HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Leading up to Gm 4: How many actually remember the 95 Sharks/Wings series? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=911292)

ChompChomp 05-05-2011 10:46 AM

Leading up to Gm 4: How many actually remember the 95 Sharks/Wings series?

Everyone remembers the 94 series against the Wings and the big upset, but how many here, besides myself, vividly remember the 95 WCSF series against the Wings?

I know I do. My little brother calls it the "tennis series." A sweep by the Wings with the scores of 6-0, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. From the opening faceoff of each game, the Sharks never had a chance. Most of the Sharks PP's actually looked like Wings PP's because the Wings were so good and so far and away better than the Sharks that the Wings were owning the Sharks 4 on 5.

The Sharks would go on to miss the playoffs for a couple of seasons after that and do a major rebuild before making the playoffs the next time in 1998.

It was by the far the worst humiliation I've ever seen as a Sharks fan in the playoffs. At least the sweep last year to the Hawks were in tight games. This series in 95 wasn't even close. I can hardly remember in the 20 years of Sharks existence any team in the NHL playoffs getting pwned that badly in a series. Can anyone else cite a sweep where a team dominated that badly (outscoring the opposition 24-6) since, say, 91-92? Since 2000?

I mention it because last year I hoped we'd finally get retribution, but Nabby stunk it up in Game 4 and we lost bad. I hope this year is different because even though we won last year's series, IMHO, I feel like the Sharks never did get payback for 1995. I want it now, even though it's been a very tight series.

Anyone else remember that series like it was yesterday?

Hold the Pickles 05-05-2011 10:55 AM

Yeah, I remember. I always looked at that as Detroits payback for the the year before though.

We were entirely inept in that series. It was so obvious we were done partly through game 3, that I gave my game 4 ticket away... and I'm the type of fan that stays until the last second, even if we're down by 5 goals.

KzooShark 05-05-2011 11:04 AM

Oh, that was an ugly week. I got a little more mouthy as a 15 year old in Michigan after the 1994 series and paid dearly for it. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the Devils for sweeping the Wings out and delaying their first modern cup two more years.

SJSharkzie 05-05-2011 11:14 AM

I'm glad I was only 4 in 1995 and do not recall anything. :)

Nighthock 05-05-2011 11:18 AM

Yes, I remember ... still trying to forget.

What I remeber the most is the slash to the back of Wade Flaherty's leg. By whom, I can't recall, but that still pisses me off.

USF Shark 05-05-2011 11:27 AM

yeah, that Fox robot got a work-out in that series :laugh:

DutchSharksfan11 05-05-2011 12:33 PM

yes! here in the netherlands back then we only had a weekly show, about 60 minutes, where you could see hockey. this whas the first year i saw nhl and the sharks and became a fan...:yo:
so this series i will always remember so i hope they sweep detroit this play offs...:nod:

CrazedZooChimp 05-05-2011 12:42 PM

I prefer to only remember the Calgary series from that year. Whitney scoring in game 7 Double OT never gets enough credit for being one of the biggest goals in Sharks history.

I remembered the Detroit series was bad, and I don't think I even watched all of it it was so bad. But I always think of that as Detroits revenge for '94, and that we don't owe them any revenge for that, no matter how bad it was.

ClicheGuevara 05-05-2011 12:54 PM

Yeah.. that sucked. Didn't Mike Rathje have a 2 goal game that series? It was on his birthday too.

ChompChomp 05-05-2011 02:12 PM

I think the Wings beating the Sharks in 95 was revenge, but the humiliation IMHO has still to be answered. Even though this isn't a thumping, a sweep here would for me feel like some kind of revenge [for the humilation of it all, not necessarily the result] for 95, especially when you combine with the series last year. A win tomorrow and Wings fans will look back at this series and last year's series combined and feel somewhat like how we did in 95 after the tennis series, that's my thought on this.

hockeyball 05-05-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 32884619)
I think the Wings beating the Sharks in 95 was revenge, but the humiliation IMHO has still to be answered. Even though this isn't a thumping, a sweep here would for me feel like some kind of revenge [for the humilation of it all, not necessarily the result] for 95, especially when you combine with the series last year. A win tomorrow and Wings fans will look back at this series and last year's series combined and feel somewhat like how we did in 95 after the tennis series, that's my thought on this.

It pretty much counts since we did it twice in a row. (not a sweep, but beat them quick). I'll feel vindicated if we win this in 4 or 5. Especially cause my wings fans friends are pretty embarrassed already eheh.

ChompChomp 05-05-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 32884856)
It pretty much counts since we did it twice in a row. (not a sweep, but beat them quick). I'll feel vindicated if we win this in 4 or 5. Especially cause my wings fans friends are pretty embarrassed already eheh.

:laugh: Oh ok, I don't have Wings fans friends so I don't know what they are thinking.

hockeyball 05-05-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 32884944)
:laugh: Oh ok, I don't have Wings fans friends so I don't know what they are thinking.

I have one pretty good friend who's a wings fan, and a co-worker. The friend fell asleep last night and though the Wings won. He didn't realize they lost until today. He was feeling pretty good about himself and I'm going "Dude, you lost, why are you happy?" and he goes "Wait, what?"

It was awesome.

Wedontneedroads 05-05-2011 05:02 PM

That very same year!!!!

Detroit got WORKED in those finals by New Jersey.

Lost the last two game in NJ by a combined score of 10-3 or somethin (fact check?).

I remember this vividly because i was still pissed about what they did to the sharks in round 1 that year.

Zaffy 05-05-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 32885063)
I have one pretty good friend who's a wings fan, and a co-worker. The friend fell asleep last night and though the Wings won. He didn't realize they lost until today. He was feeling pretty good about himself and I'm going "Dude, you lost, why are you happy?" and he goes "Wait, what?"

It was awesome.

Our mutual friend who's deployed in Iraq right now is a wings fan too. I'm not sure if he knows what is going on in the hockey world though.

StalockSuperfan 05-05-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJSharkzie (Post 32881751)
I'm glad I was only 4 in 1995 and do not recall anything. :)

Haha same here.

KpopandHockey 05-05-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 32885063)

It was awesome.

:laugh: Wonder if there were any kings fans like that after they went up 4-0 in game 3.

rideaucrusher21 05-05-2011 06:13 PM

I remember that series, I attended game 3. Coming off the high of the series before, it sucked to be smashed down to Earth by a far superior wings team.

Derick* 05-05-2011 06:19 PM

Though I called myself a Sharks fan and made my mom by me sharks paraphanalia since as long as I can remember, I didn't actually watch the team with any regularity until the 2000 playoffs, when I was ten. So... no, afraid not.

burple 05-05-2011 06:21 PM

I remember that series too. Rathje had a really nice one-time goal from the slot, one of the few positive moments.

The whole series was sad for me because Makarov was clearly done. The extended time off during the lockout did a number on his conditioning and he was just not the same player he'd been only a year before. It was sad.

SC2008 05-05-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burple (Post 32888007)
I remember that series too. Rathje had a really nice one-time goal from the slot, one of the few positive moments.

The whole series was sad for me because Makarov was clearly done. The extended time off during the lockout did a number on his conditioning and he was just not the same player he'd been only a year before. It was sad.

Lol, I was going to mention Rathje too. I remember him having probably his best offensive output in the playoffs that series.

krudmonk 05-05-2011 08:50 PM

I remember Flaherty, Whitney and the series before that a lot better. Wonder why that is...

fxhomie 05-05-2011 09:05 PM

I had season tix that year and attended the playoffs. Gave the season tix up the next year. :-)

AngeLinTeal 05-06-2011 01:04 AM

I remember that was the very first year I ever heard about the Sharks.....I was 5 and can remember it clearly......it was on the Spanish News :nod:

WedgeAntilles* 05-06-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krudmonk (Post 32890648)
I remember Flaherty, Whitney and the series before that a lot better. Wonder why that is...

Wasn't that the year they went up 2-0 on Calgary, then lost 3 straight, then came back to win the last 2?