HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Time well spent (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=907196)

HatTrick Swayze 04-23-2011 09:55 PM

Time well spent

Today sucked. It was miserable, it was painful, it was heartbreaking.

And the fact of the matter is it's not easy being a Ranger fan. For better or worse we don't have the luxury of the "quick fix" of lottery picks and our GM loves to consistenly overpay the wrong Free Agents.

So with that in mind I wanted to create a thread so that we all could reflect on a year that IMO delivered one of the best "return on investment" 's we've seen in recent years. One year ago we had to watch guys like Jokinen, Kotalik, Higgins, and Brashear slog through game after miserable game.

This year:
  • We've gotten to watch our homegrown talent finally take the reins; make no mistake this team now belongs to #24 and #17.
  • We've gotten to watch a true blue-collar team where outworking your opponent was the rule, not the exception.
  • We've gotten to watch Derek Stepan begin his NHL career with a 20-goal season, the best rookie season for a Ranger since Petr Prucha.
  • We've gotten to watch two rookie defensemen step in seamlessly to solidify our young top-4.
  • We've gotten to watch players like Boyle and Prust make phenomenal strides in development.
  • We've gotten to watch a Vezina-caliber (..ahem) season from our MVP.
  • We've gotten to watch Marc and Dan develop into one of the top-shutdown pairs in the entire league.
Above all we've gotten to watch a Band of Brothers who actually gives a **** represent this city for 87 games. We've gotten to watch a team to be proud of.

Without further ado, queue up the video:

11/15/2010 - Rangers 3, Pittsburgh 2 (OT)

12/12/2010 - Washington 0, Rangers 7

03/06/2011 - Philadelphia 0, Rangers 7

04/04/2011 - Boston 3, Rangers 5

04/09/2011 - New Jersey 2, Rangers 5

04/14/2011 - Washington 2, Rangers 3

Swept In Seven 04-23-2011 10:00 PM

This years team has made me proud to be a Rangers fan. I can not wait until next season to see our guys develop even further

The Perfect Paradox 04-23-2011 10:05 PM

Don't forget the Canucks game!

The Canucks were on a ridiculous streak at the time and we pulled out a 1-0 win despite having some serious injuries.

This one was also one of my favorites (might not be for everyone else):

Always love a comeback victory against ****sburgh.

NHRangerfan 04-24-2011 10:27 AM

Great post...lots of good things happened this season and the sting of losing the series shouldn't take away from that...thanks for keeping it in perspective.

NYR Sting 04-24-2011 11:05 AM

If you're going to highlight certain games, you have to recall the game early in the season in Toronto, when Callahan read Phaneuf like a book and got hauled down, scoring on the ensuing penalty shot.

bleetch2c 04-24-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHRangerfan (Post 32620749)
Great post...lots of good things happened this season and the sting of losing the series shouldn't take away from that...thanks for keeping it in perspective.

Agreed, although it was a pretty disappointing and ugly end to the season, I think it was definately a step in the right direction and there are a lot of things to be excited about going into next year.

NYRangers4Life1994 04-24-2011 09:57 PM

The Dubi to Cally play in Pittsburgh was my favorite play of the year.

bleetch2c 04-24-2011 09:58 PM

Maybe its just a recency effect but I hafta go with the comeback against Boston as my favourite moment, epic.

Bleed Ranger Blue 04-24-2011 10:02 PM

Good post. Been watching the Rangers for 20+ years, and this very well may have been the hardest working team I've had the priviledge to watch.

That said, unless we want to see these same moral victory type threads year after year, its time to start adding some top end talent to this base. And it starts with Brad Richards.

Bob Richards 04-24-2011 10:07 PM

That OT win against Pittsburgh was great. What a smart pass.