Speed: 8/10
acceleration: 8,5
speed feet: 6,5
power shot: 8
precision shot: 8
grit: 4
work ethic: 6

At that time, I was trying to compare Demitra with Koivu (as a “point de référence”), Demitra seems to fail in some areas where Koivu is strong (grit & work ethic), but Demitra skate a bit faster and have a more powerful shot. Maybe that's because Demitra have lost the fan's edge, someone told me he wasn't the same after coming back from his injury, he wasn't going in the corners. I saw that many times, when a player gets hurt, he lose his guts, he start to think, etc. Maybe that was just a bad period for him (after his injury), a new team with a new start might be good for him. Playing with Zednik is not negligable in the equation (and Hossa too).

I'm not sure about him, he ask for a big salary but he's much younger than Kovalev (Kovy will get old at the end of his next contract, not Demitra, under all reserve productivity at some age is relative).
So if BG can't sign Kovy, Demitra is on the list.

Mooch 07-10-2004 09:08 PM

1. Kovalev.

Speed, skill, chemistry and size. What more could we ask for. He can get lazy, but playing along side Saku, i dont think this will be a problem, just as it wasent when playing with Mario.

2. Palffy

Small, but thats his only flaw. He is injury prone, but his skill is undiniable. In fact he may even be more skilled than Kovalev, but the price he will come at will most likely be very high. Somwhere in the 7-8 mill range imo.

3. Demitra

Can play the wing and C. If koivu goes down he would be the perfect temporary replacement, although Bonk is also very capable, but why move him from the third line if we dont have to. Demitra is also very skilled and can score goals. Hes also a pretty good playmaker, and is said to be decent in the defensive end. His size is nothing special, but its more than decent. Again hes not physical, but he is a solid player that can produce. Like Palffy though the price may be high.

4. Murray.

I know hes an ex-bruin, and he stinks in the playoffs, but he has skill. If he could work with Saku and a fiery coach like CJ, i think he could do well. His 30+ goals a season would be more than welcome. His only other flaw is his lack of physical play for his size. Other than that, he gets the job done for the most part, and i think would be a good fourth choice.

If we get one of these guys i would be very happy if not estactic. Im really hoping Kovalev returns, because i really feel that he could do well with a great playmaking C in Saku as he did with Mario. But if we couldnt get a deal done with him and we got one of the other three, i cant say id be disapointed!

leshabitants44 07-10-2004 09:11 PM

first of all about the ame of this thread, this is all i have to say about it, What ABOUT pavel demitra, to me, he is just another below-expectation piece of garbage that montreal does not need, no more pieces of garbage please!!! :mad:

Mooch 07-10-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmac
first of all about the ame of this thread, this is all i have to say about it, What ABOUT pavel demitra, to me, he is just another below-expectation piece of garbage that montreal does not need, no more pieces of garbage please!!! :mad:

Care to explain in detail, why hes a piece of garbage????

CH Wizard 07-10-2004 09:23 PM

Well Demitra is fourth on my list but if Kovy don't resigns it gonna be great to sign him first of all he can play RW and C if Ribs is benched or injured Demitra can take his job but I will like him more on the fisrt line with Koivu and Zed.

N#1 Kovy skilled and big too he'll make our team bigger and more skilled down the middle.
N#2 Murray is a big forward and I don't know why some people are saying that he's inconsistent not in the season becaus he average 39 goals per season in the last three seasons but maybe in the playoffs but you know that it's not that only Murray don't produce in the playoffs but all the bruins player ,BIG JOE didn't respond and that don't helped Murray but I agree that Thornthon had some injuries during the playoff but maybe he got injured after the big body check of komo :D
N#3 Palffy I know he's little ,he's smaller then Selanne but I like him , he's a world-class sniper with elite puck=handling and skating skills but he's a injury prone.
N#4 Demitra
N# Selanne

Russian Fan 07-10-2004 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Demitra

is said to be decent in the defensive end. His size is nothing special, but its more than decent.

I would say that Demitra is very average defensively if not below average.

Palffy though is one hell of a player, he's becoming a complete package that his skill is not recognize in the NHL by the fans.

Palffy can play 1st line, PK 1st unit, PP 1st unit.

I would give more to Palffy than Kovalev & Demitra.

The only knock on Palffy is can he stay healthy 82 games. This year was an exception but he still usually play around 60-70 games not 82.

Mooch 07-10-2004 09:28 PM

Pavol Demitra, HT: 6'0 WT: 206 lbs

Stats over the last five seasons........

2003-04 GP-68 G-23 A-35 P-58 +1
2002-03 GP-78 G-36 A-57 P-93 0
2001-02 GP-82 G-35 A-43 P-78 +13
2000-01 GP-44 G-20 A-25 P-45 +27
1999-00 GP-71 G-28 A-47 P-75 +34

AVG: GP-69 G-28 A-41 P-69 +15

69 points, 28 goals in 69 games on avg over the last five season. If he would have played those extra 13 games, im sure he would have averaged 30+ goals and 70+ points. Not bad at all if you ask me. If he could come at a price of 5-6 mill, i think hed be more than worth it if Kovalev can be had. You also have to consider that hes quite young 29 years of age. Hes in his prime, and has the skill, so why not.......!

Mooch 07-10-2004 09:29 PM

Russianfan,

Id love to have Palffy. I think he is the most skilled guy of them all, but like you say injuries are a problem. Besides that though, hes simply an explosive offensive talent, but i truely believe he will demand big bucks unless the ufa market has some effect, which i doubt will....

CH Wizard 07-10-2004 09:32 PM

I know it's a little bit off topic but I don't beleive that in this year draft the canadiens don't pay too much attention at the 9th round ,they pick Mark Streit in the 9th round yeah a 27 years old of age , he has skills but too old but maybe he's a project it would be good if he gonna play in HAMILTON next year anyways it was a waste of pick ! Some good players were still available.

BUT MY POINT IS THAT WHY THE HABS WASTE A 9ROUND PICK ??? DON"T BELEIVE ME BUT DEMITRA WAS A 9TH ROUND PICK !!

Mooch 07-10-2004 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=thegreatone

BUT MY POINT IS THAT WHY THE HABS WASTE A 9ROUND PICK ??? DON"T BELEIVE ME BUT DEMITRA WAS A 9TH ROUND PICK !![/QUOTE]

Ya its pretty damn amazing what Demitra turned out to be considering what round he was picked in. I just hope Ryder can turn out to be something simular!

CH Wizard 07-10-2004 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Mooch]
Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone

BUT MY POINT IS THAT WHY THE HABS WASTE A 9ROUND PICK ??? DON"T BELEIVE ME BUT DEMITRA WAS A 9TH ROUND PICK !![/QUOTE

Ya its pretty damn amazing what Demitra turned out to be considering what round he was picked in. I just hope Ryder can turn out to be something simular!

Yeah in the 9round there not a lot of good players available but you never know it's kinda weird to have a prospect of 27 years of age ! You never know see Ryder ??? hmm finalist for the rookie of the year ?? :huh: he was even not projected to be a fourth liner ... Demitra is now one of the best offencive player in the NHL ! the candiens deceive me if there are no players to be projected to go in the nhl in the 9th round but it's not a reason to waste it you never know

EaGLE1 07-11-2004 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mooch]
Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone

BUT MY POINT IS THAT WHY THE HABS WASTE A 9ROUND PICK ??? DON"T BELEIVE ME BUT DEMITRA WAS A 9TH ROUND PICK !![/QUOTE

Ryder is not similar. I see Ryder as next Drury, Deadmarch...with less grit but more shooting skills. He should score between 25-30 goals a year and around 60-70 pts in his prime. He's already near his prime.