HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What made you a diehard Flyers fan? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=904907)

skoods 04-17-2011 09:26 PM

What made you a diehard Flyers fan?

Kind of self-explanatory. What event, instance, or person made you a diehard Flyers fan?

For me, I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area, so I was always a big Philly sports fan and cared about the Flyers. But, they were always behind the Eagles and Phillies as far as my passion for the teams went.

Then, I transferred to BC in January, 2009 and started living with a guy who was a diehard Bruins fan. His intense passion for hockey and the Bruins rubbed off on me and I started to really analyze the game and fall in love with the Flyers. Went to a couple of games that season (not the Winter Classic as I was back in PA at the time). Then, I went to game two and seven of the ECSF against the Bruins and that did it for me. The comeback of epic proportions turned me into a diehard hockey and Flyers fan. Now, I live for this stuff.

SgtJoseph 04-17-2011 09:36 PM

I have been watchin the Flyers since the beginning in 1967 when i was 9 yrs old....But became a diehard fan in the early 70s after i got to go to some games etc.....I gotta believe that anyone who got to see the early/mid 70s Flyers play live had to like that whole deal.....I live in Florida now and still either drive up or ride my Harley up for games etc each year...I rode up on my Harley 1100 miles nonstop last year for game 6, i guess that is diehard to some degree i suppose ?

skoods 04-17-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 32457017)
I have been watchin the Flyers since the beginning in 1967 when i was 9 yrs old....But became a diehard fan in the early 70s after i got to go to some games etc.....I gotta believe that anyone who got to see the early/mid 70s Flyers play live had to like that whole deal.....I live in Florida now and still either drive up or ride my Harley up for games etc each year...I rode up on my Harley 1100 miles nonstop last year for game 6, i guess that is diehard to some degree i suppose ?

LOL holy moly...I'll say that's diehard.

Which game six? Cup Finals? That must have been a rough drive home.

FlyerSithLord 04-17-2011 09:40 PM

Been a die hard Flyers fan for as long as I can remember. My dad was a big Flyers fan and I use to watch the games with him when I was little. I don't think there's anything in my life I love more than the Flyers haha

FlyerSithLord 04-17-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 32457017)

:handclap: kudos for the dedication!

SgtJoseph 04-17-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoods (Post 32457146)
LOL holy moly...I'll say that's diehard.

Which game six? Cup Finals? That must have been a rough drive home.

It was the cup finals, watched it with my buddies in South Jersey where i grew up [Westville]....Yes it was a long ride back, but it was a terrific run the team put together last year and i hope to do it again if our club can keep scratching and clawing through the playoffs...

hof2120 04-17-2011 10:12 PM

My dad let me stay up to watch all of the 5 OT game vs the Penguins with him when I was 9. That was the best memory I have with my dad, it was awesome. Running (literally) to Wawa at a commercial break at 1 am to get more chips and soda because we had ran out. Watching my dad yell like crazy at 2:30 in the morning when Primeau netted that goal. After that game I can literally count the number of Flyers games I've missed on one hand.

Amateur Hour 04-17-2011 10:33 PM

What made me a diehard Flyers fan? Conception.

Flyerfan4life 04-17-2011 10:59 PM

broad street bullies...

nuff said, been following the team since 1978

SolidSnakeUS 04-17-2011 11:18 PM

Probably Gagne and Desjardins. And I live near it.

RickeyBoy80 04-17-2011 11:22 PM

This seems like the perfect topic for my first-ever post. I was born, raised and spent the majority of my life in Texas. Have never even been to Philadelphia (I know, I'm a bad person). When I was about 5 or 6, we came across a Broad Street Bullies t-shirt at a garage sale. I loved the sound of it. I was able to buy it for 25 cents. I wore it out. Being curious, I learned the story behind it and came to love the Flyers. That shirt and the subsequent "Miracle on Ice" made me a hockey fan for life. Despite being a Texan, hockey is my favorite sport and the Flyers are my favorite team.

Mgkibbles 04-17-2011 11:27 PM

The 1999-2000 run with that young stud goalie Brian Boucher and the constant Lindros drama.

Snipsnap12 04-17-2011 11:30 PM

Being from northern ontario everyone always asks me why I am a flyers fan and not a leaf fan. For me it was lindros, being from ontario and me idolizing him at a young age I naturally followed him when he was a flyer. My passion and support for the team only grew from there.

ChumpyG 04-17-2011 11:33 PM

Paul Holmgren punching Andy Van Hellemond.

Jtown 04-17-2011 11:44 PM

I was born in Philadelphia in 83. My whole family is from Philly and im a fan of all the local teams and Temple University. the years i was able to first watch the flyers we were pretty bad. My first hockey memory was the Pittsburgh penguins beating the North Stars in the Finals.

So when Lindros came to town it was a huge deal for me. And I really got into the team during the strike shortened season of 94. That year I was glued to the TV during the Playoff run. My family got so into hockey that playoff run that we went out and bought hockey sticks and a hockey goal and started learning how to play street hockey.
That playoff run also is the reason why I absolutely hate the DEVILS.

My commitment to the team kinda wavered after the strike for reasons that had nothing to do with the strike such as college and what not. But this past stanley cup run reignited my new found passion for the sport. I think i have watched 70 games this year and am now an official addict. That Boston Series still to this day sends chills down my spine. They are my favorite area team now and its not even close.

Flyerfan4life 04-17-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChumpyG (Post 32460028)
Paul Holmgren punching Andy Van Hellemond.

video ???

sounds awesome

usahockey22flyers 04-18-2011 12:13 AM

Season Tixs have been in my family for a while. Going to the games all these years I suppose.

My favorite Flyers teams are the teams that don't have a lot of skill but work there ass off, like the Suprimeau 2003-2004 playoffs run.

I Even loved that terrible team 4-5 years ago, say what you want, the 06-07 Flyers worked there ass off every night, the puck wouldn't bounce there way most nights but I never complained about lack of effort.

SgtJoseph 04-18-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickeyBoy80 (Post 32459823)
This seems like the perfect topic for my first-ever post. I was born, raised and spent the majority of my life in Texas. Have never even been to Philadelphia (I know, I'm a bad person). When I was about 5 or 6, we came across a Broad Street Bullies t-shirt at a garage sale. I loved the sound of it. I was able to buy it for 25 cents. I wore it out. Being curious, I learned the story behind it and came to love the Flyers. That shirt and the subsequent "Miracle on Ice" made me a hockey fan for life. Despite being a Texan, hockey is my favorite sport and the Flyers are my favorite team.

That's a pretty cool story, you picked a good team to follow ! Have you seen the HBO documentary on the Broad street bullies ? If not, i think you would really appreciate it , and get a real good look at the actual players that were a big part of it....Welcome aboard !

Justified 04-18-2011 12:53 AM

They are the team living in SJ.

mirimon 04-18-2011 03:28 AM

The first NHL game that I saw was between Flyers and the Canadiens. I watched it with my brother who is a Canadiens fan, so I picked the other team. This was in 93. The Legion of Doom and especially Lindros really made me appreciate that choice in the following years. The amount I was able to follow the team increased as the Internet grew of course, so ever since games started to be streamed (or at least, ever since I've had a good enough connection) I've had a ****ed-up sleep cycle. Around then Gagné had already joined the team and become my favourite Flyer.

ChumpyG 04-18-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 32460294)
video ???

sounds awesome

It kinda kicked a little ass. Alas, I can't find video. I will keep searching though.

Vikke 04-18-2011 04:38 AM

I got a Flyers jersey when I was a kid.
Sent letters to Tommy Söderström when he played for the Flyers, he replied a few times, and also sent autographed cards of himself and Lindros.
That made me a fan forever.
Living in Sweden, it was kinda hard to follow the Flyers on a daily basis before the internet really became popular. Now, I haven't missed a game the last three seasons.
I'm probably gonna fly over to catch a few games next season. :)

DeadPhish5858 04-18-2011 06:37 AM

Watching Ron Hextal when I was young.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-18-2011 07:14 AM

Seeing them play.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 04-18-2011 07:35 AM

I actually used to play as the Islanders in hockey video games on genesis and snes and some on PS1 all the time when I was a kid, and they were my favorite team.

During a Flyers/Islanders game (in real life) I told my dad that we should root for the Islanders this time. Since he was a Flyers fan since the very beginning, he told me "You can root for whoever you want for in baseball or football, but we can only root for the Flyers in hockey."

I wasn't too happy, but one day I bought a bunch of hockey cards and one was this badass LeClair card that was all spiky and shiny. Then LeClair became my favorite player so transforming into a Flyers fan was easy.