HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Al Montoya (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=90856)

The Hrkac Circus 07-13-2004 12:05 AM

Al Montoya

Hey Rangers Fans,

I am a die hard Michigan Wolverines fan and I was curious to know if there were any current developments on whether he was leaving school or not. Any comments will be appreciated.

In my very biased opinion I think he should stay because he has a legit chance of winning a national championship and it doesnt hurt for a young goalie like him to gain postseason experience. Plus will it be tough for Al to see time behind Labarbara, Blackburn and Lundquist?

BobMarleyNYR 07-13-2004 12:11 AM

You have good NYR knnowledge... no word on his decision yet. But it looks like he'll stay in school next year, which I'd like.

xander 07-13-2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hrkac Circus
Hey Rangers Fans,

I am a die hard Michigan Wolverines fan and I was curious to know if there were any current developments on whether he was leaving school or not. Any comments will be appreciated.

In my very biased opinion I think he should stay because he has a legit chance of winning a national championship and it doesnt hurt for a young goalie like him to gain postseason experience. Plus will it be tough for Al to see time behind Labarbara, Blackburn and Lundquist?

the word is that sather wants to sign montoya to play in hartford, but is lowballing him. As for playing time, if he is signed I expect tha labarbara will be traded. blackburn won't be back untill december and lundquvist is staying in sweden, so playing time in hartford, atleast at first, wouldn't be a huge issue. Despite this, I would prefer that he stay another year in michigan. There is no reason to rush him, and i think it would be prudent to be careful with him, especially considering that Blackburn is going to need to play whenever he does return.

NYR469 07-13-2004 12:36 AM

word is that montoya will make a decision this week but still nothing official...

as far as him not getting playing time behind labarbera, blackburn and lundqvist...

first, lundqvist is staying in sweden and blackburn might not be back till december due to his shoulder injury...so that clears up that logjam a bit...

that said, there is no way the rangers are going to sign montoya so he can sit. he needs to play whether it is at michigan or hartford...and the reason i've heard they want him to make the jump is because he could play MORE in hartford...so if he gets signed i think you can count on him playing atleast 1/2 of hartford's games

Ocelot 07-13-2004 12:54 AM

I hope he will stay in school. He is great and everything but I don't think he's ready for the big time yet.

NYR2 07-13-2004 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hrkac Circus
In my very biased opinion I think he should stay because he has a legit chance of winning a national championship and it doesnt hurt for a young goalie like him to gain postseason experience.

Exactly one of the reasons why I really hope he stays in school.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-13-2004 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR2
Exactly one of the reasons why I really hope he stays in school.

Why wouldn't Montoya get postseason experience in Hartford? Then again, Hartford will be playing at the Garden, so maybe they'll suck next season.

ftyutin51 07-13-2004 02:46 AM

I think Montoya SHOULD stay in college.. Staying there and WINNING will only help him have more confidence, improvments, and just knowing the fact that he's helping his team to a National Championship, that will only develope him into a more "stronger" and mature goaltender, IMO. If the Rangers' weren't so stacked on goaltenders, then I think Montoya should go to Hartford. He gets a chance to see what the big games are like and learn to play with his teamates to be in the NHL (if they make it.. hopefully..) Also, hes getting the feeling that this is only the beginning of my journey to be a great goalie someday and then, he will truly work his way up to the pro's, then to the HHOF. :D

NYR2 07-13-2004 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Why wouldn't Montoya get postseason experience in Hartford? Then again, Hartford will be playing at the Garden, so maybe they'll suck next season.

I wasn't even thinking about him getting playoff experience in Hartford, that slipped my mind, but I just think he'd benefit from having another year in college. And with his team having a good chance at winning a national title I think that's something special to be a part of, and if I was him I'd definitely want to have that.

And like you said, most of the team in Hartford could be playing in the Garden next season so the Pack may not be as good as they were this past season, and that could be another reason to stay in school with a team you know that's set for the up coming year and should be pretty good.

I mean, why not stay in school one more year and go for the national title, then join Hartford the next year and go for the Calder Cup, and then move up to the Rangers? I think it's a good way for him to develop. Let him take his time at each level, don't rush him. Let him experience winning on each level, maybe it will better prepare him for what's to come when he gets to the NHL?

Edge 07-13-2004 04:25 AM

Personally I think he should stay one more season at University. However the rumblings are that he really wants to try the pro game. It's not so much that he doesn't love college so much as he wants a new challange which is understandable.

DarthSather99 07-13-2004 10:10 AM

I think the majority of Ranger fans want him to stay in school at least one more year. We have seen what happened to Blackburn and Malhotra. Keep him away from Sather for one more year.

I heard a week ago that he'd be making a decision in a week. It should be soon. Sather wants him in Hartford but is not giving him a blank check to fill in. Hopefully his Mom will prevail, sending him back to Michigan for one more year.

dedalus 07-13-2004 11:31 AM

I assume Michigan actually has a full time goalie coach. That puts them ahead of this laughably inept organization, and it's just one more reason the kid should stay at school.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-13-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
I assume Michigan actually has a full time goalie coach. That puts them ahead of this laughably inept organization, and it's just one more reason the kid should stay at school.

That, plus the fact that college plays significantly less games than the AHL. There's more time for meaningful practices--ones that go beyond working on mistakes from past games. That's probably one reason why players coming out of college and the European leagues are more ready to make the jump into the NHL.

GentlemanOfLeisure 07-13-2004 03:21 PM

If there isn't a lockout. I really hope the Rangers don't rush Aldo Montoya, somehow I think Rushing Dan Blackburn hurt his career some. Very few goalies can play at 18/19/20 years old in the NHL. The only guy I could think of is Tom Barrasso.

NYRGoalieGlut* 07-13-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
If there isn't a lockout. I really hope the Rangers don't rush Aldo Montoya, somehow I think Rushing Dan Blackburn hurt his career some. Very few goalies can play at 18/19/20 years old in the NHL. The only guy I could think of is Tom Barrasso.

It's not a matter of playing in the NHL or college, but the AHL or college.

Funkymoses 07-13-2004 06:25 PM

FWIW...

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.a...007818&style=1

Michael Spath, who works for the Wolverine, has a source saying he's 90% staying. These guys are generally very reliable.

DarthSather99 07-13-2004 06:36 PM

EXCELLENT!!! Keep him AWAY from Sather for one more year.

The Hrkac Circus 07-13-2004 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I also saw that post on the Michigan board. It seems like the majority of responses agree that Al would be better fit in Michigan or one more year.

I have watched Al very closely the last 2 years and I think you will be very pleased with him. What I love about him the most is the fact that he always plays well in big games. He was incredible against BC and was the only reason we were in that game. I have also seen him on campus and he is a very cool and nice guy. Also his puckhandling is outstanding and he always makes risky plays that made us Michigan fans hearts beat but never made mistakes. I think you guys have a great player regardless of your large number of quality goalies.

NYR469 07-13-2004 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkymoses
FWIW...

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.a...007818&style=1

Michael Spath, who works for the Wolverine, has a source saying he's 90% staying. These guys are generally very reliable.

thanks for the info

moglesby 07-14-2004 09:30 PM

He can't play in the AHL anyway, unless they have made an exception to the rule b/c of the CBA stuff. I'm pretty sure you have to be 20 to play in the AHL. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If he can't play in the AHL Sather shouldn't think twice about letting him have one more year in college.

NYR469 07-14-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moglesby
He can't play in the AHL anyway, unless they have made an exception to the rule b/c of the CBA stuff. I'm pretty sure you have to be 20 to play in the AHL. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If he can't play in the AHL Sather shouldn't think twice about letting him have one more year in college.

that rule ONLY applies to kids leaving a CHL team...ncaa players can play in hartford at anytime...

if he left school for hartford it would be the same path that dipetrio took after being drafted

NYR469 07-14-2004 09:56 PM

http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/07/14_008603.php

moglesby 07-15-2004 10:42 PM

Thanks for correcting me!!!