HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why do the habs have an optional practice today? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=908154)

The Price is Right 04-26-2011 10:21 AM

Why do the habs have an optional practice today?

Look who took the skate

75-76-22-6-68-35-81-32-52-57-94 et/and 53

The only Veterans who took it is Hal Gill, Darche and Moen and kind of Mara. The rest are all the rooks.

What about the other Vets like Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Spacek, Hamrlik they should be skating also this morning not staying home when you have such a important game.

I don't get why its optional it should be obligatory.

Bill McNeal 04-26-2011 10:23 AM

Because most of the vets have either been here before or are so beat up the extra rest would do them more good than an optional practice.

hsing 04-26-2011 10:28 AM

Because pro athletes tend to know better than most of us what is better for them and for the performance.

BLONG7 04-26-2011 10:30 AM

Wasn't there a full team practice yesterday? Gameday skate, no big deal...besides they will need the energy heading back to Boston for game 7...;)

ChemiseBleuHonnete 04-26-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Price is Right (Post 32675849)
Look who took the skate

The only Veterans who took it is Hal Gill, Darche and Moen and kind of Mara. The rest are all the rooks.

What about the other Vets like Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, Spacek, Hamrlik they should be skating also this morning not staying home when you have such a important game.

What the hell do you know about recovery and athletic performance?

Watsatheo 04-26-2011 10:33 AM

Obviously they don't want to be tired for game 7.

swimmer77 04-26-2011 10:36 AM

Some could use the rest. Some are beat up. Some are both and WILL be playing back to back games.

FrankMTL 04-26-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 32676054)
Obviously they don't want to be tired for game 7.

I agree! They know they'll have a back to back with games today and tomorrow ;) They want to save some of that energy! :)

overlords 04-26-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Look who took the skate

Spacek is #6 fyi.

Habs 4 Life 04-26-2011 12:37 PM

Very rare that during the playoffs teams have a full practice, at this point of the year practice shouldn't be needed. Rest could do better

Monctonscout 04-26-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Look who took the skate

Hmm, maybe because they had a double OT game and they want to rest up...:shakehead

holyhabs87 04-26-2011 12:41 PM

Practice?

Practice?

We talking about practice?

Not even a real practice, but an optional practice?

LyleOdelein 04-26-2011 12:44 PM

I would assume that some players are banged up and some didn't need to expend more energy considering that if the Habs win tonight, they're off to Boston.

Any key tactical changes would have been addressed in a video session. All other strategy would be gone over as a group. I don't really see how a mandatory practice on a game day would affect the team positively.

haburger 04-26-2011 12:48 PM

sedins ,kes,an most of the canucks were on the ice an hour ago.but the nux have a much bigger game to play than the habs.if the habs were on the verge of the biggest collapse in nhl history,,they d have everyone on the ice too.

Gary320 04-26-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haburger (Post 32678858)
sedins ,kes,an most of the canucks were on the ice an hour ago.but the nux have a much bigger game to play than the habs.if the habs were on the verge of the biggest collapse in nhl history,,they d have everyone on the ice too.

Canucks dont play tomorrow.

Again, if today was Game 7. I'm sure we'd have a full practice.

Habs 4 Life 04-26-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haburger (Post 32678858)

Last team practice in Vancouver, they know and all got together for a last time;)

ccgg 04-26-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Look who took the skate

Because the 1/3 of the lineup is injured, 1/3 lack energy and the rest is injured and lack energy.

timbitca 04-26-2011 01:52 PM

Yes, let's have a bag skate the day of the biggest game of the year and the day after a 2-OT game, great plan. Sounds like a sure fire way to have the Bruins cruise to an easy victory. All the players you listed weren't 'staying home' like you said, I'm willing to bet they had a team meeting in the morning, some decided to lace them up, some probably did stationary bike/treadmill for a while and others probably juste milled around the lounge area chit chatting for a while before heading back home for a nap/pregame meal.

And I'm willing to bet that of those who did skate this morning only Auld and those who aren't playing tonight broke anything of a sweat. Gameday skates are always optional and usually consist of guys shooting pucks around and playing shooting games with each other and whatnot.

If I've learned one thing in 20+ years of hockey it's that hockey players are a damned supersitious bunch (this includes myself) and you do not upset their game day routine. Heck, I haven't played for close to 10 years and I still have a game day routine starting at wake up and going right up to game time when the team I work for plays, and it drives me absolutely nuts when it goes wrong.

Crimson Skorpion 04-26-2011 01:58 PM

Don't want to tire them out for nothing. Vets can use the extra time to rest and heal any minor wounds.

haburger 04-26-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbitca (Post 32680179)
Yes, let's have a bag skate the day of the biggest game of the year and the day after a 2-OT game, great plan. Sounds like a sure fire way to have the Bruins cruise to an easy victory. All the players you listed weren't 'staying home' like you said, I'm willing to bet they had a team meeting in the morning, some decided to lace them up, some probably did stationary bike/treadmill for a while and others probably juste milled around the lounge area chit chatting for a while before heading back home for a nap/pregame meal.

And I'm willing to bet that of those who did skate this morning only Auld and those who aren't playing tonight broke anything of a sweat. Gameday skates are always optional and usually consist of guys shooting pucks around and playing shooting games with each other and whatnot.

If I've learned one thing in 20+ years of hockey it's that hockey players are a damned supersitious bunch (this includes myself) and you do not upset their game day routine. Heck, I haven't played for close to 10 years and I still have a game day routine starting at wake up and going right up to game time when the team I work for plays, and it drives me absolutely nuts when it goes wrong.

who said anything about a bag skate?

haburger 04-26-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 32678940)
Last team practice in Vancouver, they know and all got together for a last time;)

u wouldnt believe the tension out here in vancouver today.i ve never seen anything like it.sum of my friends havent left they re bedrooms in days!lol.

Chris Pronger 04-26-2011 02:11 PM

are you an expert?

habsfan35 04-26-2011 02:33 PM

Optional?

While it's strange for them to have an optional skate, the sentiment is that the Habs will be going to game 7. I read that Martin is optimistic about going back to Boston and wanted to give the players a little break.

Of course the Broon's wanna finish it here, so they had a full team skate today, they have no intentions of going back.

haburger 04-26-2011 02:35 PM

bolland and keith not on the ice this morning either.

Et le But 04-26-2011 02:51 PM

Personally I think the more rest Hamrlik gets before tonight the better.