HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Next Years Captain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910789)

Tyler Durden 05-03-2011 08:57 PM

Next Years Captain?

Who do you think its going to be? I think its going to be between Jackamn, Backes, or Steen.

TonsofPuppies* 05-03-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Durden (Post 32853131)
Who do you think its going to be? I think its going to be between Jackamn, Backes, or Steen.

Pietroangelo.

Robb_K 05-03-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Durden (Post 32853131)

I'd be leery of giving it to Jackman, as he might not be around after next season's trade deadline (IF The Blues sign a veteran defenceman this offseason).

I'd give it to Backes (who should be around for at least 4-5 years.

SteenMachine 05-03-2011 09:34 PM

Seems like it'll be about who takes responsibility for this team when they're not on the ice. It might be a surprise until we hear about how they picked this time around. It's easy to say Backes as he really leads this team on the ice and is one of the most emotionally dedicated players. Not sure if that translates into a good leader, who keeps players honest with themselves and the team focused on winning every game. I won't be surprised to find out there's a veteran who has a bigger presence in the locker room or on the bench than they're given credit for though.

Lucifer T Longfellow 05-03-2011 10:13 PM

Brad Richards:yo:

frankielax 05-03-2011 10:22 PM

In all honesty, I see Backes and Steen being almost identical in deserving it. I personally wouldn't mind either, but Steen doesn't take the first 2 months of every season to get going so I'd give it to him by a hair. Of course... what the H do I know about locker room stuff? Maybe that changes things. Either way, 2 (or 3 w/ Petro) very good candidates.

TerminatorBlue 05-03-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someguy (Post 32853649)
Pietroangelo.

I wouldn't mind one bit if Pietroangelo was captain....Him or Backes.

randysavage 05-04-2011 01:21 AM

Backes as the C and A-Mac, Jackman, Steen, and Pietro possibly with A's.

Oshie97 05-04-2011 06:10 AM

I think Pietro is a little to young to get the C, let him focus on his game. Surprised not too many are saying AMAC, he seems has good leadership skills and produces when he not hurt. I agree with most though Backes is the best choice IMO.

Tyler Durden 05-04-2011 08:24 AM

Why not Jackman?

TonsofPuppies* 05-04-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oshie97 (Post 32860999)
I think Pietro is a little to young to get the C, let him focus on his game. Surprised not too many are saying AMAC, he seems has good leadership skills and produces when he not hurt. I agree with most though Backes is the best choice IMO.

I disagree with the "too young" reasoning. Toews won a gold medal at the olympics last year, also being named best forward. He captained the Blackhawks a stanley cup championship and was also named playoff MVP. Generally speaking, you are right, many young players don't possess the natural leadership skills to be captains at the NHL level. Pietro is not one of those players. He is also the face of your franchise going forward, in my opinion. He is the best choice (again imo), but I am an outsider (Leafs fan), so I don't know the rest of the players as well as you guys do.

EastonBlues22 05-04-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Durden (Post 32861696)
Why not Jackman?

It seems like part of the reason why Brewer was traded (with no interest in bringing him back) was to facilitate a little turnover in the locker room leadership. Given his tenure and extensive leadership history, Jackman is about as close to "more of the same" as you could possibly get on this team.

Don't get me wrong...I think he would be a fine choice. I just think they will end up going with Backes. He's one of the oldest of the "kids", and he's clearly a leader on the ice. It just seems to me like he's the identity/personality that the Blues would really like to shape their team moving forward.

<shrug> We'll see. I don't think the Blues are hurting for leadership, so it will be interesting to see who they end up choosing. They certainly have some solid choices available...and more on the way.

Linus 05-04-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randysavage (Post 32859705)

This is how I can see everything playing out. It almost seems like Backes was implied to be the next captain even before Brewer was gone, haha

frostyflo 05-07-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randysavage (Post 32859705)

exactly this!

give the C to our MVP, David Backes!

StLooFrenchy 05-07-2011 04:33 PM

Jackman.

schronote 05-07-2011 07:12 PM

Please no Jackman. A leader doesn't need a letter to speak up in the locker room. But the captain does need to be the face of the franchise and not a whole lot of fans would be very happy with Jackman as the captain. Backes should be our captain now and for the foreseeable future. Jackman, Steen, Macdonald, and Petro can rotate the A's.

jmwc95 05-08-2011 09:33 AM

I personally guarantee that Jackman will NOT be named the next Blues contract. Frankly, he most likely won't be a Blue after July 1st of 2012. Jackman was part of the failed "leadership" of the past few seasons.

It seems to me that they will probably make Backes the captain.

SirPaste 05-08-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwc95 (Post 32930476)
I personally guarantee that Jackman will NOT be named the next Blues contract. Frankly, he most likely won't be a Blue after July 1st of 2012. Jackman was part of the failed "leadership" of the past few seasons.

I agree, Jackman def wont be the next Blues contract, whatever that means:sarcasm:

StLooFrenchy 05-08-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Then by your description Backes was part of the failure too, yet you are more than ready to give him the "C".

SteenMachine 05-08-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy (Post 32931209)
Then by your description Backes was part of the failure too, yet you are more than ready to give him the "C".

Backes has a sweet +/- though!

WalterSobchak 05-08-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

well I am going to assume instead of contract you meant captain (as If I am going to be someone who mocks those sorts of mental mistakes) but this kind of statement just irks me. how do you guarantee it?

what happens if they do name Jackman captain, which is a very logical choice with all things considered, as good a choice as Backes, AMac, Oshie, Petro or Steen.

Now I think Jackman will probably be traded by the deadline next year if our team doesn't prove itself to be in the top 3rd of the league standings by that time next year (and I think that is quite likely) but Jackman is exactly the kind of player I would want as captain of this team, IMO.

Prussian_Blue 05-08-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schronote (Post 32923246)
Please no Jackman. A leader doesn't need a letter to speak up in the locker room. But the captain does need to be the face of the franchise and not a whole lot of fans would be very happy with Jackman as the captain. Backes should be our captain now and for the foreseeable future. Jackman, Steen, Macdonald, and Petro can rotate the A's.

Seems to me like you're making a pretty big assumption as to what "a whole lot of fans" would accept...

Just because you and a few other vocal people don't like Jackman, that's no grounds to assume that "a whole lot of fans" agree with you.

randysavage 05-08-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy (Post 32931209)

Was Backes initially intended to take a leadership role on the team? Maybe, maybe not. He earned his new contract by growing into a leader on the team, and he thanked the front office for their generosity by having the best season of his young career and pretty much carrying the team on his back through all of the losing streaks and injuries during the season. Sure, they were losses, and they got it handed to them a few times, but his presence and physical play on this team kept them at least competitive in just about every game. C should be on his chest next year.

Celtic Note 05-08-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue (Post 32940601)
Seems to me like you're making a pretty big assumption as to what "a whole lot of fans" would accept...

Just because you and a few other vocal people don't like Jackman, that's no grounds to assume that "a whole lot of fans" agree with you.

Make a poll. :nod:

WalterSobchak 05-08-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zundo (Post 32941692)
Make a poll. :nod:

and so shall it be done!