HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TBN: Leopold expected to return tonight [EDIT: maybe] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=905078)

ct2111 04-18-2011 12:05 PM

Leopold expected to return tonight [EDIT: maybe]

Quote:

The Sabres are expected to get a huge boost tonight on the blue line. Jordan Leopold, who led Buffalo defensemen with 13 goals, is likely to return to the lineup for the first time since breaking his hand March 25, The News has learned.
Source: SabresEdge

:handclap:

ohheyimmark 04-18-2011 12:06 PM

NICE. I wonder if Rej is coming out.

Myllz 04-18-2011 12:08 PM

Yay! :handclap:

Penalty Killa 04-18-2011 12:14 PM

woo hoo - you've been missed, jordan.

Ghills23 04-18-2011 12:16 PM

Hopefully he's 100%.

Who would be the odd man out. I've liked Gragnani's play so far both offensively and defensively. But will it be him or Montador or Sekera.

Sabretip 04-18-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockstar2866 (Post 32466148)
NICE. I wonder if Rej is coming out.

God, I hope not - he had his ups and downs in Game 2 but he still provides a safer option than Montador, who's been in a tailspin the past 3 weeks, and smarter play in the defensive zone than Gragnani IMO.

fightclubber25 04-18-2011 12:18 PM

have a seat steve

Sabretip 04-18-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghills23 (Post 32466315)
Hopefully he's 100%.

Who would be the odd man out. I've liked Gragnani's play so far both offensively and defensively. But will it be him or Montador or Sekera.

Offensively, yes - but defensively? Really? I know everyone keeps pointing to his play on the shorthanded rush the Rangers had, which led to Connolly's GWG the other way - but Gragnani has been pushed around far too often in his own zone and has been soft in protecting the front of his own net IMO.

That said, I'd still take him over Montador at this point, who's been playing like a time-bomb ready to implode at any given moment.....

Timbo Slice 04-18-2011 12:20 PM

Great news!

ct2111 04-18-2011 12:21 PM

Now they've changed their headline to "might return" and "possibly return". Wonder what that means.

ohheyimmark 04-18-2011 12:28 PM

Bet Lindy freaked because of how tight lipped he likes to be about things. I still feel like Leo will be in.

Burgmania 04-18-2011 12:28 PM

Sounds like TBN is doing their ol' CYA routine.

Husko 04-18-2011 12:30 PM

Should be Grags out. Can't really take out Montador, don't have another RH dman.

Sabretip 04-18-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockstar2866 (Post 32466514)
Bet Lindy freaked because of how tight lipped he likes to be about things. I still feel like Leo will be in.

TBN updates from last week said that Leopold was skating and passing well - so, even if he's not 100% ready to shoot the puck, it wouldn't be the first time a team brought a defenseman back a little early with limited capacity on the offensive side as long as they're capable in their own zone.

New Sabres Captain 04-18-2011 12:41 PM

I wonder if Sekera had a setback playing last game, he might be the one to come out. He didn't take part in the morning skate...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hamilton
Bucky Gleason writes that Jordan Leopold could possibly return to the Sabres lineup tonight. I've had one person within the organization tell me he's 95-percent sure Leopold is playing. That would be about one week ahead of schedule. It does go against what the defenseman told me on Sunday when he said he was on schedule but not ahead of schedule. Andrej Sekera did not take part in the morning skate.

http://wgr550.com/Do-the-Sabres-have...prise-/9645934

Ghills23 04-18-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32466369)
Offensively, yes - but defensively? Really? I know everyone keeps pointing to his play on the shorthanded rush the Rangers had, which led to Connolly's GWG the other way - but Gragnani has been pushed around far too often in his own zone and has been soft in protecting the front of his own net IMO.

That said, I'd still take him over Montador at this point, who's been playing like a time-bomb ready to implode at any given moment.....

I think Gragnani has done well in his own end. With tht said I I think he'll be the one coming out because him and Leopold both bring similar things to the table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husko (Post 32466553)
Should be Grags out. Can't really take out Montador, don't have another RH dman.

Good point but I wouldn't be surprised if Montador sat tonight.

Sabretip 04-18-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords (Post 32466776)
I wonder if Sekera had a setback playing last game, he might be the one to come out. He didn't take part in the morning skate...

There was the one play in Game 2 where Sekera was hit by a shot in front of his net, went down to all fours and then had Richards hacking away at his head with the stick. Not sure if that resulted in an injury or not but it wouldn't surprise me to learn it did....

OkimLom 04-18-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husko (Post 32466553)

I don't see why you can't take out the guy that has been playing the worst. Montador for the past month has been awful. He has shown nothing in the playoffs that shows he can handle his own.

New Sabres Captain 04-18-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32466845)
There was the one play in Game 2 where Sekera was hit by a shot in front of his net, went down to all fours and then had Richards hacking away at his head with the stick. Not sure if that resulted in an injury or not but it wouldn't surprise me to learn it did....

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. He was out with an UBI (muscle sprain I think), so it's possible that was re-aggravated by the shot, but he also finished the game so it might be something he can play through and he's just getting some additional rest :dunno:

Jame 04-18-2011 12:57 PM

Am I the only one who is not all that excited about this? Leopold broke his hand a few weeks ago. No way is he fully recovered. And without his shot, and quick/accurate passes... he's a major liability.

If Sekera can't go, then I'd rather have a gimpy Leopold... but... im nervous

Sabretip 04-18-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meganie (Post 32466388)
Now they've changed their headline to "might return" and "possibly return". Wonder what that means.

WGR's report from yesterday read:

Quote:

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- The Sabres had an optional skate Sunday and Jordan Leopold did take part. He's passing and doing a little shooting, "It's good, it's getting better every day, I'm pretty positive the way it looks, but there's still some time to let things heal and let things get better."

As far as if April 25th is still a target Leopold said, "I would say I'm right on schedule, that's a good assessment. Things can change always and I hold appointments once a week and we evaluate from there."

Leopold does not take booming slap shots yet and he does have to be careful he doesn't try things too soon to aggravate the hand and finger, "There's certain things I can do and certain things I can't do and it's all pain tolerance and getting information from our training staff and team doctors."
http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Leopold-con...-Portl/9638787

Maybe Gleason was forecasting something that was overly optimistic - sounds like Leopold himself didn't think he was ready yet as recently as yesterday. :shakehead

New Sabres Captain 04-18-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 32467114)
Am I the only one who is not all that excited about this? Leopold broke his hand a few weeks ago. No way is he fully recovered. And without his shot, and quick/accurate passes... he's a major liability.

If Sekera can't go, then I'd rather have a gimpy Leopold... but... im nervous

No, I am definitely nervous about it too...but I don't think he would be playing if he couldn't handle the puck. His shot will probably be an issue--but that's not a major problem if he were filling in for Monty, the defense would be the improvement.

But he needs to be able to stickhandle and pass the puck with ease.

Jame 04-18-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32467129)
WGR's report from yesterday read:

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Leopold-con...-Portl/9638787

Maybe Gleason was forecasting something that was overly optimistic - sounds like Leopold himself didn't think he was ready yet as recently as yesterday. :shakehead

i dont think he plays...

Boose30 04-18-2011 01:04 PM

:handclap:

time to sit down montador, hes on his way out at the end of the season anyway

Sabretip 04-18-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 32467241)
i dont think he plays...

I don't either - not if he still can't take slapshots as of yesterday and was confirming next Monday as a target for returning.

For all we know, Bucky got into a heated debate with a Flyers' beat reporter on which team would get an injured defenseman back first and just wanted to add salt on the Pronger hype by predicting a Leopold recovery. :sarcasm: