HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumor: Flyers could take Winter Classic to the Bank (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=906242)

JABEE 04-21-2011 08:12 AM

Flyers could take Winter Classic to the Bank

Quote:

A league source familiar with the NHL's thinking regarding the 2012 Winter Classic told the Daily News yesterday that Citizens Bank Park is a "very real possibility" to host the event.

http://philly.com/phillycom/pm_10182...tguid=SHSze21C

GKJ 04-21-2011 08:34 AM

It's really because pretty much any football stadium the league would consider is in use on New Year's Day.

phiflyers2003 04-21-2011 08:35 AM

I Think they announced it

On the way home from work, i thought i heard WIP 610 Am announce that the winter classic is being held at the Bank.

GKJ 04-21-2011 08:37 AM

I'm 100% sure that WIP wouldn't be the ones to break this story.

MCAKES 04-21-2011 08:42 AM

Ang was talking about it this morning on his show.

phiflyers2003 04-21-2011 08:45 AM

ok so it's not official they were just talking about it then on his show.

MCAKES 04-21-2011 08:55 AM

Yup he was referencing the article above though

pelts35.com 04-21-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 32545694)
It's really because pretty much any football stadium the league would consider is in use on New Year's Day.

It didn't stop the game from being held in Pittsburgh last year.

Hollywood Couturier 04-21-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 32546319)
It didn't stop the game from being held in Pittsburgh last year.

Pittsburgh's stadium wasn't in use. What GKJ is saying is that all possible cities that could be considered are housing a NFL game on 1/1.

SeanVT395 04-21-2011 11:55 AM

I really hope they don't host the WC this year, they were just in it 2 years ago. Then there's Pittsburgh. There are other teams much more deserving.

Of course of of that means nothing. NBC is obviously going to milk off their Cash cows for audience ratings year after year.

Don't get me wrong; It makes sense, I just don't like it. It gives fan bases another reason to dislike us.

pelts35.com 04-21-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon (Post 32546380)
Pittsburgh's stadium wasn't in use. What GKJ is saying is that all possible cities that could be considered are housing a NFL game on 1/1.

Got it. I forgot that in the NFL's infinite wisdom that they released a schedule while trying to lock their players out.

However, since the Eagles game is at 1:00, talk about a complete logistical nightmare if the Winter Classic is at the Ballpark.

Murphy7 04-21-2011 12:09 PM

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=905637

Explains all of the field usage and scheduling issues for NHL and WC. The game will not be Jan. 1.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-21-2011 12:13 PM

They should host it at a college stadium. U of Minn has a sick new outdoor stadium that holds hella people. Or there's Rutgers Stadium that hold a lot of people (could be NY game if yankee stadium doesn't want it or Meadowlands is in use). I wonder if that possibilty has been discussed.

drownedsailors 04-21-2011 12:25 PM

The only reason why I would want the Flyers to host the Winter Classic is for the HBO series (if they're willing to do it again).

I mean it was fun watching the Caps and Pens but the whole time I was thinking "Damn I wonder what the Flyers would be doing". Aside from that though; I agree that it's not fair to other teams who have great fans and deserve a Classic but won't get one because their team isn't "marketable"; :shakehead in my opinion that's B.S...

Jester 04-21-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drownedsailors (Post 32549337)
The only reason why I would want the Flyers to host the Winter Classic is for the HBO series (if they're willing to do it again).

I mean it was fun watching the Caps and Pens but the whole time I was thinking "Damn I wonder what the Flyers would be doing". Aside from that though; I agree that it's not fair to other teams who have great fans and deserve a Classic but won't get one because their team isn't "marketable"; :shakehead in my opinion that's B.S...

It's a business... not a charity.

I agree that it would be nice if they'd spread it around more, but NBC doesn't care... they want ratings.

Flyersfan139 04-21-2011 12:59 PM

That would be awesome if it were at Citzens bank! I wonder how much a seat would run.

DrinkFightFlyers 04-21-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32549554)
It's a business... not a charity.

I agree that it would be nice if they'd spread it around more, but NBC doesn't care... they want ratings.

Yeah that's the truth. I wonder what kind of ratings like Minnesota vs. Colorado would get. I'd be psyched on that game. I guess if you're not a die-hard hockey fan though that wouldn't interest you.

usahockey22flyers 04-21-2011 03:49 PM

Just got a FWD'd text from JvR's best friend saying............"Winter Classic 2012....Philadelphia. It's official. Most likely at Citizen's Bank Park but might be at the Linc. Depends on Eagles scheduling."

Then I called shanningans and he said "You heard it here first"

Vikke 04-21-2011 03:52 PM

I don't care if there are 25 other teams that might deserve it more, I want to see the Flyers in it anyway.
And let's face it, a team like the Panthers, Hurricanes, Stars etc is never gonna get it.

Chicken Chaser 04-21-2011 05:32 PM

If Philly were to get it, I think the best place would be here...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6b31iK8JnR...nField_800.jpg

Historic stadium, with great views of the city and better viewing angles for all in attendance compared to a frigg'n baseball stadium, a concept I have never, and will never understand...

Don't know if its going to be in use this new year's though, and they would probably never do it just b.c its not a Pro Venue :(

Jester 04-21-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser (Post 32555212)
If Philly were to get it, I think the best place would be here...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6b31iK8JnR...nField_800.jpg

Historic stadium, with great views of the city and better viewing angles for all in attendance compared to a frigg'n baseball stadium, a concept I have never, and will never understand...

Don't know if its going to be in use this new year's though, and they would probably never do it just b.c its not a Pro Venue :(

You been in Franklin Field? It is in no way shape or form a venue to host something like the Winter Classic.

Beef Invictus 04-21-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 32555402)
You been in Franklin Field? It is in no way shape or form a venue to host something like the Winter Classic.

Absolutely agreed.

Chicken Chaser 04-21-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 32555580)
Absolutely agreed.

Not in years... that bad 'eh?

Like worse than Vet bad that still packed 70,000 into it 10 times a year?

DrinkFightFlyers 04-21-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

I was there once ten years ago and all I remember thinking was "I can't believe the Eagles used to play here." It's basically just concrete seats and some "grass" in the middle. It's a classic stadium, but not at all suited for a Winter Classic.

Beef Invictus 04-21-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser (Post 32557822)
Not in years... that bad 'eh?

Like worse than Vet bad that still packed 70,000 into it 10 times a year?

I haven't been in the Vet since I was about 5 so I don't recall it that well. I do recall there being an ice storm at the game, so that was pretty miserable haha.

One thing that immediately struck me (for whatever reason, it certainly seems minor overall) is that there is no option for box seats at Franklin Field. That alone hurts some of the potential income you can make, since I'm sure a few businesses would be happy to shell out for those. They've got the President's Suite thing, but that really doesn't count.

They also don't have beer vending facilities, but I guess that could be remedied with carts.