HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Eagles Scheduled 1/1/12 Home Game Means No Winter Classic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=905637)

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 06:56 PM

Eagles Scheduled 1/1/12 Home Game Means No Winter Classic

Per Dave Isaac Tweet @davegisaac

Quote:

Eagles schedule includes a home game on January 1 so hopes of a Winter Classic in Philly pretty much die with that.
I had heard that he Flyers were the front-runners to face the Rangers in Philly at either the Bank or he Linc... with NBC behind it... Seems unlikely they'd want to have two big events a the site on he same day. Also the football field with the better sight-lines would now be out of the mix regardless.

... Fell free to move this if it doesn't belong here.

Beef Invictus 04-19-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 32503727)
Per Dave Isaac Tweet @davegisaac

I had heard that he Flyers were the front-runners to face the Rangers in Philly at either the Bank or he Linc... with NBC behind it... Seems unlikely they'd want to have two big events a the site on he same day. Also the football field with the better sight-lines would now be out of the mix regardless.

... Fell free to move this if it doesn't belong here.

I imagine it would be at Citizens Bank

JVR21 04-19-2011 07:01 PM

We don't deserve to have another Winter Classic so soon. I think two seasons from now would be good timing.

GKJ 04-19-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32503766)
I imagine it would be at Citizens Bank

Won't happen. NHL wants this in football stadiums.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 04-19-2011 07:04 PM

Boston's was in Fenway. Besides, doesn't CBP seat more? They also like money, I hear.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-19-2011 07:13 PM

Good. The NHL *****ed up by giving it to Pitt after they were in it two years ago or whatever. There are far more deserving places (Minnesota comes to mind, New York, etc).

The Flin Flon Bomber 04-19-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 32503883)
Boston's was in Fenway. Besides, doesn't CBP seat more? They also like money, I hear.

Capacities:
Linc - 68,532
CBP - 43,647
Fenway - 37,402

FlyerSithLord 04-19-2011 07:15 PM

I'd rather wait a few years for the Flyers to get it again. I went to the one in Fenway and it was an amazing event, but the novelty of it would wear off if we were in it every couple years. Let Minnesota, Colorado or NY get the next two.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-19-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Not even close. I don't know the exact number, but the Linc holds close to 70k and CBP has in the low to mid 40s.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 04-19-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 32504110)
Not even close. I don't know the exact number, but the Linc holds close to 70k and CBP has in the low to mid 40s.

Womp womp. I failed there haha. I've never been in the Linc so I didn't realize it was so grandeuse. Hmm, well, the fact that they played in Fenway stands.

Still seems fishy, I doubt they would like the Eagles competing with them that day anyway.

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

I was at Fenway and can attest to the fact that some seats have bad views of the game... The configuration within a football stadium allows better sight-lines for most all the seats. And CBP has more seats than Fenway but much less tha the Linc... and even less decent view seats for a hockey game.

Many feel that baseball venues have a better atmosphere than the newer and less comfy football fields without the 'Ashburn Alley' type areas and cozier feel... I disagree and would rather have the view.

Pittsburgh has had two already... but that would make three straight for the state of PA... I understand NBC and the NHL would love the Rangers but the New Yankee Stadium is booked for a bowl (IIRC) and the Meadowlands has shared NFL teams that would play there every Sunday... and nobody wants it at the Mets Citi Field... If Rangers are to be included it must be an away game... Philly could have a dual home game feel with both STHs allowed to buy tickets. Other teams like Boston and Washington were also recent participants and are further in distance... Flyers Rangers would be good for almost everybody involved IMO.

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord (Post 32504106)
I'd rather wait a few years for the Flyers to get it again. I went to the one in Fenway and it was an amazing event, but the novelty of it would wear off if we were in it every couple years. Let Minnesota, Colorado or NY get the next two.

It's all about ratings and promoting the NHL while bringing in sponsors and viewers to NBC... Minny and Colorado would not fit in... NYC would be great and done IMO if possible, but I already discussed my reasoning on why I don't think that will happen.

Also we keep in mind remember that the Canadian teams are out of it with their Heritage Classic and that leaves less teams to pick... and warmer climates are also out.

My son feels that waiting for Philly Live to be up and running is the best idea for both he WC and All-Star Game in Philly... I'd rather no wait.

BrindamoursNose 04-19-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 32503846)
Won't happen. NHL wants this in football stadiums.

Well, there's been two baseball stadiums so far. It doesn't seem like the NHL is concerned with the sport the stadium is played in.

FlyerSithLord 04-19-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 32504657)
It's all about ratings and promoting the NHL while bringing in sponsors and viewers to NBC... Minny and Colorado would not fit in... NYC would be great and done IMO if possible, but I already discussed my reasoning on why I don't think that will happen.

Also we keep in mind remember that the Canadian teams are out of it with their Heritage Classic and that leaves less teams to pick... and warmer climates are also out.

My son feels that waiting for Philly Live to be up and running is the best idea for both he WC and All-Star Game in Philly... I'd rather no wait.

I think Minnesota or Colorado could fit if given the right opponent. There's only so many U.S. cities that could host this event, unless they started going to neutral locations.

I was actually thinking the same thing about Philly Live.

GKJ 04-19-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 32504739)
Well, there's been two baseball stadiums so far. It doesn't seem like the NHL is concerned with the sport the stadium is played in.

Wrigley and Fenway aren't baseball stadiums, they're sports cathedrals.

JVR21 04-19-2011 07:47 PM

I know it would never happen, but how awesome would it be if there was a WC at PPL Park? That would be absolutely nuts and provide great right on top of the action seats.

FlyerSithLord 04-19-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 32504841)
I know it would never happen, but how awesome would it be if there was a WC at PPL Park? That would be absolutely nuts and provide great right on top of the action seats.

lol a hockey game in Chester?

RJ8812 04-19-2011 08:00 PM

wont involve us anyways

it'll be Pittsburgh vs Washington again

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 32504841)

Could they even fit in all the Flyers season ticket holders in that tiny bandbox? :laugh:

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 08:07 PM

There's always Flyers/Rags a State Park... Vast venue with good configuration and a location that could draw BOTH fan bases... I know that that was supposed to be a Flyers/Pens spot but they couldn't have the Pens again... especially if Crosby is no 100% certain to be in it. :sarcasm:

mypunkrock 04-19-2011 08:10 PM

Admit it, the Vet would have been kick ass for a Winter Classic.

Sawdalite 04-19-2011 08:16 PM

Good point raised... WC would be New Years Eve 12/31/11 so there is no conflict with the NFL games on Sunday 1/1/12... Interesting; it allows Philly and CBP -- Linc would be out due to field set up for football -- also avoids Mummers Parade conflict.

JVR21 04-19-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 32505106)
Could they even fit in all the Flyers season ticket holders in that tiny bandbox? :laugh:

Wiki says it holds 18,500.

sobrien 04-19-2011 08:53 PM

Good, the Linc's field conditions are bad enough for all the stuff they do their. Do it in Yankee Stadium, the new Meadowlands stadium, or Happy Valley.

BillyShoe1721 04-19-2011 09:08 PM

Football on ice.