HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   League News: 2011 Playoffs Part II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=909028)

mrwarden 04-27-2011 09:44 PM

2011 Playoffs Part II

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=903308

Chimaera 04-27-2011 09:45 PM

I'm not a fan of playing against Roloson. A goalie who always gives us fits.

I'm not afraid of their club, but I do think they're not a team I would have preferred.

WcRoenick97 04-27-2011 09:46 PM

I like the match up alot actually. If we're as good as we think we are, they should warm us up for a series against the Flyers (realistically) with the firepower they have.

tycoonheart 04-27-2011 09:47 PM

DOnt care, we should beat them if Pitt was dominating plays against them. Our D and Neuvy will get tested more. No excuses. We are a more balanced team we should win.

RandyHolt 04-27-2011 09:48 PM

Gotta give credit to Yzerman. Rollo came in on the over with 4 wins.

Time to fire up the rollodozer.

Capitlols 04-27-2011 09:50 PM

Tampa did wheel off 3 consecutive wins, so they'll be riding momentum. That being said, there's no excuse why we shouldn't win.

sycamore 04-27-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 (Post 32734997)
I like the match up alot actually. If we're as good as we think we are, they should warm us up for a series against the Flyers (realistically) with the firepower they have.

Exactly. In the meantime the Flyers are in for bar-room brawl with the Bruins. We pretty much got the ideal result tonight.

Blades of steel 04-27-2011 09:50 PM

I seriously would of picked Tampa over Rangers in round 1 if I had been given the choice.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 04-27-2011 09:56 PM

Run Rollie, shadow Stamkos at the circles on the PP and finish it in 5.

BrooklynCapsFan 04-27-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 32735574)
Run Rollie, shadow Stamkos at the circles on the PP and finish it in 5.

I'm inclined to give St. Louis a dedicated shadow, but that's not really Boudreau's game. I'd love to see Nicky take a stab at it actually.

Funkyalligator 04-27-2011 10:00 PM

Indeed...running rollo is the way to go. I have a feeling that fehr will have some big games and when knuble comes back him too.

CapitalsCupFantasy 04-27-2011 10:01 PM

What the hell is Roenick on tonight?

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you.....

Knocking on his wood....

What the hell is this guy rambling on about....just horrible.

Atlas 04-27-2011 10:07 PM

I am always so happy when the Pens lose.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Cascading waterfalls. Oblique sun rays.

TB will give us all we want. Lots of O. Stamkos is rediscovering his game (ugh). Rolo might heat up even more. Downie will either a Cap or himself out of the series w/ his numbskull ways.

This gives Mike Green, who was heating up against the Rags, a great chance to show Steve Yzerman what he can do.

Fuel up that Rolodozer! LOL RH

WetHog 04-29-2011 08:30 AM

I just read that the possibility of the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg is going up the longer the Coyote situation isn't resolved. So wtf happens if the Thrashers do move to Winnipeg to play next season? Does that mean the Caps, and the rest of the SE division, are forced to fly across the continent to play SE division games? With Nashville and Columbus in the Western Conference it seems reasonable to move one of them to the SE (Nashville makes the most sense based on geography IMO), if the Thrashers move, but is there time to pull that off?

brs03 04-29-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetHog (Post 32765701)
I just read that the possibility of the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg is going up the longer the Coyote situation isn't resolved. So wtf happens if the Thrashers do move to Winnipeg to play next season? Does that mean the Caps, and the rest of the SE division, are forced to fly across the continent to play SE division games? With Nashville and Columbus in the Western Conference it seems reasonable to move one of them to the SE (Nashville makes the most sense based on geography IMO), if the Thrashers move, but is there time to pull that off?

Any decision on relocation must be made before the schedule is set up, so there's no reason they wouldn't bundle realignment into the issue as well.

strungout 04-29-2011 08:45 AM

Anyone see Blaska just beast one of the Predators in the final minute last night? Just kinda picked him up and slammed him in front of Luongo. Hard. I love playoff hockey.

txpd 04-29-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 32735707)
I'm inclined to give St. Louis a dedicated shadow, but that's not really Boudreau's game. I'd love to see Nicky take a stab at it actually.

i am not sure what boudreau's game is nowdays. stamkos scored exactly 0 goals on the capitals this season. strikes me that he was the first to employ the Ov defense on Stamkos.

brs03 04-29-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 32765866)
i am not sure what boudreau's game is nowdays. stamkos scored exactly 0 goals on the capitals this season. strikes me that he was the first to employ the Ov defense on Stamkos.

That was Carlznerson, though, not a forward shadowing him. Wasn't it?

txpd 04-29-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetHog (Post 32765701)

Detroit will get bumped to the east. The SE division will then get a name change with a more northern team dropped into it. Think....Penguins.

txpd 04-29-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 32765893)
That was Carlznerson, though, not a forward shadowing him. Wasn't it?

The Ov defense is not shadowing. Its surrounding. Its taking away his one timer on the power play, which is sort of a shadow. Montreal's stop Ov game plan was a 5 man plan or a 4 man plan depending on even strenth or pp.

You could watch Stamkos in the second have of the season getting the same treatment as Ov. They dont let him take the puck from the LW to the center for a shooting angle and they take away his one timer. It has worked even better on Stammer than on Ov.

brs03 04-29-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 32765950)
The Ov defense is not shadowing. Its surrounding. Its taking away his one timer on the power play, which is sort of a shadow. Montreal's stop Ov game plan was a 5 man plan or a 4 man plan depending on even strenth or pp.

You could watch Stamkos in the second have of the season getting the same treatment as Ov. They dont let him take the puck from the LW to the center for a shooting angle and they take away his one timer. It has worked even better on Stammer than on Ov.

That's true. Although the issue now probably isn't Stamkos, but rather St. Louis. I'm afraid I don't know how his production fared 1st half vs. 2nd half, though I know he was pretty money in the 1st round.

Drake1588 04-29-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 32765913)
Detroit will get bumped to the east. The SE division will then get a name change with a more northern team dropped into it. Think....Penguins.

There is a myth, since debunked, that the Red Wings have an agreement to be the first western team to move East should there be an opening as a result of relocation/expansion. DRW officials have confirmed that no such agreement exists. The reality is that the NHL hasn't made those calls yet. It could be Detroit... but that's firmly a TBD issue.

In general terms for an Eastern team relocating west, Columbus makes the most sense in terms strictly of longitude, being the team in the Western Conference that is furthest East; while the Predators might make the most sense in terms of regional geography should a team in the SE Division move west.

Detroit makes sense by no measurement whatsoever except possible pull as an Original Six team. It isn't the team furthest East, it isn't geographically the team that makes the most sense either.

What is going to be tricky is realigning divisions in the West. Add Winnipeg without it coming from one of the Western teams, and you end up with three teams in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota, Winnipeg and Colorado. Ideally, you would want Winnipeg and Minnesota in the same division, but you can't do that unless you have a six-team NW Division, since Winnipeg will certainly be in the Canadian division. That creates a conundrum regarding the other two.

There is no realignment scenario that will see Winnipeg in any division other than the one with the three Western Canadian clubs.

I suspect Winnipeg will accept the longer travel to be in the nearly all Canadian division over the need to be in a division with nearby Minnesota. Now, you could move Colorado, but Colorado is too far west to be in the Central Division and there are too many teams to put it in the Pacific.

I'd probably send Nashville East into the Thrashers' spot, keeping the other two divisions intact.
Then have Minnesota take Nashville's place in the Central Division.
Then have Winnipeg take Minnesota's place in the NW Division.

Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Vancouver
Detroit, Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota
Dallas, Phoenix(!), Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose

Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa
NYR, NYI, NJ, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
Washington, Carolina, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida

txpd 04-29-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 32766009)
That's true. Although the issue now probably isn't Stamkos, but rather St. Louis. I'm afraid I don't know how his production fared 1st half vs. 2nd half, though I know he was pretty money in the 1st round.

you can't surround them both. thats for sure.

WetHog 04-29-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 32766070)
I'd probably send Nashville East into the Thrashers' spot, keeping the other two divisions intact.
Then have Minnesota take Nashville's place in the Central Division.
Then have Winnipeg take Minnesota's place in the NW Division.

Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Vancouver
Detroit, Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota
Dallas, Phoenix(!), Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose

Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa
NYR, NYI, NJ, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
Washington, Carolina, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida

To me, moving Nashville to the SE, and moving the Wild into Nashville's old spot is the only scenario that makes sense if the Thrashers indeed are the team that goes to Winnipeg. Any other scenario would be entirely to complicated for the NHL as a whole.

Dream scenario for me though would be the Coyotes going back to Winnipeg, Thrashers goint to Quebec, and Pittsburg getting moved into a division with the Caps. Unlikely, but I did say "Dream Scenario". ;)

Capitlols 04-29-2011 11:18 PM

Damn Pavelski's been all over the ice.