HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mike Richards "The Fly" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910684)

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 02:05 PM

Mike Richards "The Fly"

Watching Richards last night sidestep Adam Mc"Laid" out's Ted DiBiase-like flying forearm was a thing of beauty and NO I do not feel sorry for McLaid out getting hurt. He was intending to injure Richards and he got what was coming to him....

Anyway...I think Richards is one of the best players with his peripheral vision and awareness when it comes to seeing hits. I think we should have a montage of his best but this one by far on McLaid out was one of the best...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=112617

Extended version

El Emperor 05-03-2011 02:09 PM

It looked like Claude Julien was arguing with the refs after McQuaid came off the ice. Was he seriously whining that there was no penalty on the play?

stygian16* 05-03-2011 02:37 PM

Strongly agree about Richards' on Ice Awareness but that in no way was an intent to injure.. jeez

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32844786)
Strongly agree about Richards' on Ice Awareness but that in no way was an intent to injure.. jeez

So what exactly was he doing.... charging in to give him a hug or a playful noogie with his forearm?

stygian16* 05-03-2011 02:48 PM

To me it looks like the arm is tucked and doesn't fully extend until he's already lost his balance.

Jester 05-03-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32844968)
To me it looks like the arm is tucked and doesn't fully extend until he's already lost his balance.

That was going to be a blatant high hit.

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

No way..he lunged at him with his forearm (thrusting it out)...it was level with his head until Richards moved. He lost his balance because he awkwardly lunged at him with his forearm..it was not tucked. Watch the video it was clearly a blatant attempt at a high hit...sorry man.

stygian16* 05-03-2011 02:57 PM

No need to apologize you're not going to change what I am seeing.

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32845119)

I would hate to see your take on evidence in a court of law.....

stygian16* 05-03-2011 02:59 PM

Well then I guess you should stay out of legal trouble? :help:

Beef Invictus 05-03-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32845119)

Do you have any good eye doctors near you?

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32845161)
Well then I guess you should stay out of legal trouble? :help:

Yeah I guess so if you live in a banana republic with a kangaroo court....

phlocky 05-03-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Are you a bruins fan cause that elbow was extended and high. It would have been an elbow to the head of Richards if he didn't sidestep it.

stygian16* 05-03-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 32844159)

Anyway...I think Richards is one of the best players with his peripheral vision and awareness when it comes to seeing hits. I think we should have a montage of his best but this one by far on McLaid out was one of the best...

Still awaiting further discussion on this... I've seen the video, and the still shots and think it would have been a forearm to the shoulder...

Also stygian means of or relating to the River Styx / HE double hockey sticks so thanks for the advice.

might2mash 05-03-2011 04:09 PM

I don't know whether the hit was going to be high or not (slow mo it looks like it, but players don't line up hits in slow mo he was likely aiming for the shoulder originally), but the puck was still live in the area so Richards did the smart thing to stay in the play, and frankly McQuaid was lucky. And smart enough to turn his head the slightest bit not to get a spinal injury from compression. Look up Travis Roy's injury for those who haven't seen it. I'd never wish that on anyone.

tuckrr 05-03-2011 04:13 PM

despite the attempted hit, no one deserves to go into the boards that way...its almost unwatchable, like a car accident...i cant look away.

when i see that replay in slo-mo i cringe, but i also get that "shock" laughter where the humor is derived from a "thank god thats not me" mentality...

clearly its not funny though, that makes the whole randy jones/patrice bergeron instance look like patty cake in terms of damage comparison!

FreshPerspective 05-03-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32846188)
Still awaiting further discussion on this... I've seen the video, and the still shots and think it would have been a forearm to the shoulder...

Also stygian means of or relating to the River Styx / HE double hockey sticks so thanks for the advice.

You are losing credibility now..not that you had any to begin with. Earlier you said his forearm was tucked but now you concede he lunged with his forearm but that it was going to be to the shoulder? While it's plausible that his intention was not as malicious as some of us are implying it seems his LUNGING forearm was level to his head and thus the act would have been a head shot. Either way it was a reckless and irresponsible play and he wound up hurting himself which he deserves. We all know Richards has his suspect moments but doesn't absolve McQuaid for what he was attempting to do with his flying forearm...

BernieParent 05-03-2011 10:39 PM

I loved the close-up of Richards' face standing near the Flyers bench afterwards watching the replay on the Jumbotron. He had that sarcastic eyebrow arch like, "Yeah, he tried to plow me. Pfft, so what?"

Beastieboy 05-03-2011 10:55 PM

Some of the guys on the NHL Network were calling it a reckless play, etc. Then that ^^%*^% Bob Errey came on and basically said Richards has "concussed several players, etc." implying that he is a dirty player and guys are obviously looking to even the score and take him out. Don't recall exactly what he said, but he is a tool. He does, however, like Bob and basically said they should have left Bob in after the 2nd.

GoneFullHextall 05-04-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stygian16 (Post 32846188)
Still awaiting further discussion on this... I've seen the video, and the still shots and think it would have been a forearm to the shoulder... .

McQuaid was clearly going in with intent to deliver at the very, very worst a forearm shiver to the head of Richards. The elbow was out. There was intent. I dont care what anyone says. I would love to hear how Bruins fans would react if he had connected. Would of been a definite suspension had he connected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastieboy (Post 32856393)
Some of the guys on the NHL Network were calling it a reckless play, etc. Then that ^^%*^% Bob Errey came on and basically said Richards has "concussed several players, etc." implying that he is a dirty player and guys are obviously looking to even the score and take him out. Don't recall exactly what he said, but he is a tool. He does, however, like Bob and basically said they should have left Bob in after the 2nd.

Bob Errey is a jackass. I remember last year he gauranteed the Pens would beat the Habs in 5 games on NHL network. Of course we all know how that went, and Errey was never seen again on NHLnetwork until after the Cup Final.
****in loser.

Joseph LaMonica 05-04-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 32844159)
Watching Richards last night sidestep Adam Mc"Laid" out's Ted DiBiase-like flying forearm was a thing of beauty and NO I do not feel sorry for McLaid out getting hurt. He was intending to injure Richards and he got what was coming to him....

Extended version

How very very ironic...

No one can mistake my fandom or bias, as evident by my avatar. I saw the forearm and I can't see anyway that it wouldn't have hit Richard's shoulder had he not moved... but 99% of Bruins fans will agree with me and 99% of Flyers fans will disagree. It's the nature of the beast and no discussion will change that.

No one will argue that it was a reckless play. It was McQuaid's own fault. He got hurt and is fortunate that it was not much more serious. My biggest thing as I'm watching any game is that I don't want to see anyone get hurt like that, whether it's a player with a clean reputation who makes a reckless play or a player who so often crosses the line and who some people think "should get what's coming to him."

andy28 05-04-2011 03:50 AM

Looked like he was throwing an elbow to me. Richards dodging that is just beautiful.

CptCannon 05-04-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

This.

Alicat 05-04-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 32859793)
McQuaid was clearly going in with intent to deliver at the very, very worst a forearm shiver to the head of Richards. The elbow was out. There was intent. I dont care what anyone says. I would love to hear how Bruins fans would react if he had connected. Would of been a definite suspension had he connected.

I agree with you and I'm a B's fan. Not a popular one at the moment for this line of thought.I don't care for Richards but McQuaid definitely took at least two strides before attempting to give Richards the fore-arm shiver no doubt connecting somewhere above the shoulders. Richards saw it and pivoted in the opposite direction behind the net. The sheer momentum caused McQuaid to slam into the boards. He is very lucky and I am happy he's ok.

If that would have connected, Richards could have gotten hurt and even if he didn't, McQuaid would have most certainly been issued at least a 5 minute major for charging, a game misconduct and a match. He would have also been suspended, that I am sure of and depending on the angle ect be assesed a rule 48 violation. It was a very stupid play on McQuaid's part.

McQuaid has at least 5 inches on Richards and is stronger. He could have easily gained position on the post and used his backside to force Richards off the puck and behind the net where his D partner could help him tie Richards up and allowing us to gain puck control. Hindsight is 20/20 and I hope Adam can get back soon but also learn that you can't attempt to or make these kinds of plays in the playoffs.

Number8 05-04-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferiah (Post 32860621)
Looked like he was throwing an elbow to me. Richards dodging that is just beautiful.

Glad to see the Habs fan come off the golf course to weigh in.

The answer is simple. After playing 7 games with the diving and acrobatic Habs, the Bruins sense of equilibrium and balance is completely out of whack.

They simply cannot comprehend an NHL team not falling over as a result of a stiff breeze. It's quite disconcerting.