HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Would the Kings want Ahonen? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=90932)

Missionhockey 07-13-2004 12:05 PM

Would the Kings want Ahonen?

I glanced at the Kings prospects page and I noticed that they are pretty weak in the goaltending department. What would you give the Devils for Ari Ahonen? He is pretty NHL ready.

Frolov 07-13-2004 12:17 PM

I would have loved him in LA but with Garon here now Ahonen would be stuck in the minors unless Checkmanek was traded and I doubt that happens.

We probably couldn't offer anything you would want.

Old Hickory 07-13-2004 01:42 PM

You are a few months late. Like Frolov said, we have Garon not to mention the addition of Brust.

KingPurpleDinosaur 07-13-2004 01:44 PM

wat would you want? cechmanek is finished after this year, unless we resign him, and probably will have a backup position open. with no goalie prospects in the forseeable future, who are ready to take this position, I wouldn't mind picking one up through trade.

Matt13 07-13-2004 01:50 PM

We drafted 2 new goalies in the draft. Both are projected to be good.

We have Ryan Munce, Matt Zaba, and Barry Brust as well.

We need a top forward more than another goalie.

Frolov 07-13-2004 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
We drafted 2 new goalies in the draft. Both are projected to be good.

We have Ryan Munce, Matt Zaba, and Barry Brust as well.

We need a top forward more than another goalie.

None of those goalies are projected to be NHL starters. They would be lucky if they made it to the NHL in the next 5 years.

Ahonen is an elite prospect and one in which we don't have in our system.

But once again unless the Devils were in love with Belanger Lehoux and such, there realy isn't much to talk about.

David A. Rainer 07-13-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
Both are projected to be good.

Boy is that vague. ;)

I would be ecstatic if they (the two drafted in 2004) became NHL backups.

I'm not holding my breath on Munce and Zaba either. Might be pretty good, but I don't see NHL starters in them.

But I agree with what has already been said - with Cechmanek and Garon filling the NHL roster spots and newly signed Brust in Manchester, I don't see a spot for Ahonen (as much as I would love to get him). If the Kings could move Cechmanek, then I would revisit a proposal for Ahonen.

Matt13 07-13-2004 02:58 PM

I watched Zaba play yesterday, he will could be a back up goalie.

Watching Barry Burst yesterday, you can see that he can dominate the net ala Sean Burke. With his size he covers post to post very well.

These are all young goalies who will develope. It is hard to project that a certain goalie in the system may or may not develope.

Just because a goalie is supose to be a starter doesnt mean anything......Jamie Storr.

I believe Garon is the future of this team and needing to trade for Ari is useless unless we can rob the Devils.

Capn Brown 07-13-2004 04:11 PM

Personally, I'd much rather grab one of the Cap's goalie prospects (preferably Daignaeult) as they have FOUR very good ones in their system while the Devils ONLY have Ahonen. From the standpoint of economics, it would be logical to assume the Caps would want a bit less for one of their goalies than the Devils would for Ahonen. It's not that Ahonen's any better than the Cap's prospects, but that the Caps can afford to lose one without it hurting them tremendously. It's akin to the King's current situation at the RW position. In fact, I'd gladly swap one of our 5 top RWs for one of the Cap's 4 top Gs.

Anhksanamen 07-13-2004 06:53 PM

Lamourillo is not just going to give away Ahonen. He would require a stiff price for Brodeurs heir apparent - a price too stiff for the Kings to pay for a #3 goalkeeper.

KINGLEWOOD 07-13-2004 08:35 PM

I would love to have him, he could take the #1 job in Manchester and in a year Roman will be gone (hopefully), so idealy he could back up Garon and eventually become a starter.

If he were available I would really look into it, we should all know by now that we can never have enough good prospects in any position. There are lots of teams with good depth in goal who will eventually make some trades such as; Pittsburg, Washington, Buffalo, Rangers, and Chicago.

Missionhockey 07-14-2004 12:48 AM

Oh...if thats the case then your not willing to give up much for him. I was hoping for somebody like Jeff Tambellini.