HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   TSN: Gillis & Canucks both Fined by the NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=908847)

Winroba 04-27-2011 03:37 PM

Gillis & Canucks both Fined by the NHL
 
Mike Gillis and the Canucks fined for his rant on officiating prior to game 7. Undisclosed amount, but significant.

From Dreger on Twitter

timw33 04-27-2011 03:38 PM

Worth every penny IMO.

Bobby Lou 04-27-2011 03:38 PM

Hrm odd...I could have sworn there was a release saying the NHL wasn't going to do anything. Whatever, suck it league you pansy *******s.

PRNuck 04-27-2011 03:39 PM

I'm not sure "rant" means what Dreger thinks it means.

luongoisdaman 04-27-2011 03:40 PM

Meh. Aquilini may even reimburse MG with 13 sold tickets (13 x 200 = 2600), 'cause the max fine is $2,500, no?

Chump change for all, and worth every milli-penny.

Type Not Specified 04-27-2011 03:41 PM

Fined for stating relevant facts... interesting.

I'm sure he knew he'd get fined when he decided to make those comments though. He doesn't just do or say things on a whim.

Vanier Park 04-27-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongoisdaman (Post 32719843)
Meh. Aquilini may even reimburse MG with 13 sold tickets (13 x 200 = 2600), 'cause the max fine is $2,500, no?

Chump change for all, and worth every milli-penny.

Burke was fined $30,000 in 2002 for his rant in the Detroit series. The maximum for players is $2,500.

However, worth every penny. I start a collection if need be

xtr3m 04-27-2011 03:43 PM

Aww, NHL is not liking yesterday's outcome.

topheavyhookjaw 04-27-2011 03:44 PM

Match in in a donation to Canuck place. Then leak the amount to the press. Keep the middle finger up to the league.

Mr. Canucklehead 04-27-2011 03:44 PM

Hell, I'll do some fundraising for him. Wonder why the delay in announcing punishment, especially after all the talking heads seemed to agree that no punishment was forthcoming yesterday? Maybe the Hawks brass complained?

Dirkph 04-27-2011 03:46 PM

Although I didn't fully support the act itself (I do now!), I don't see how he could be fined.

As previously stated, he was only stating facts. So what? It's not like he said, "I think the officiating is terrible." He stated facts and asked, "How do you explain [this phenomena]?" Big deal. Gillis, being the super-star lawyer he is, chose his words very carefully when addressing the media.

It's just like saying, "We won the game because we scored two goals and they scored one." I didn't know the NHL was a dictatorship... oh wait a minute, I actually did.

Lucbourdon 04-27-2011 03:47 PM

Worth it, and expected

Kid_Roll 04-27-2011 03:48 PM

http://imflashy.com/wp-content/uploa...rce-cover2.jpg

Tiranis 04-27-2011 03:51 PM

Kind of funny that this only happens after the outcome of the series is decided. They didn't have time to get around to it yesterday... ? ;)

vadim sharifijanov 04-27-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3m (Post 32719926)
Aww, NHL is not liking yesterday's outcome.

because of last night, AV still has a job while two refs and two linesmen don't...

but it's still not too late to suspend gionta for no good reason...

Tim Calhoun 04-27-2011 03:53 PM

Wasn't Dean Lombardi fined an outrageous amount for his comments a few months back?

SomeoneGreat 04-27-2011 03:53 PM

Didn't Gillis phone Campbell before he talked to the press? I remember hearing this in one of the GDTs.

Danrik 04-27-2011 03:57 PM

Who cares?!? Good job Mike.

canuck4life16 04-27-2011 04:02 PM

but but but......

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
The NHL will not fine Canucks GM Mike Gillis for his officiating comments, FYI

Barney Gumble 04-27-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun (Post 32720168)
Wasn't Dean Lombardi fined an outrageous amount for his comments a few months back?

Think that was in regards to Mike Murphy? And I believe he was *FAR LESS* subtle in his criticsm than Gillis.

luongoisdaman 04-27-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanier Park (Post 32719885)
Burke was fined $30,000 in 2002 for his rant in the Detroit series. The maximum for players is $2,500.

However, worth every penny. I start a collection if need be

Fine, 150 tickets...:)

lush 04-27-2011 04:05 PM

I don't know where I heard/read it or whether I even heard/read correctly, but I was pretty sure that Gillis phoned the league and basically told them what he was going to do. I wonder if they would have added insult to injury if the Canucks had lost last night and still fined him.

I think it's funny because as a lawyer, Gillis is really good with his words compared to other GM's. He used objective statistics to make his point, I don't even know if there was any opinion in his statements other than him saying that they couldn't win if it kept up that way. Doesn't really matter though I guess, it's not like the league will analyze semantics, it's the principle from their perspective I'm sure. I don't know what their principles are of course, but that's what I'm guessing.

Oh well, water under the bridge

Canucker 04-27-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lush (Post 32720455)
I don't know where I heard/read it or whether I even heard/read correctly, but I was pretty sure that Gillis phoned the league and basically told them what he was going to do. I wonder if they would have added insult to injury if the Canucks had lost last night and still fined him.

I think it's funny because as a lawyer, Gillis is really good with his words compared to other GM's. He used objective statistics to make his point, I don't even know if there was any opinion in his statements other than him saying that they couldn't win if it kept up that way. Doesn't really matter though I guess, it's not like the league will analyze semantics, it's the principle from their perspective I'm sure. I don't know what their principles are of course, but that's what I'm guessing.

Oh well, water under the bridge

I don't think he did anything to deserve the fine but I think we all expected it. It's the price of doing business in the NHL. There is no such thing as "Freedom of Speech" or "Freedom of expression" in the NHL without some financial backlash.

Warren Piece 04-27-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirkph (Post 32719995)
Although I didn't fully support the act itself (I do now!), I don't see how he could be fined.

As previously stated, he was only stating facts. So what? It's not like he said, "I think the officiating is terrible." He stated facts and asked, "How do you explain [this phenomena]?" Big deal. Gillis, being the super-star lawyer he is, chose his words very carefully when addressing the media.

It's just like saying, "We won the game because we scored two goals and they scored one." I didn't know the NHL was a dictatorship... oh wait a minute, I actually did.

Gillis agrees.

Quote:

"I stated facts," Gillis told The Dreger Report. "How can I get fined for stating facts?"
-FarhanLaljiTSN

jigsaw99 04-27-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck4life16 (Post 32720378)
but but but......

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
The NHL will not fine Canucks GM Mike Gillis for his officiating comments, FYI

I guess they changed their mind after we knocked out their Blackhawks in game 7.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.