HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Salary Cap: Tyler Myers: How much for How long? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910638)

TehDoak 05-03-2011 11:16 AM

Tyler Myers: How much for How long?

For his contract extension this summer (assuming they will get it done ASAP):

Short term before he can hit UFA (i.e. 3 years)

or long term, 8+ years?

What is the range for him, my guess is somewhere between 4-5 million a year ala Shea Weber's contract off his ELC.

Ron Barr 05-03-2011 11:18 AM

What he would want: 4 years

What we would want: 5+ years

My guess is that his deal will be somewhere around 4 years, $25 million total.

ohheyimmark 05-03-2011 11:23 AM

Lots. Many years.

1point21Gigawatts 05-03-2011 11:28 AM

whatever he wants, for how ever long he wants. Get it done, DR!

Shmuffalo 05-03-2011 11:33 AM

I doubt they will resign him until next season

mechaphil 05-03-2011 11:40 AM

In his end of season interview, Myers said he's not looking at signing an extension until after next season.

ZZamboni 05-03-2011 11:43 AM

Whenever he signs his new contract I think it will look something like:

1st year - 3 mil.
2nd year - 4.5 mil.
3rd year - 5 mil.
4th year - 5.5 mil.
5th year - 6 mil.

TehDoak 05-03-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechaphil (Post 32841729)
In his end of season interview, Myers said he's not looking at signing an extension until after next season.

You offer him 10+ years his agent will tell him to take it IMHO.

No use risking long term guaranteed money when he can get a season ending injury next year.

Montag DP 05-03-2011 11:48 AM

What are his comparables getting?

I don't see us re-signing him until next year.

Blitz 05-03-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Zamboni (Post 32841781)
Whenever he signs his new contract I think it will look something like:

1st year - 3 mil.
2nd year - 4.5 mil.
3rd year - 5 mil.
4th year - 5.5 mil.
5th year - 6 mil.

Done. go for 7 years, pay scaling ends after 5.

flyingpig 05-03-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechaphil (Post 32841729)

he said it in the paper again today.

They shoudl have learned from the Briere/Drury mess to try to get it done and get it done now. Not only would it be good to ensure he in the fold long term, but it would help them figure out what room they have going forward, with other signings etc..

PS I think we are looking at a cap hit closer to $7 million.

Timbo Slice 05-03-2011 11:59 AM

10 years, 60 million.

Zip15 05-03-2011 12:08 PM

Do it after next season.

mechaphil 05-03-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingpig (Post 32841982)
he said it in the paper again today.

They shoudl have learned from the Briere/Drury mess to try to get it done and get it done now. Not only would it be good to ensure he in the fold long term, but it would help them figure out what room they have going forward, with other signings etc..

PS I think we are looking at a cap hit closer to $7 million.

It's not like they can "get it done and get it done now" with Myers - they aren't allowed to even negotiate an extension with him until July 1st.

Also, his comments in the paper are just them printing what he said during his end of season interview.

Sabretip 05-03-2011 12:18 PM

How much the Pegula factor may change his thinking is an unknown but I suspect that Regier will still hold firm to his personal philosophies about handing out any of the monumental terms (i.e. 8+ years) other teams have, even for a true franchise player like Myers. There are so many unknowns that can happen in that length of time that have nothing to do with talent or ability. With a new CBA not that far off, his past quotes have also indicated that Regier prefers to give the organization as much flexibility as is possible.

That said, I suspect that Regier will approach the Myers extension much as how he did the ones given to Miller, Pominville and Roy.

Term: 6 years
Salary: Starting at $2.75M, increasing to $3.25M, $4M, $4.5M, $5M and ending at $5.5M when Myers is in his prime at age 27.

BuiltTagonTough 05-03-2011 12:20 PM

Prepare an offer for this offseason. Even if he wants to wait another year before negotiating send his agent an offer he isn't likely to refuse. Then go sign/trade for the big fish knowing what your cap is like going forward.

If he doesn't take it at least you tried and he knows whats out there.

Sabretip 05-03-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 32842245)
Do it after next season.

I think even a conservative thinker like Regier knows that waiting til then would be playing with fire - especially if Myers breaks out in his 3rd season. Right now, there's a fair balance of leverage for both sides: the Myers camp can promote his Calder season, while the Sabres camp can remind that a 2nd year player coming off an inconsistent season still has a lot of room to improve and grow.

I suspect that there will be some discussions about Myers' contract before training camp, but after most of the more pressing personnel (RFA / trade / draft) issues are dealt with.

thefifagod 05-03-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32842420)
How much the Pegula factor may change his thinking is an unknown but I suspect that Regier will still hold firm to his personal philosophies about handing out any of the monumental terms (i.e. 8+ years) other teams have, even for a true franchise player like Myers. There are so many unknowns that can happen in that length of time that have nothing to do with talent or ability. With a new CBA not that far off, his past quotes have also indicated that Regier prefers to give the organization as much flexibility as is possible.

That said, I suspect that Regier will approach the Myers extension much as how he did the ones given to Miller, Pominville and Roy.

Term: 6 years
Salary: Starting at $2.75M, increasing to $3.25M, $4M, $4.5M, $5M and ending at $5.5M when Myers is in his prime at age 27.

I'd be all for it but that's only a cap hit of 4.17 million. I think it's safe to say it's going to take more than that. If Regier approaches it like those previous contracts, he's going to pay Myers assuming that he is going to keep developing so I'd expect a steeper rise in his pay than what you have listed.

flyingpig 05-03-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechaphil (Post 32842270)
It's not like they can "get it done and get it done now" with Myers - they aren't allowed to even negotiate an extension with him until July 1st.

Also, his comments in the paper are just them printing what he said during his end of season interview.

They should be hitting the ground running on July 1. It is only three months away. If they cannot get a deal done before the season, get it done during the season.

I cannot imagine a guy like Pegula not wanting to secure a vital part to the future of this organization ASAP. Just like his extension with Ruff, his investment in the facilities, etc., he wants things done NOW.

As for his comments in the paper, they are a quote, presumably to Harrington, who wrote the piece, but whatever...

flyingpig 05-03-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 32842245)
Do it after next season.

The only way that works as leverage for the Sabres is if he gets hurt or plays poorly.

Sabretip 05-03-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefifagod (Post 32842525)
I'd be all for it but that's only a cap hit of 4.17 million. I think it's safe to say it's going to take more than that. If Regier approaches it like those previous contracts, he's going to pay Myers assuming that he is going to keep developing so I'd expect a steeper rise in his pay than what you have listed.

Maybe - a lot depends on what happens with the next CBA and its impact on the salary cap. Everything that I've heard and read from Regier since the lockout suggests that he'll be very careful to lock the team into a contract that becomes a financial handicap in the long-term when there are so many unknowns on what the next CBA ends up as.

Other than the Connolly and Hecht extensions - and perhaps the Pominville deal - it seems that Regier has more often than not managed contract extensions / dollars that are at or just below the going rate around the NHL, even when most of us fans anticipate him being forced over a barrel.

You may be right though - with Pegula on board, maybe they pay more to keep Myers but I wouldn't bet on the term being longer than 5 or 6 years.

thefifagod 05-03-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32843031)
Maybe - a lot depends on what happens with the next CBA and its impact on the salary cap. Everything that I've heard and read from Regier since the lockout suggests that he'll be very careful to lock the team into a contract that becomes a financial handicap in the long-term when there are so many unknowns on what the next CBA ends up as.

Other than the Connolly and Hecht extensions - and perhaps the Pominville deal - it seems that Regier has more often than not managed contract extensions / dollars that are at or just below the going rate around the NHL, even when most of us fans anticipate him being forced over a barrel.

You may be right though - with Pegula on board, maybe they pay more to keep Myers but I wouldn't bet on the term being longer than 5 or 6 years.

Definitely true about the CBA. I agree that I wouldn't expect a super long term deal even though I wouldn't necessarily be against it since it would bring a smaller cap hit over that term. The best bet in my opinion is to make his next deal end when Myers is still restricted or to take it a few years into his unrestricted status.

Zip15 05-03-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingpig (Post 32843012)
The only way that works as leverage for the Sabres is if he gets hurt or plays poorly.

The only way he signs a deal this summer is for a major overpayment. Don't you think he and his agent are aware that they may have more leverage next season--third year in the league, looming possibility of offer sheet, etc--and will wait until next summer? Part and parcel of my opinion that it should be done next season is that he's not going to accept anything short of a serious overpayment this summer.

Further, next season is the last under this CBA. There's likely to be some significant changes. One of the major rumblings is that the league is going to want to increase the UFA age to 29. That will have an effect on Myers' next deal.

We have an owner who'll pay Myers. That's not a concern. They'll have plenty of time to take care of this next summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 32842490)
I think even a conservative thinker like Regier knows that waiting til then would be playing with fire - especially if Myers breaks out in his 3rd season. Right now, there's a fair balance of leverage for both sides: the Myers camp can promote his Calder season, while the Sabres camp can remind that a 2nd year player coming off an inconsistent season still has a lot of room to improve and grow.

I suspect that there will be some discussions about Myers' contract before training camp, but after most of the more pressing personnel (RFA / trade / draft) issues are dealt with.

There may be some discussions, but I don't see an agreement in the near future. How many players have signed big deals after their second year and during the summer in which they were 21? I'd guess very few. It's fairly clear Myers doesn't want to deal with it until next summer. Fine. We have an owner who'll pay him. We have a GM who's enamored with his own draft picks.

Tyler Myers ain't goin' nowhere.

Armond White 05-03-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Barr (Post 32841310)
What he would want: 4 years

What we would want: 5+ years

My guess is that his deal will be somewhere around 4 years, $25 million total.

If we're giving him over 6 million per year, it better be for 8 years.

Layne Staley 05-03-2011 01:23 PM

5 mil cap hit tops, whoever said 7 mil for Myers is insane, he is not worth that much.

Give him what Doughty gets, - a million.