HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: NHL staying with NBC/Versus in 10-year/$2B exclusive rights deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=905459)

GKJ 04-19-2011 09:15 AM

NHL staying with NBC/Versus in 10-year/$2B exclusive rights deal

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...9/NBC-NHL.aspx

RT @wyshynski: From a solid media source: NBC/NHL is a 10-year deal.

RT @DarrenDreger: @wyshynski. I've heard $200 mil per year x 10 yrs as well.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ent_for_today/

It'll be interesting to see if there is any change in the coverage. For $200M per year, I can't imagine NBC only wanting to show 10 games during the season the playoffs.

Appears that no one was interested in sharing the rights.

might2mash 04-19-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 32492731)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...9/NBC-NHL.aspx

RT @wyshynski: From a solid media source: NBC/NHL is a 10-year deal.

RT @DarrenDreger: @wyshynski. I've heard $200 mil per year x 10 yrs as well.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ent_for_today/

It'll be interesting to see if there is any change in the coverage. For $200M per year, I can't imagine NBC only wanting to show 10 games during the season the playoffs.

So... Comcast still owns the NHL. :sarcasm:

Jester 04-19-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 32492731)

There was never a chance that Comcast was going to be sharing rights with ESPN. It was also an exclusive negotiating window right now (pretty sure), so it was never really under discussion I'm sure.

cbenn314 04-19-2011 09:37 AM

Probably the wrong spot for this, but didnt think it deserved its own thread.

I live in Capitals territory. Tomorrow, Ill be getting them on CSN, meaning VS. will be blacked out. Any chance I can watch us play, or am I back to the internet streaming?

GKJ 04-19-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32492970)
There was never a chance that Comcast was going to be sharing rights with ESPN. It was also an exclusive negotiating window right now (pretty sure), so it was never really under discussion I'm sure.

I might be wrong on this, but I was reading no one else was interested either. ESPN had an offer for one game a week where I assume that would have to be shared rights.

Fox & Turner were confirmed to be making offers, I believe, so they were in it and trying. I had zero interest in the NHL being on freaking TruTV. If league wanted to remain the lead dog, might as well just stick with where you're at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbenn314 (Post 32493124)
Probably the wrong spot for this, but didnt think it deserved its own thread.

I live in Capitals territory. Tomorrow, Ill be getting them on CSN, meaning VS. will be blacked out. Any chance I can watch us play, or am I back to the internet streaming?

We can merge it later, but it's topical because for the next 10 years, the entity that owns the Flyers will continue to be providing the league with their television contract.

Jester 04-19-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 32493165)
I might be wrong on this, but I was reading no one else was interested either. ESPN had an offer for one game a week where I assume that would have to be shared rights.

Fox & Turner were confirmed to be making offers, I believe, so they were in it and trying. I had zero interest in the NHL being on freaking TruTV. If league wanted to remain the lead dog, might as well just stick with where you're at.

Comcast-NBC had right of first refusal (just checked, exclusive negotiating ended in January). ESPN definitely had interest in getting in on the NHL action with the looming NBA lockout (which seems like a sure thing), and the potential for a NFL lockout... the combination of which will leave ESPN without much programming for the fall after baseball is over (and ESPN no longer has MLB playoff games).

Comcast, however, has a longstanding blood feud with ESPN, so they were never going to get into bed with one another. Similarly, the NBC portion of the partnership isn't going to be sharing with Fox and co.

What we're about to see is a potential coup for Comcast, who has been trying to get after ESPN for years... the potential lockouts are going to make NBC Sports the premier sports network once baseball is over, and give them a chance to grow the network and maybe get a bit more exposure.

GKJ 04-19-2011 09:59 AM

Also sounds like NBC/VS had the ability to match whatever anyone else was offering.

Orange Crush 89 04-19-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32493343)
Comcast-NBC had right of first refusal (just checked, exclusive negotiating ended in January). ESPN definitely had interest in getting in on the NHL action with the looming NBA lockout (which seems like a sure thing), and the potential for a NFL lockout... the combination of which will leave ESPN without much programming for the fall after baseball is over (and ESPN no longer has MLB playoff games).

Comcast, however, has a longstanding blood feud with ESPN, so they were never going to get into bed with one another. Similarly, the NBC portion of the partnership isn't going to be sharing with Fox and co.

What we're about to see is a potential coup for Comcast, who has been trying to get after ESPN for years... the potential lockouts are going to make NBC Sports the premier sports network once baseball is over, and give them a chance to grow the network and maybe get a bit more exposure.

This is part of the reason I'm really hoping for an NFL and NBA lockout. Hockey deserves recognition and hopefully would get it when there's no football or basketball going on. It's a shame really because hockey is such a great game, just unfortunate that it's not as accessible as other games. It's easier to follow, have interest in and discuss a game you probably played growing up (football, baseball, basketball, soccer) whereas a lot of people never played hockey so in turn don't really "get" it.

Beef Invictus 04-19-2011 11:34 AM

I'd appreciate it if Snider could arrange to have Eddie O taken off NBC broadcasts.

Orange Crush 89 04-19-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32495274)
I'd appreciate it if Snider could arrange to have Eddie O taken off NBC broadcasts.

I agree with this, but I actually don't like any of the NBC clowns.

Murphy7 04-19-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32495274)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 (Post 32495346)

Just wait until they start pouring the foundation for Philly Live! I bet some of those guys disappear forever.

Beef Invictus 04-19-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 (Post 32495346)

Darren Pang physically pains me.

Fleury4ever 04-19-2011 11:43 AM

Praise Jesus, no ESPN!

NHL just needs to keep working on the online broadcasting & I'm happy. Versus has been expanding their coverage and if NBC does based on the money this is good. Only downside is Mike Milbury's continued existence...

Beef Invictus 04-19-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleury4ever (Post 32495468)
Praise Jesus, no ESPN!

NHL just needs to keep working on the online broadcasting & I'm happy. Versus has been expanding their coverage and if NBC does based on the money this is good. Only downside is Mike Milbury's continued existence...

Mike Milbury physically pains me.

dbr2 04-19-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32495606)

this times 12345678987654323456789876543234567

ShotScore* 04-19-2011 12:41 PM

I hope the NHL will benefit from the NBA lockout.

I can't stand the NBA and if that league crumbled into oblivion I wouldn't miss it a bit.

Hockey is so much better.

Blackhawkswincup 04-19-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32495606)

Imagine how Isle fans feel when they see him

DeadPhish5858 04-19-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 32497213)
Imagine how Isle fans feel when they see him

lolYashin

Wayne Train 04-19-2011 01:13 PM

Thank god.

Anybody who thought that ESPN would actually start to recognize hockey is nuts...first night of the NHL playoffs I think they lead off with a baseball story. It's game 10 of a 162 game season, that says it all.

CTU2fan 04-19-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotScore (Post 32496635)
I hope the NHL will benefit from the NBA lockout.

I can't stand the NBA and if that league crumbled into oblivion I wouldn't miss it a bit.

I like the NBA, but I do think a lockout might help the NHL exposure a bit. Though ESPN will still have college hoops and college football, so they'll probably just focus a bit more on those. And the NFL, which I think in the end will settle its issues and play next season.

Quote:

Hockey is so much better.
On this, we agree.

Jester 04-19-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer Rob (Post 32497353)
Thank god.

Anybody who thought that ESPN would actually start to recognize hockey is nuts...first night of the NHL playoffs I think they lead off with a baseball story. It's game 10 of a 162 game season, that says it all.

ESPN carries baseball games, of course they're going to talk about the baseball season.

There's a DIRECT relationship to what games ESPN carries on its networks, and SC talking about a sport. One of the primary reasons people want to be back on ESPN is so that ESPN will talk about the NHL more.

Have you not noticed that ESPN has suddenly started to talk about European soccer leagues all the time now that they're carrying some games?

Beef Invictus 04-19-2011 01:18 PM

There's going to be an NBC broadcast NHL game on Black Friday now.

Wayne Train 04-19-2011 01:19 PM

Of course they can/have to talk about baseball, but does it have to be the lead story in game 10/162 while it's the first night of the playoffs?

Jester 04-19-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer Rob (Post 32497483)
Of course they can/have to talk about baseball, but does it have to be the lead story in game 10/162 while it's the first night of the playoffs?

It's a business man... ESPN as a network isn't selling NHL playoff games (their competitors are), they are selling baseball games. Why should ESPN going to any effort to pimp a product that is getting shown on Versus (a channel created purely to compete with ESPN) and NBC (a channel competing with ABC)?

Wayne Train 04-19-2011 01:57 PM

Reading some of the details...around 100 regular season games per year to be broadcasted on NBC, very nice.
I see there's also going to be a "Game of the Night" on Versus and they are broadcasting 'premier matchup' games on certain nights as well.