HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   News Article: Coffey: "I'd consult the Pens Powerplay" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910852)

TravisUlrich 05-03-2011 11:31 PM

Coffey: "I'd consult the Pens Powerplay"

Story Link

Quote:

Paul Coffey isn't interested in coaching in the NHL.

But the Hall of Fame defenseman said Tuesday he'd be willing to consult with the Penguins next season, after an ineffective power play sent the team to an early playoff exit.

″Anything to help anybody,″ Coffey said in a phone interview.
You'd think he'd be a good guy to get advice from for a Powerplay.

SCUDeriMISSILE 05-03-2011 11:32 PM

Coffey willing to consult on Pens PP

Quote:

Paul Coffey isn't interested in coaching in the NHL.

But the Hall of Fame defenseman said Tuesday he'd be willing to consult with the Penguins next season, after an ineffective power play sent the team to an early playoff exit.

"Anything to help anybody," Coffey said in a phone interview.
Quote:

"I was going back and forth with Mario (Lemieux) on texts (during the playoffs)," said Coffey, widely considered to be one of the game's great power-play quarterbacks.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_735305.html

This... probably couldn't hurt. Might be able to help Letang quite a bit, specifically.

SCUDeriMISSILE 05-03-2011 11:33 PM

Son of a *****; you beat me :rant:

Your internet nerdom is superior to mine by one minute.

SidGenoMario 05-03-2011 11:35 PM

It's an easy solution, find someone who skates as good as him.

TravisUlrich 05-03-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane (Post 32857827)
Son of a *****; you beat me :rant:

Your internet nerdom is superior to mine by one minute.

I have TEH POWERZ!!!
http://www.personadondada.com/wordpr...t-nerd-boy.jpg

Rakunitz23 05-03-2011 11:35 PM

In the words of Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot, Hoooodeeeeeeeee hooooooooooo, run for cover, mother ****erssssss.

TravisUlrich 05-03-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidGenoMario (Post 32857885)
It's an easy solution, find someone who skates as good as him.

It's probably different for powerplays but I always wonder how good talented players would be at coaching. Like I wounder if Gretzky was ever just like thinking to himself "Why didn't Saprikyn just sauce a blind-sighted bank pass off of boards from his backhand over two opponents' sticks? I mean c'mon, it's so obvious!"

Ugene Malkin 05-03-2011 11:42 PM

He could consult via online and even just use YT's to get his point across to them.

I'm sure PC has some things too in mind from watching them.

Never a bad thing to get advice from a master.

Coach John McGuirk 05-03-2011 11:46 PM

Coffey and Andreychuk. Do it.

JordanStaal#1Fan 05-03-2011 11:46 PM

Why not? It is not like the PP could do worse.

Biz Nasty 05-03-2011 11:48 PM

We have a Power Play expert already within the organization...Eddie Johnston.

EJ has a solid rep for being a great Power Play coach...I'd imagine he would be more than willing to give his input. Stan Savran was on Madden's show today and was talking about a conversation he had with EJ after game 5 in the 2008 finals where he praised Bylsma's decision to put Talbot on the ice because he was a guy who will go to the net and get his nose dirty, Savran also alluded to EJ thinking that Talbot should've gotten PP time this year when we were struggling.

I certainly don't think Max Talbot would've made the difference, but it lends itself to a stylistic change that we all know needs to happen...big bodies in front of the net causing absolute chaos is a staple of successful Power Plays. We have two guys in Tangradi and Neal who are big and skilled...unless one of them is in the box, there shouldn't be a PP shift next season where one or the other isn't parked in front of the goalie.

66-29-33 05-03-2011 11:51 PM

So basically Coffey would just be telling players over the phone what he thinks they should do or something? we need a PP coach, not a consultant IMO. Bylsma definatly should NOT be running the PP, and that's obvious to anyone and their blind dogs.

66-29-33 05-03-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane (Post 32857802)
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_735305.html

This... probably couldn't hurt. Might be able to help Letang quite a bit, specifically.

I think he would consult because Letang. He seemed to be in love with him when he was on the air a few years ago, and i believe told his son about him and to watch how he plays.

Sidney the Kidney 05-04-2011 12:00 AM

At this point, anything is worth a try. You can't exactly get much worse than that pathetic excuse for a powerplay we saw in the playoffs. But I'm not sure Coffey as a consultant would change much, not unless the spirit of Coffey in his prime took over Kris Letang or Paul Martin's body.

clefty 05-04-2011 12:10 AM

I would say nothing comes of this.

I mean, even if it did, I'd prefer someone comes on board in full capacity with a strong track record to help the powerplay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biz Nasty (Post 32858195)
We have a Power Play expert already within the organization...Eddie Johnston.

EJ has a solid rep for being a great Power Play coach...I'd imagine he would be more than willing to give his input. Stan Savran was on Madden's show today and was talking about a conversation he had with EJ after game 5 in the 2008 finals where he praised Bylsma's decision to put Talbot on the ice because he was a guy who will go to the net and get his nose dirty, Savran also alluded to EJ thinking that Talbot should've gotten PP time this year when we were struggling.

I certainly don't think Max Talbot would've made the difference, but it lends itself to a stylistic change that we all know needs to happen...big bodies in front of the net causing absolute chaos is a staple of successful Power Plays. We have two guys in Tangradi and Neal who are big and skilled...unless one of them is in the box, there shouldn't be a PP shift next season where one or the other isn't parked in front of the goalie.

Eddie Johnston has been retired for some time.

lastcupever75 05-04-2011 12:14 AM

paul's advice

skate, shoot and pass like me....good luck

JTG 05-04-2011 01:23 AM

I mean, it couldn't hurt. Doesn't change the fact that we still need a powerplay coach who is on the staff full time.

Human 05-04-2011 02:02 AM

done deal. the only way is up...

#66 05-04-2011 05:46 AM

Great news IMO. I think only half of what made Paul Coffey great was his insane skill the other half was that he thought the game as good as anyone... including Wayne and Mario.

I'm hoping he works with them in preseason and then just chimes in every once in a while. Also love hearing that quote from him. He's always seemed like a people first person to me and little quotes like that just confirm it. Still loved the way he attacked the media after Lemieux's point streak was over.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 05-04-2011 07:07 AM

Let's just get an actual full-time coach.

Dr Van Nostrand 05-04-2011 07:10 AM

What's a powerplay?

froods 05-04-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 (Post 32857901)
In the words of Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot, Hoooodeeeeeeeee hooooooooooo, run for cover, mother ****erssssss.

I was hoping to never picture a fat woman in a garbage bag ever again, thanks a lot.

Mr Jiggyfly 05-04-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmcd24 (Post 32861219)
What's a powerplay?

See: Sharks, San Jose

Ugene Malkin 05-04-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmcd24 (Post 32861219)
What's a powerplay?

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...16c2-1-1-1.jpg

gopens66 05-04-2011 08:20 AM

I think a full-time coach would be appropriate. But, right now, I don't see how this could hurt. As someone else said, Nowhere to go but up.

Now, here's how it's gonna be. Possess the puck in our end and get it to #77. He'll skate through everybody and gain the offensive zone with zero problem. He'll then be looking to get the puck to someone low on the right side, drawing the PK box towards him. Work the puck quickly back to the points where #77 will be looking to shoot or slap-pass it to the left half-boards for the big guy to finish. Any questions?