HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Jared Cowen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=904724)

karlskiller 04-17-2011 01:21 PM

Jared Cowen

I've been following the dub pretty closely this year (mostly Brandon and Spokane) and Jared Cowen is looking to be one of the best defensive prospects we've ever had. I've seen Chara as a comaprable but he never was able to raise his game to another level when it actually mattered. Cowen on the other hand has shown that he can turn up his game more than a couple notches when it's on the line. From what i've seen of him this year i would consider him the best D-man in the dub.

and just for fun here's some stats

Jared Cowen: GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Regular season 58 18 30 48 44 91

Playoffs: GP G A PTS +/- PIM
9 0 9 9 7 4

His playoffs so far have been next level. he's a PPG and has maintained his physical edge and intimidation without hurting his team with penalties.

Kid Canesten 04-17-2011 01:33 PM

i love what the sens did and let him go back to the whl to dominate and round out his offensive game. while we're not expecting him to come in a produce points, im sure he will be a mainstay and vocal leader in the locker room for a very long time.

cannot wait to see a karlsson-cowen pairing in the near future :)

Coco the Monkey* 04-17-2011 01:36 PM

Not to take anything away from him, but I should hope he is one of the best D-men in the WHL. It's his fourth year and he is built like a man. If he didn't dominate we would be questioning his abilities.

Droc 04-17-2011 01:42 PM

I just hope he has improved. At the worlds he sucked it up big time.

karlskiller 04-17-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droc (Post 32442934)

i hope this is a joke. he was a monster with the exception of the gold medal game. and the whole team sucked on that one.

Minister of Offence 04-17-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droc (Post 32442934)

This year? No he didn't....

He played the 2010 tournament on one leg basically.

EastCoastSensFan 04-17-2011 01:47 PM

It seems that people forget he was not on for a single even strength goal the whole WJC until the worst period ever by a Canadian national team.

They look at points and say ohh he sucks.

karlskiller 04-17-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastSensFan (Post 32443026)
It seems that people forget he was not on for a single even strength goal the whole WJC until the worst period ever by a Canadian national team.

This. i wish people could understand that there is way way way way WAY more than just point production that go into a great hockey player.

Powdered Toast Man 04-17-2011 01:51 PM

Cowen was "officially" the second best defenseman on Team Canada last year, behind Ellis.

BigEyedPhish 04-17-2011 01:53 PM

I see his highest potential of a ceiling as a Shea Weber type..

Lowest potential is probably a Chris Phillips.

Either way both would be great because we already have Karlsson/Rundblad/Wierioch and could use a shutdown type. A Shea Weber would be ****in great tho.

Minister of Offence 04-17-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlskiller (Post 32443082)
This. i wish people could understand that there is way way way way WAY more than just point production that go into a great hockey player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastSensFan (Post 32443026)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish (Post 32443149)

Either way both would be great because we already have Karlsson/Rundblad/Wierioch and could use a shutdown type. A Shea Weber would be ****in great tho.

Ironically Shea Weber put up 0 points in his one WJC appearance. When they come to Team Canada they are assigned roles...Cowen played a much different role for Team Canada than he does for Spokane.

Weber's production in the WHL is a mirror image of Cowen's...so are their respective body types and size potentials. Weber developed a ton once he got to Nashville...I think we have been doing well in that regard, lets hope Cowen develops half as well as Weber did in his first couple years.

4thliner* 04-17-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Canesten (Post 32442800)
i love what the sens did and let him go back to the whl to dominate and round out his offensive game. while we're not expecting him to come in a produce points, im sure he will be a mainstay and vocal leader in the locker room for a very long time.

cannot wait to see a karlsson-cowen pairing in the near future :)

Cowen has the tools to put up at least 30 pts in the NHL. Maybe more if they can use his huge point shot from the point. He scores goals from the point due to his overpowering shot. Even with Karlsson and Rundblad he should still be the main guy on the 2nd PP unit going forward so he will get some PP time. Even for next year him and Rundblad if they both make the team should be on the 2nd PP unit assuming Karlsson and Gonchar lock up the 1st unit.

If he was on a team that had no offensive dman, his skating with the puck and shot would insure more pts.

4thliner* 04-17-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish (Post 32443149)

What if Ottawa decides to add Murphy :speechles

PKC* 04-17-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thliner (Post 32446812)
Cowen has the tools to put up at least 30 pts in the NHL. Maybe more if they can use his huge point shot from the point. He scores goals from the point due to his overpowering shot. Even with Karlsson and Rundblad he should still be the main guy on the 2nd PP unit going forward so he will get some PP time. Even for next year him and Rundblad if they both make the team should be on the 2nd PP unit assuming Karlsson and Gonchar lock up the 1st unit.

If he was on a team that had no offensive dman, his skating with the puck and shot would insure more pts.

Personally, if I was the coach, Cowen and Rundblad would earn their PP time from the work they do on the PK. First 10 games of the year, they should both learn the intricacies of PK'ing before they even sniff a second on any unit of the PP. Teach them responsibility in the early going and reap the rewards the rest of the season going forward.

Rumcajs 04-17-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thliner (Post 32447006)

Our D would be lengendary, hopefully Murphy doesn't pan out as a Gonchar type.

karlskiller 04-17-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thliner (Post 32447006)

if were going to add a D-man (which i don't really want) i'd much rather it be Hamilton.

a D unit of Karlsson,Rundblad,Hamilton,Cowen,Wiercioch, and Lee would be absolutley INSANE :amazed:

ShotDownCrosby 04-17-2011 04:23 PM

I sure hope we don't draft a D-man. Unless we are drafting like 3rd and 6th. lol. I'd rather use our pick for a forward.

Fenix Rises 2026 04-17-2011 04:36 PM

I'm still somewhat concerned about his speed, and his over-reliance on his long reach. He's a big boy, but he falls back on stick checking too much.

There is no question in my mind though that he is going to be a solid NHL player. If he wasn't in Junior this year, he would have spent most of the season as a senator. Nice to see the point totals have been strong this year.

aragorn 04-17-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKC (Post 32447074)
Personally, if I was the coach, Cowen and Rundblad would earn their PP time from the work they do on the PK. First 10 games of the year, they should both learn the intricacies of PK'ing before they even sniff a second on any unit of the PP. Teach them responsibility in the early going and reap the rewards the rest of the season going forward.

My thoughts as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlskiller (Post 32447151)
if were going to add a D-man (which i don't really want) i'd much rather it be Hamilton.

a D unit of Karlsson,Rundblad,Hamilton,Cowen,Wiercioch, and Lee would be absolutley INSANE :amazed:

Or Oleksiak or Siemens with the Nashville pick, although, I think they take all forwards in the first round. Or Mayfield or Musil in the early 2nd would be good as well, I think they need one more good, big, tough defencman to round out the group. Anybody know anything about Ryan Sproul D, he is listed around 54th?

wubwubwubwub 04-17-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 (Post 32447141)
Our D would be lengendary, hopefully Murphy doesn't pan out as a Gonchar type.

You mean if we pass up on him you hope he doesnt become a Gonchar type or if we pick him you hope he doesn't become a Gonchar type?

jordan7hm 04-17-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKC (Post 32447074)

I think this is a great idea. The 20 year old NHL rookies should earn their time on the PP by playing on the PK for the first 10 games of the year.
:shakehead

The Waffler 04-17-2011 10:13 PM

I spoke to quite a few fans of other team (MTL, Bos mostly) and they've expressed that they're worried about Cowen. Which makes me happy.

jbeck5 04-17-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan7hm (Post 32458152)
I think this is a great idea. The 20 year old NHL rookies should earn their time on the PP by playing on the PK for the first 10 games of the year.
:shakehead

I agree. That's asking for trouble. Kiss any chance at a successful season buh-bye.

A couple years ago we should have played carkner on the pp to make him earn his pk time.

Or how about we try this new amazing idea i have. It's called, playing your players in their strengths. Not exposing their weaknesses.

Mercurial 04-17-2011 10:18 PM

He's got his first goal of the playoffs tonight.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/49649

Spokane leads 1-0 through 1 against Tri-City. Series tied 2-2.

Minister of Offence 04-17-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercurial (Post 32458484)
He's got his first goal of the playoffs tonight.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/49649

Spokane leads 1-0 through 1 against Tri-City. Series tied 2-2.

Watching the game.