HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Top Goalies in Flyers History (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=908091)

Sawdalite 04-26-2011 01:33 AM

Top Goalies in Flyers History

Bernie Parent is enshrined in the Hockey Hall Of Fame and is arguably the greatest goalie the Flyers have ever had... by a large margin... Next best is probably either Pelle Lindbergh or Ron Hextall depending on who you ask, with Pelle being a wild card in that his promising career was cut so short due to his early death as he was reaching the onset of his prime. After those three there is a large field.

This poll is to determine the top goalies in Flyers history according to the fans here... allowing for the amount of young fans, many of whom knowing little about the goalies before their time. I suggest you refer to the following chart before selecting:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PHI/goalies.html

The chart can be sorted by clicking the top of the desired category column (example: 'W' for wins)

To get a better handle on this I have allowed multiple choices so the three top I mentioned above will not gather all he votes... Hopefully with the multiple selections we will get a fair idea of how the top ten or so shakes out. So please select as many as you'd like within the amount the poll will allow.

And please only take into the period and games played as Flyers -- example if Glenn Resch were to be on the list he should only be judged on his 22 games played in O&B and his years as a Isle should be ignored for this poll.

If you select 'Other' please note the goalie(s) in a post.

StandingCow 04-26-2011 02:36 AM

What?! No ML?! :D

But, the top 3 were easy for me, Hextall, Parent, Lindbergh, I also threw Peeters in there.

infidelappel* 04-26-2011 06:53 AM

#49 should hang in the rafters leaguewide.

CharlieGirl 04-26-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infidelappel (Post 32673809)
#49 should hang in the rafters leaguewide.

Definitely in Chicago. He earned it.

For the poll, Bernie is the undisputed king. Then Pelle and Hextall. Other than that... a few bright shining moments and a lot of not-so-shiny moments.

Juicy Couturier* 04-26-2011 07:53 AM

Edit: nevermind.

Cartsiephan* 04-26-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 32673860)
Definitely in Chicago. He earned it.

For the poll, Bernie is the undisputed king. Then Pelle and Hextall. Other than that... a few bright shining moments and a lot of not-so-shiny moments.

Disagree on the Lindbergh and Hextall. Hextall was a staple of the Flyers for years, while unfortunately Lindbergh's career was just too short. But as for the rest I agree, not really much that stands out.

Ooops, sory, I read that as you listed Pelle and then Hextall. My bad, sorry.

Mgkibbles 04-26-2011 09:23 AM

I voted for Bernie, but give some love to Cechmanek.

Three years with the Flyers, 92 wins, 43 losses, never had a goals against average above 2.05, never had a save percentage below .921% and compiled 20 shutouts. Those are pretty amazing regular season stats, too bad he was a mole faced ****. Sick unibrow though.

DMadd 04-26-2011 09:25 AM

Bernie Parent is a joke, why isnt there an option for Leighton, hes the Mother Truckin man, should have won the vezina last year.

:sarcasm:

Cmoneyflyguy 04-26-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 32675023)

Three years with the Flyers, 92 wins, 43 losses, never had a goals against average above 2.05, never had a save percentage below .921% and compiled 20 shutouts.

and zero playoff series wins

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-26-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy (Post 32675210)
and zero playoff series wins

Though he was obviously flawed, Cechmanek was the goalie when the Flyers beat Toronto in 2003.

Cartsiephan* 04-26-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 32675023)
I voted for Bernie, but give some love to Cechmanek.

Three years with the Flyers, 92 wins, 43 losses, never had a goals against average above 2.05, never had a save percentage below .921% and compiled 20 shutouts. Those are pretty amazing regular season stats, too bad he was a mole faced ****. Sick unibrow though.

Because he quit on the team when it mattered the most. He already had purchased his plane tickets out of town, he still had a great series but sometimes you cannot gauge individual effort over losing your teammates and playing as a group.

Cmoneyflyguy 04-26-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 32675292)
Though he was obviously flawed, Cechmanek was the goalie when the Flyers beat Toronto in 2003.

I stand corrected.

MiamiScreamingEagles 04-26-2011 10:46 AM

The old debate about goaltenders and stats and how numbers don't always tell the story. It's not how many they surrender but when they surrender. Case in point: Beezer in 1999. He had great numbers in the playoffs (1.46 GAA, save percentage was around 94%) and the fact that Toronto was the first team in NHL history to win a Best-of-Seven Series without scoring more than two goals in any game (0-2-2-2-2-1) was depictive of a time in history.

kicksave27 04-26-2011 11:41 AM

I'm just mad at beezer because clarke had the choice of Cujo, Ritcher, and Beezer, and went the cheap route. He was the oldest, smallest and slowest of the 3.

FlyerSithLord 04-26-2011 01:07 PM

Bernie Parent is #1 by far.

Roman Cechmanek is my favorite Flyers goalie that I got to watch play(I'm 24). I wish they wouldn't have given up on him.

dbr2 04-26-2011 01:10 PM

Parent

End thread.

However, Wayne Stephenson had an awesome mask.

Sawdalite 04-26-2011 01:15 PM

At this point four people have left Bernie off their ballot... Eleven left Hexy off and Thirteen left Pelle off... Interesting.

I'd love to hear the reasoning of the four for omitting Bernie as ONE of the Flyers top goalies. :help:

phlocky 04-26-2011 01:23 PM

I understand that many of you are pretty young and only know about Pelle's "greatness" through rumor here and what you read elsewhere but I watched him play. He had moments where he was better than any goalie in history but he also had many games where he seemed brain dead and couldn't move. Bobby Frose (frosty as he was known on the Flyers) was a very good goalie for us. He was a much more stable and consistent goalie than Pelle and IIRC he carried us pretty deep in the playoffs the year Pelle died. There was a reason that the 2 split starts.

DeadPhish5858 04-26-2011 01:24 PM

Why isn't Leighton an option? At least for the lulz

Chuck Downie 04-26-2011 01:25 PM

51 voters and only 3 for Peeters?????????????

:shakehead

phillyflu 04-26-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Puck (Post 32679609)
51 voters and only 3 for Peeters?????????????

:shakehead

He had one great season, and that was with Boston. He shouldn't even be on the list.

Sawdalite 04-26-2011 02:48 PM

With 54 voting and 152 votes cast... less than three per voter... I'm thinking that some people may have thought they only had one selection that could be made. I'm thinking that a least four cast only one vote and they were for favorites of theirs; Bernie may have lost four votes in this manner... only possible way IMO that he would not be on all ballots as ONE OF THE BEST goalies in Flyers history.

... Awaiting dimple check results yet to be announced from Dade County... Supreme Court on standby. :sarcasm:

Sawdalite 04-26-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyflu (Post 32681300)
He had one great season, and that was with Boston. He shouldn't even be on the list.

The list was compiled based on wins with the Flyers... Peeters had 85 wins over 179 games played in in six seasons with Flyers -- two stints IIRC -- He is seventh on the list based on wins.

When selecting several Flyers net-minders over their history, and so many so-so goalies on the list, IMO Peeters deserves one of the nods. He had talent and a fine rookie season... IIRC it was off ice incidents that made them move him... I believe one rumor was kinda nasty... he had talent and much potential IMO ks

Sawdalite 04-26-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 32679589)
Why isn't Leighton an option? At least for the lulz

He missed by seven spots... Leights is 21st on the list... he could jump over three goalies if he gets some starts next season on the final year of his contract... maybe even more if he gets a lot of starts. Sad isn't it? ;)

infidelappel* 04-26-2011 03:10 PM

I only voted for my top 3 (Bernie, Pelle, and Hextall).

I appreciate many more on this list (Peeters included), but after those 3 there are few really great goalies on the list...and I would argue that Hextall isn't even that much of a great goalie outside of the fact that he was entertaining and typified Flyers passion and ass-whoopings, and played the puck like a boss.