HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Bruins Model (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910606)

JanErixon20 05-03-2011 09:16 AM

The Bruins Model

In watched the Bruins the past couple of seasons, I starting thinking that this is a model that the Rangers could follow. As Tortorella said, they are never going to be able to build like the Caps or Pens did with top 10 picks for a few seasons in a row.

The Bruins are built from the back of the ice. Solid goaltending. Their best player leads a strong defense. And a group of forwards that are good, but not great. Their top line is Lucic Krejci and Horton. The rest of the forward group is filled by guys like Bergeron and Mark Recchi, Michael Ryder, etc.

I think the Rangers can become what the Bruins are. A solid 100 point team that has the potential to challenge for the Cup. They have the goaltender and a strong, young defense. Their forwards are good, hard working guys with some skills, who are also young and hopefully getting better.

I think it's a good model to follow, just without the whole choking up in tight spots in the playoffs.

Punxrocknyc19* 05-03-2011 09:31 AM

Well the only thing I don't like is that Seguin is a scratch. Why keep a player around if he isn't gonna play. And they put in shawn thornton...

Stugots 05-03-2011 09:33 AM

I think we certainly have the defense to do it, but they have a couple of pretty good centers in Bergeron and Krecji.

JanErixon20 05-03-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 32839195)
I think we certainly have the defense to do it, but they have a couple of pretty good centers in Bergeron and Krecji.

Bergeron had 57 points this past season. Krecji led the team with 62. The hope here is that Anisimov and perhaps Stepan can become similar point producers. And who knows with Richards.

JanErixon20 05-03-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 32839184)
Well the only thing I don't like is that Seguin is a scratch. Why keep a player around if he isn't gonna play. And they put in shawn thornton...

It's the playoffs, coaches go with veterans they trust. It's not like Seguin had a killer season. He had 22 points and was a -4. Thornton had 20 points and was a +8.

Leetch3 05-03-2011 09:57 AM

i have to agree...not that their model is perfect but i see our future as being alot more like them than pittsburgh or washington

Stugots 05-03-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanErixon20 (Post 32839261)
Bergeron had 57 points this past season. Krecji led the team with 62. The hope here is that Anisimov and perhaps Stepan can become similar point producers. And who knows with Richards.

Exactly what I was thinking.

NHRangerfan 05-03-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 32839184)

Thats more about Claude Julien

BlueshirtBlitz 05-03-2011 10:10 AM

I think we are already a team in the Bruins model. The difference is that their guys are able to finish while ours aren't -- Horton has been a killer in the playoffs when it comes to clutch, timely goals.

Another year and Brad Richards and I think we'll be on the same level if not better.

ChipAyten 05-03-2011 10:21 AM

Frankly I'm sick and tired of being a hard working grind it out team full of 3rd liners. I'd rather have a real top line full of lazy snipers. Dumping the puck in and forecheking all game does nothing for you if you don't have the skating and stick skills to work it into the slot and score. The Bruins only got to where they are because TT stood on his head for the entire season. We if anything need to follow the Red Wings model. But that of course requires an owner who genuinely cares about his team.

We have a premiere goalie and top defensive line. Gaborik is a glass statue and is too unreliable. What we need is a true center, we've been trying to work around having one for years not and it's not working. No NHL (or NBA team for that matter) has won a championship in recent memory without a true legitimate front line center, who can above all else score.

beastly115 05-03-2011 10:33 AM

Oh god I hope we're not following the Bruins model. I rather drown in a pool of acid than watch a boring team like that all season.

94now 05-03-2011 10:45 AM

Better coach. Better goalie. Better forwards. Not much else. Yeah, we can do thier model... As if it is important...

KreiMeARiver* 05-03-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipAyten (Post 32839664)
Frankly I'm sick and tired of being a hard working grind it out team full of 3rd liners. I'd rather have a real top line full of lazy snipers. Dumping the puck in and forecheking all game does nothing for you if you don't have the skating and stick skills to work it into the slot and score. The Bruins only got to where they are because TT stood on his head for the entire season. We if anything need to follow the Red Wings model. But that of course requires an owner who genuinely cares about his team.

We have a premiere goalie and top defensive line. Gaborik is a glass statue and is too unreliable. What we need is a true center, we've been trying to work around having one for years not and it's not working. No NHL (or NBA team for that matter) has won a championship in recent memory without a true legitimate front line center, who can above all else score.

neither extreme will get you anywhere...

TrollololBoyle 05-03-2011 11:27 AM

We are already a similar team to the Bruins. While they are a team that can somewhat score, they have to play a game like ours because they don't have much skill. They desperately need a true sniper if they ever want to be an elite team.

Milan Lucic - David Krejci - Nathan Horton
Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Mark Recchi
Rich Peverley - Chris Kelly - Michael Ryder
Daniel Paille - Gregory Campbell - Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara - Johnny Boychuk
Dennis Seidenberg - Tomas Kaberle
Andrew Ference - Adam McQuaid

Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask

___________ - Brad Richards* - Marian Gaborik
Brandon Dubinsky - Artem Anisimov - Ryan Callahan
Wojtek Wolski - Derek Stepan - Mats Zuccarello
___________ - Brian Boyle - Brandon Prust

Marc Staal - Dan Girardi
Ryan McDonagh - Michael Sauer
__________ - Michael Del Zotto

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

If the Bruins didn't get lucky this year with Tim Thomas, and they were very lucky because he'll never be able to come close to what he did again, then they'd have the same amount of points as us. Likewise, if we had a little bit more lucky on our side, we'd have a few more games in hand.

pld459666 05-03-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal (Post 32840491)
We are already a similar team to the Bruins. While they are a team that can somewhat score, they have to play a game like ours because they don't have much skill. They desperately need a true sniper if they ever want to be an elite team.

Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask

Marc Staal - Dan Girardi

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

If the Bruins didn't get lucky this year with Tim Thomas, and they were very lucky because he'll never be able to come close to what he did again, then they'd have the same amount of points as us. Likewise, if we had a little bit more lucky on our side, we'd have a few more games in hand.

That's what they said about him after he won his Vezina.

I wouldn't be so quick to plot his downfall

Orr Nightmare 05-03-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanErixon20 (Post 32839270)
It's the playoffs, coaches go with veterans they trust. It's not like Seguin had a killer season. He had 22 points and was a -4. Thornton had 20 points and was a +8.

I also saw #45 on the ice for the Flyers.

NHRangerfan 05-03-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal (Post 32840491)

Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask

Marc Staal - Dan Girardi

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Actually they don't have to play like the Rangers...the Lucic-Krecji-Horton line is pretty good living in New England I watch a lot of Bruins games...the fact of the matter is that Juliens system no matter where he has been is to roll 4 lines and trap...he gets a lot of grief up here because he doesn't change...with their 0-for the Playoffs PP a lot of people are asking why Seguin isn't at least in for PP time.

BTW there is a reason Lou Lam fired Julien 8 games before the playoffs...

Oh and Tim Thomas would like to paraphrase Mark Twain...the reports of my demise have been greaty exaggerated. I think a lot of people said the same thing about him after he won his FIRST Vezina.

JanErixon20 05-03-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 32839806)
Oh god I hope we're not following the Bruins model. I rather drown in a pool of acid than watch a boring team like that all season.

Who wins their division, has over 100 points and is a borderline final 4 team the last 3 seasons. I can understand that.

Zuccarello Awesome* 05-03-2011 01:45 PM

Seidenberg is more valuable to that team than Chara. He's a great skater, great puck mover, hits hard, and is always GO GO GO when he gets the puck. Even if nobody's open, he takes it deep himself. He would've been absolutely perfect next to Staal. =(

I also love Johnny Boychuk.

BlueshirtBlitz 05-03-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 32839959)
Better coach. Better goalie. Better forwards. Not much else. Yeah, we can do thier model... As if it is important...

Oh boy.

vipernsx 05-03-2011 05:36 PM

Boston wants to be like NY not the other way around. /THREAD

In The Flesh 05-03-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipAyten (Post 32839664)

:help::help:

For almost 10 years all the fans wanted was a hard working team.

Anyone who watched NYR from 99-lockout witnessed the laziest NHL hockey played.

There were tons of other factors involved in the failure of this franchise in that period but the lack of work ethic was #1.

And, we haven't been a hard working team for long at all.

Swept In Seven 05-03-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Flesh (Post 32847463)

There were tons of other factors involved in the failure of this franchise in that period but the lack of work ethic was #1.

How quickly we forget the All-Star teams that went no where earlier this century

haveandare 05-03-2011 07:36 PM

We should establish the Rangers model.

Screw the Bruins model, the Pitt/Wash model, etc, screw them all - they're just places to put the blame for the teams' failures. The idea is that if we build like team X we'll be great like them. Thats garbage. This team needs to fill in some gaping holes and dump some huge salary sucking players and things will turn around. They don't need to try to be like anybody. There's a good bit of young talent on this roster now and a ton of heart. It gets beaten to death but if Drury's money went to someone or a few people who actually came somewhat close to earning it that would make a huge, huge difference.

doming07 05-03-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Flesh (Post 32847463)

This :handclap::handclap::handclap: