HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2010-2011 Best Rookie Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=907972)

Miller Time NYR 04-25-2011 08:15 PM

2010-2011 Best Rookie Season

I was thinking about it today and I had a really hard time making up my mind. All three of these guys were key parts of this teams success this year.

Derek Stepan- bursted onto the scene with a NHL debut hatrick, his offensive output didn't stay at it's original 3gpg pace but he chipped in key goals and assists throughout the season and has showed a lot of promise. His face-offs will improve with time and age and his offensive smarts will flourish with maturation and experience. Finished the season with 82gp 21g 24a 45pts +8

Ryan McDonagh- earning his way onto this team halfway through the season and played solid the whole way through, mcdonagh played a solid two way game not chipping in a whole lot offensively but showing he can and hopefully will in the future. mcdonagh played both sound and physical defense. Finished the season with 40gp 1g 8a 9pts +16

Michael Sauer- got a well deserved spot out of camp and didnt let the organization down for it. Personally when i think of him all that comes to mind is ROCK SOLID, sauer played great defense all year. played defensivly sound and threw his big body around a fair share without putting himself out of position, and lets not forget his occasional spirited fight to stick up for his teamates, he played a pretty safe game all year but thats expected from a rookie defenseman like sauer. Finished with 76gp 3g 12a 15pts +20

disregard my above ramblings if necessary but who takes the cake Stepan, Mcdonagh, or Sauer?

** NOTE this is intended to be about who had the better rookie campaign not who will have the better nhl career**

Machinehead 04-25-2011 08:17 PM

I'm going Ryan McDonagh. I rank him #1 out of our prospects, even ahead of Kreider.

clmetsfan 04-25-2011 08:20 PM

Went with Sauer. I think Stepan will have the better career (as much as you can compare a forward to a defenseman), but Sauer was much more consistent from start to finish this year.

RangersFan 04-25-2011 08:26 PM

Voted Stepan. Sauer has been as good as they come but I give the nod to Stepan cause Sauer has been playing a pro game for a while now, Stepan made the jump from college (McD as well) and had an excellent rookie season scoring some goals for a team that can't score for ****.

Stugots 04-25-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 32662813)
I'm going Ryan McDonagh. I rank him #1 out of our prospects, even ahead of Kreider.

Agreed. We won that trade for sure.

nyr2k2 04-25-2011 08:31 PM

Sauer. Stepped in and played a full season for us, providing tremendous defense.

SupersonicMonkey* 04-25-2011 08:33 PM

Can't vote.

I believe they all had impressive rookie seasons. And were all equal in their impact at varying stages of the season.

Im psyched about our future. More of these players on the way.

Fitzy 04-25-2011 08:34 PM

Sauer.

Stepan ended with some nice numbers, but had problems with line chemistry, puck possession, and consistency. I'm predicting but not hoping for a sophomore slump from him.

McDonagh was nearly as good as Sauer, but he didn't play that way for us until the 2nd half of the season. Thus; I go Sauer.

nyr2k2 04-25-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 32663519)
Sauer.

Stepan ended with some nice numbers, but had problems with line chemistry, puck possession, and consistency. I'm predicting but not hoping for a sophomore slump from him.

McDonagh was nearly as good as Sauer, but he didn't play that way for us until the 2nd half of the season. Thus; I go Sauer.

This is pretty much exactly my logic as well.

Miller Time NYR 04-25-2011 08:39 PM

Should I have included the hobbit to pacify the norweigen fans:sarcasm:

NYR Viper 04-25-2011 08:40 PM

The fact that we are able to have a discussion and actually have 3 viable options for this poll makes me smile from ear to ear. All 3 were fantastic this season and I hope to see them continue to develop from here on.

I chose Sauer just because of how solid he was all season long. He progressively took more and more responsibility and ran with it. He and McDonagh together were a huge reason why this team was able to make its way into the playoffs.

darko 04-25-2011 09:02 PM

Going with Sauer. As impressive as McDonagh was over 40 games, Sauer was equally as impressive over entire season.