HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Pittsburgh-NY Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=910982)

The Bored Warrior 05-04-2011 12:02 PM

Pittsburgh-NY Islanders
 
To Pittsburgh:
RW Nino Niederreiter
2011 1st Round pick (5th overall)

To Islanders:
D Kris Letang
LW Chris Kunitz

Pittsburgh gets a speedy winger in Niderreiter to play with Crosby/Malkin. Also Pittsburgh gains a chance to add another winger with the 5th overall draft pick either Couturier,Huberdeau or Strome. Pittsburgh also gets cap space in the trade as well.

The Islanders get a young solid two way Defenseman in Letang who is signed through the 2014 season at 3.5 million a season. In Kunitz the Islanders gain a hard nosed solid leader who can play the penalty kill and power play. Kunitz also will fit well with Tavares or Bailey on one of the top two lines.

thadd 05-04-2011 12:07 PM

I don't think the Islanders or the Penguins can afford to do this trade.

As good as the Penguins were this year it would be hard to imagine how good they would've been with Crosby and Malkin in the line-up.

Letang... I can't see him going anywhere... but I think this is a fair payment for him and Kuntiz... possibly an overpayment.

Islanders can't do it because they need Nino until the other prospects in their system have proven themselves.

Penguins can't do it because well... Letang is their best offensive weapon from the rear.

Pens1566 05-04-2011 12:08 PM

No way Pens do this. :(

Puckface NYR* 05-04-2011 12:11 PM

Not a bad proposal at all, but can't ever see it being a possibility. The value is pretty good though.

2LeftSkates 05-04-2011 12:13 PM

Why would the Isles do this?
Maybe if it was their second round pick.

Halakness Monster 05-04-2011 12:14 PM

Value is good imo. depends on who is left at the draft maybe.

Chapin Landvogt 05-04-2011 12:21 PM

The Pittsburgh players are of course fine players, particularly Letang, but the Islanders are in NO WAY in a trade-the-primary-futures for players who are established, but not putting them over the top now.

Niederreiter and whoever they take 5th this summer are automatically the two finest prospects in the Islanders' system. By the time those two hit their stride, the Isles should be in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference.

Jaded-Fan 05-04-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt (Post 32864837)
The Pittsburgh players are of course fine players, particularly Letang, but the Islanders are in NO WAY in a trade-the-primary-futures for players who are established, but not putting them over the top now.

Niederreiter and whoever they take 5th this summer are automatically the two finest prospects in the Islanders' system. By the time those two hit their stride, the Isles should be in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference.

And Pittsburgh has their young talented core, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, that Defense all tied up for several years to come and are in win now, and for the next half decade mode. How many times do you see the team that is one of the cup favorites trading the star player for prospects and picks to a team who is in the middle of a full rebuild? This proposal is the exact opposite of the usual. The timing sucks for both teams.

goldy2266 05-04-2011 12:29 PM

If I'm the Penguins and I have a 50+ point Defenceman who also is a capable two way player and I have to trade Kunitz as well than I would want/need someting back that can help me win now. Nino and the Pick are fair for the trade but this is not what the Pens want/need, this is a step backwards for them now, but helps them develop for two to threes from now.

If I'm the Islanders I like the deal. They would get a what they need now. A young puck moving D and a fiesty player up front.

Who really knows what Nino and the pick are going to be, but I do know what the pens have in Letang is and Knuitz and there not easily replaced through the UFA.

Kevin27nyi 05-04-2011 12:33 PM

no for the isles.

i kind of want nino to be with tavares long term.

DwightKSchrute 05-04-2011 12:35 PM

Never.

spiny norman 05-04-2011 12:44 PM

No from both teams.

Where the Islanders are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their young assets to continue the rebuild.

Where the Penguins are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their proven core asset (Letang) and their top winger (Kunitz).

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 05-04-2011 12:45 PM

I wonder at what point the OP figured Letang was even slightly expendable.

The Bored Warrior 05-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldy2266 (Post 32864968)
If I'm the Penguins and I have a 50+ point Defenceman who also is a capable two way player and I have to trade Kunitz as well than I would want/need someting back that can help me win now. Nino and the Pick are fair for the trade but this is not what the Pens want/need, this is a step backwards for them now, but helps them develop for two to threes from now.

If I'm the Islanders I like the deal. They would get a what they need now. A young puck moving D and a fiesty player up front.

Who really knows what Nino and the pick are going to be, but I do know what the pens have in Letang is and Knuitz and there not easily replaced through the UFA.

The Pens biggest offseason need is secondary scoring as you saw since Crosby and Malkin got hurt no one else was able to carry the scoring load gaining a young forward in Niederreiter who can play right away and if Couturier falls to 5th overall he is also NHL ready. Losing Letang would hurt Letang can be replaced though the system with Despres & Bortuzzo both have offensive upside. Kunitz is strictly a salary dump The Pens need to free up money to sign key UFAs.

wej20 05-04-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 (Post 32865278)
The Pens biggest offseason need is secondary scoring as you saw since Crosby and Malkin got hurt no one else was able to carry the scoring load gaining a young forward in Niederreiter who can play right away and if Couturier falls to 5th overall he is also NHL ready. Losing Letang would hurt Letang can be replaced though the system with Despres & Bortuzzo both have offensive upside. Kunitz is strictly a salary dump The Pens need to free up money to sign key UFAs.

Pens biggest off-season need is for Crosby and Malkin to stay healthy. Despres and Bortuzzo don't have anywhere near the offensive upside of Letang and neither are ready for top 4 minutes next season. Pens are competing now so trading their #1 dman and 2nd best winger for futures makes absolutely no sense at all. Kunitz is a salary dump? we don't have any real key UFAs to sign.

Niederreiter may be NHL ready but he's hardly a lock to score 20 goals next season and why would Pens draft Couturier? He's a centre.

SLAPSHOT723 05-04-2011 01:04 PM

We can't give up Nino.

OrangeZebra 05-04-2011 01:25 PM

Nino is part of our future top line(s). no way we trade him

WangMustGo 05-04-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiny norman (Post 32865242)
No from both teams.

Where the Islanders are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their young assets to continue the rebuild.

Where the Penguins are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their proven core asset (Letang) and their top winger (Kunitz).

This. Penguins need proven wingers, Isles need to keep their youngsters. Nino and the #5 pick could both turn out to be very good players.

Isles drafted Nino to play with Tavares for years to come, really think this kid could be a special talent if they develop him properly.

Sidney the Kidney 05-04-2011 01:31 PM

The OP is kind of the opposite of what both franchise, at this point in time, would even contemplate doing.

Typically, when a team trades current established NHLers for prospects/draft picks, they're in rebuild mode. Conversely, when a team trades prospects/draft picks for established NHLers, they're in contendership mode. The OP seems to think the Isles and Pens have swapped modes, based on the proposal.

M Moulson Ale 05-04-2011 03:00 PM

this wont work for the isles for three reasons
1. As mentioned before, Nino is part of the future
2. If Nino and the 5th overall pick (Huberdeau, Larsson, etc.) become stars, it would be a massive overpayment and another "Yashin-type" deal for the isles
3. I dont think Letang and kunitz, let alone the rest of the Penguins' players, want to play for the isles in a newly heated up rivalry

Kaen 05-04-2011 03:10 PM

The value isn't bad, but it is the complete opposite of what each team is trying to do right now.

UnderratedBrooks44 05-04-2011 03:28 PM

Good lord. Even though I'm not as high on Letang as some people this is......yikes. Give us Okposo for something.

Puckface NYR* 05-04-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 32868272)
Good lord. Even though I'm not as high on Letang as some people this is......yikes. Give us Okposo for something.

huh? Nino's a future 1st liner and the 5th overall. That's a pretty even deal, it just doesn't fill holes for either team, but rather creates them.

Isles_Guy* 05-04-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 32868312)
huh? Nino's a future 1st liner and the 5th overall. That's a pretty even deal, it just doesn't fill holes for either team, but rather creates them.

youre crazy would you give up Stepan, McDonagh and your 1st for Letang and Kunitz ? Doubtful at best

Human 05-04-2011 04:04 PM

Penguins aren't in rebuilding mode. they want to win now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.