HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are the Rangers targeting Mike Green's head? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=905481)

MorrisWanchuk 04-19-2011 10:43 AM

Are the Rangers targeting Mike Green's head?

I don't think so - but Bruce Boudreau keeps making that point and now the hockey media in Canada has picked up on it.

In this podcast (link below, at around 12mins left in the podcast) James Mirtle of the Globe & Mail states that he thinks the Rangers are targeting Mike Green's head and that he's surprised that Mark Staal was not suspended for a hit to Green's head.

He equates Staal's hit to Kunitz's elbow....

This is all seems ridiculous to me - can't believe that Boudreau's whining seems to be having an effect.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1991093/

edit: Mirtle responds in post 19 that he doesn't think that the NYR are targeting the head but was simply reporting that Bruce B thought that. He is surprised that Staal's hit wasn't lumped in with other hits to the head in the 'potentially suspendworthy' category.

Bleed Ranger Blue 04-19-2011 10:45 AM

I dont even know the hit theyre talking about.

But I did see Kunitz's elbow and that was absolutely filthy. Nothing even approached that hit over the first 3 games of this series.

NYRFAN218 04-19-2011 10:47 AM

No but if they are, they're doing a ****** job of it.

pld459666 04-19-2011 10:48 AM

Is it a known injury?

Is thsi the Playoffs?

They effing better bet targeting his head.

That's all I have to say about that....

King of cool 04-19-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 32494329)
I dont even know the hit theyre talking about.

But I did see Kunitz's elbow and that was absolutely filthy. Nothing even approached that hit over the first 3 games of this series.

That was on the Caps 1st goal.

rody 04-19-2011 10:50 AM

What a ridiculous statement. no one on our team is that stupid. yes they are hitting him like any other player . Boudreau has to stop whining and let his players play the game on the ice and shut up to the media.

Kovalev27 04-19-2011 10:52 AM

hilarious after washington targeted marc staal for 2 straight games every chance they got. you always try and go after the other teams top dman and make him pay come playoff time. so yeah we better be targeting him. not his head per say but we should be hitting him high and hard every chance we get as long as its clean

azrok22 04-19-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus (Post 32494412)

Comparing that hit to Kunitz's is like comparing me shooting fireworks in my backyard to ****ing Pearl Harbor.

I'd offer Boudreau some cheese to go with his wine, but I refuse to contribute to his impending heart disease.

BlueshirtBlitz 04-19-2011 10:57 AM

Lmao, Marc barely even hits him there. At first I thought he nailed him with the stick the ridiculous way Green went flailing away but then I realized he dropped the stick because it bumped into Green (who shouldn't be skating like that in our zone in the first place if he doesn't want to get hurt) and all he does is push him.

Wow. What a ****ing idiot Boudreau is. I had no problem with him before this but he's a ****ing tool.

Stugots 04-19-2011 10:58 AM

How about Ovechkin targeting Rangers players with his cheap crosschecks? Somebody stuff a donut in this guy's mouth so he shuts up.

94now 04-19-2011 11:00 AM

Everyone targets everyone. There is nothing yet everything wrong with it. Everyone knows that. It will change, but not now. Not any time soon. But it will.

pld459666 04-19-2011 11:01 AM

I saw Boyd Gordon bump a Rangers knowing there was a good chance the Ranger player was fall onto a prone Lundqvist.

He know full well what he was trying to do.

Fatboy is crying cause he knows that as long as he does it, it will have an effect on the Refs, however slight the effect will be.

Primetime Powerplay 04-19-2011 11:02 AM

Marc flubbed a hit and barely made contact. Green's "headshot by sniper" reaction was not needed

BlueshirtBlitz 04-19-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJBergy86 (Post 32494655)
Marc flubbed a hit and barely made contact. Green's "headshot by sniper" reaction was not needed

Seriously. I don't want to call it a dive....but it looked like a dive to me.

eco's bones 04-19-2011 11:25 AM

Boudreau is just trying to influence the officials to make more calls against the Rangers. He did the same **** in 2009. At least a couple of the calls against his team the other night were very marginal--over the course of the series there were a couple bad ones on the Rangers as well. Pretty much the officiating at this point is about even in my mind--but Boudreau is definitely trying to get the public opinion, the refs and even the league on his side. He definitely wants to curtail the Rangers playing very physically against his stars.

Do I care whether he thinks his own building is louder than MSG?--Not really. It's a relatively free country--he can think whatever he wants. And I don't think he's going to get anywhere with the Staal hit--Green seemed to be already a little off balance and falling into Staal's path. No way Marc was targeting his head. I mainly see his remarks as posturing.

PassShootScore 04-19-2011 11:31 AM

if his head isnt strong enogh to take a hit he should beplaying in the playoffs yet

DubiDubiDoo 04-19-2011 11:35 AM

I'm sure were targeting green, but you dont need to target a guys head to get him off his game. Green knows he has a concussion problem, if the rangers keep coming at him he'll be extra cautious, doesn't mean their going after his head.

As for the Staal hit, it was a last second attempt at a hit that barely worked, hardly "Targeting" in my opinion, doubt Staal even knew which cap it was till the last second. Add that to the fact that Green is bent over and again, you have a 6'4 guy trying to hit a guy who's 6'1 and bent over....

MorrisWanchuk 04-19-2011 12:17 PM

AGrossRecord

Torts on Boudreau saying Rangers targeting Green, says Rangers have "confidence officials won't be influenced by all the whining going on."

James Mirtle 04-19-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk (Post 32494272)
James Mirtle of the Globe & Mail states that he thinks the Rangers are targeting Mike Green's head and that he's surprised that Mark Staal was not suspended for a hit to Green's head.

No, I didn't say that.

I said, and I feel odd quoting myself, but: "One thing the Capitals have said is they think the Rangers are targeting Mike Green's head."

And I am surprised as the league has been suspending a lot of elbow to the head contact of late. I've seen that Staal hit on the highlights here in Toronto a few times.

beef 4 lunch 04-19-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk (Post 32496112)
AGrossRecord

Torts on Boudreau saying Rangers targeting Green, says Rangers have "confidence officials won't be influenced by all the whining going on."

times like these....you gotta love torts

ogie 04-19-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus (Post 32494412)

anyone else catch Ovechkin at the beginning of this clip? what is he taking lessons from Cristiano Ronaldo?

pwoz 04-19-2011 01:01 PM

Should go after AO, Semin, and Backstrom, not mohawk boy.

CM PUNK 04-19-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJBergy86 (Post 32494655)

i liked how he got right up and was no longer hurt as soon as the caps scored

NY Lito 04-19-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 32494382)
Is it a known injury?

Is thsi the Playoffs?

They effing better bet targeting his head.

That's all I have to say about that....

Agreed. If he had a bad knee, I would expect them to be trying to tear every ligament in there.

Shame it's his head, but Mikey's not suiting up in Ranger blue anytime soon. I'm not saying go headhunting, but I'm not saying don't go headhunting either...from that dive, it seems like lil Mikey is a little afraid of anything going to his head...aka go for it (or at least seem like you are) every ******* time.

Oh, and Boudreau's a fat ****.

MorrisWanchuk 04-19-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Mirtle (Post 32496580)
No, I didn't say that.

I said, and I feel odd quoting myself, but: "One thing the Capitals have said is they think the Rangers are targeting Mike Green's head."

And I am surprised as the league has been suspending a lot of elbow to the head contact of late. I've seen that Staal hit on the highlights here in Toronto a few times.

apologies if i got that first bit wrong. you were talking generally about teams being more physical in the playoffs and i thought that's what i heard. i appreciate you correcting that.

i disagree with your assessment that the Staal hit could be lumped in with other hits to the head (not sure whether that your personal opinion is that it should be or rather that you expected the league to do so) - but then we can't agree on everything.