HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings sign Brad Smyth (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=91155)

JPL 07-14-2004 11:48 AM

Kings sign Brad Smyth

Brad Smyth announced to his last year GM, that he has sign 2 year contract with LA Kings yesterday. Just wanted you guys to know, because there was no information on the net yet.

Smyth played here, in Oulun Kärpät (Finnish champion last season) last year and did it very well. I'm pissed off, because he was my type of player and very nice man also.

Take good care of our moose.

Chartrand 07-14-2004 11:59 AM

Smyth's HockeyDB profile: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00005063

Sounds like an upper-level AHLer for Manchester ( assuming eligibility ) or another 4th liner for the Kings.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Old Hickory 07-14-2004 12:07 PM

Brad Smyth is back! The cup is ours!

KingPurpleDinosaur 07-14-2004 12:14 PM

back from the golden years!

kingsfan25 07-14-2004 12:22 PM

Here's the TSN evaluation: Brad Smyth

Sounds a little like Derek Armstrong before he arrived in L.A.

It also seems like he and Derek played together in the Rangers organization for a few years. Perhaps Derek had some influence on management's decision to pick him up.

Fat Elvis 07-14-2004 02:09 PM

Second time is a charm. We liked him so much the last time we shipped him off for a hogie and chips :shakehead DT has found us that top 6er we've been waiting for :handclap: What next Brian Benning?

Venom_17 07-14-2004 02:31 PM

What's up with signing all these plugs? A waste of money if you ask me. We all know what will happen this year....injuries, and pluggers will be called up to play instead of giving all our kids a shot.

Sofa King 07-14-2004 02:40 PM

Manchester is gonna rock this year! LOL

King Blazer 07-14-2004 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom_17
What's up with signing all these plugs? A waste of money if you ask me. We all know what will happen this year....injuries, and pluggers will be called up to play instead of giving all our kids a shot.

Maybe he's a player they got cheap that is likely eligible to play in Manchester this season if there is a lock-out. Maybe he's a waste of money as far as the NHL goes, but he has good numbers in the AHL. If there is a lockout, the Kings will still be required to send players to Manchester and I think Smyth is likely one of those players.

Fat Elvis 07-14-2004 03:48 PM

I was wondering how the Kings would fill the gapping hole left by John Tripp's departure, I'm glad they cleared that up.

Reaper45 07-14-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Blazer
Maybe he's a player they got cheap that is likely eligible to play in Manchester this season if there is a lock-out. Maybe he's a waste of money as far as the NHL goes, but he has good numbers in the AHL. If there is a lockout, the Kings will still be required to send players to Manchester and I think Smyth is likely one of those players.

Exactly.

swinginutter* 07-14-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Exactly! This has been a trend for us the last three/four seasons. These pluggers will find a way to win AM's heart, and another kid will be demoted. This is getting to be ridiculous!

Identity crisis! :help:

Mxpunk 07-14-2004 04:17 PM

Quote:

Although I'm not a fan of Smyth, I think he is signed more for veteran leadership in Manchester. You can't have a farm team with all young guys and no veteran presence...

Old Hickory 07-14-2004 06:20 PM

I liked Smyth the first time we had him and I was sorry to see him go.

SpooKy 07-14-2004 07:04 PM

He'll help fill the offensive hole at Mancherster that Pavel Rosa left.

-- Spooks

BlackAdderI 09-28-2004 02:04 AM

What's the status of Brad now in lockout situation? Is he playing in the Manchester? He was the man in fron of the net last year. We miss you "Moose"! :)

Chartrand 09-28-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackAdderI
What's the status of Brad now in lockout situation? Is he playing in the Manchester? He was the man in fron of the net last year. We miss you "Moose"! :)

He's participating in Manchester's training camp and will likely earn a spot with the team.

Reaper45 10-03-2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHL MV
He's participating in Manchester's training camp and will likely earn a spot with the team.

Hell he'll probably have the "C".....

King Blazer 10-03-2004 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Hell he'll probably have the "C".....

More likely that Schmidt will get the "C"... ;)

King Blazer 10-04-2004 02:11 PM

Sunday's Monarchs vs. Portland Preseason Game

Portland beats Monarchs 5-4 in shootout ending

Cammalleri wore the C
Rullier and Clarke with As

Lines:

James Fortier Lukajic
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Clarke Lehoux Kanko
Flinn Steckel Sullivan

Defense Sets

Belanger Mangos
Grebeshkov Rullier
Korovkin Peterson

Goaltenders
Hauser
Fukufuji

PP1
Brown Cammalleri Smyth
Lehoux Grebs

PP2
Kanko Fortier Clarke
Belanger Rullier

PK1
Cammalleri Clarke
Korovkin Peterson

PK2
Lehoux Kanko
Belanger Rullier

PK3
Cammalleri Brown
Rullier Belanger

Steckel saw time on both PP and PK after Fortier stopped playing in the second period. I assume Fortier was injured because he was playing well early. Steckel on the PP is like playing 4 on 4…

Scoring
Portland’s 1st goal (PP) was a screen job I doubt Hauser ever saw it
Portland’s 2nd goal (PP) came after Belanger dove to break-up a pass and wiped Hauser out. Can’t make saves from the back of the net and your teammate tangled-up with you.
Portland’s 3rd goal (SH) Fussey broke in down the left side let a snapper go from the left circle that Hauser should have had all the way. Beat him far side high.
Portland’s 4th goal Hauser made the save, puck was just off of the right post. He had his right skate against the post and was down. Two Portland players basically pushed his leg and puck in the net while the Manchester D watched…

Hauser gave-up 4. One he definitely should have had, the rest he didn’t get any help from his d-men…

Manchester’s 1st goal (PP) Brown from Smyth and Grebs. Backdoor cycle, pretty goal
Manchester’s 2nd Lehoux from Brown and Smyth. Good work low by Brown hit Lehoux high slot left side he roofed it right side after a nice cut. (Smyth with the tack-on)
Manchester’s 3rd Kanko from Lehoux and Peterson. Kanko with a one hand shovel it at the net on the right side and it goes in…
Manchester’s 4th (Not listed as a PP) but it was a 6 on 4 as the Monarchs had pulled Fukufuji and Portland was down a player. Lehoux from Belanger and Kanko. Similar to his first goal except Lehoux got a sweet setup from Belanger…

AHL Score sheet: http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/p...l?gameid=140982

Rullier left the ice after his fight in the second period with a cut over his right eye. A lot of blood but I don’t think he got hit. Clutching in front of Monarchs net each guy landed a couple introduction type punches, the both fell to the ice, in the net and Rullier came up bleeding….

The Smyth fight wasn’t a fight. Each guy had a fist full of jersey and they spun in circles no real punches landed by either. Once the players were good and dizzy, the Linesmen broke them apart…

I’m not impressed with what I’ve seen from “shooter” (Smyth) so far. He has ZERO business on the PK and I trust when the team is finalized, he won’t be on the PK…I haven’t seen any chemistry between him and the Cammalleri-Brown combo…

Our D was bad in the first period, better in the second, and did a decent job finishing with 5 in the 3rd…

Shootouts are really anti-climatic after a team fights back to tie with the goalie pulled…

Fukufuji has an incredibly quick glove and looked solid...

Connor James should earn at least a Reading Deal...

Lukajic has a weird skating style but he gets the job done and he hits...

Old Hickory 10-04-2004 02:37 PM

He does skate weird, but it just works

BlackAdderI 10-05-2004 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He does skate weird, but it just works

:) Yes, it's weird but enough fast to play even in big rink, here in Finland. He is not a rocket but... speed is ok. The style how he is skating remembered us from moose, the animal. Moose have long legs etc. That's why his nick name is Moose here in Oulu, Finland.

Let's go Moose!

Ps. He played here last year in same line with Jari Viuhkola (center and one of the best playmakers in finnish elite league (Selected by Chicago Blackhawks round 6)) and Petr Tenkrat (Left wing with outstanding speed and fast and hard shot (Selected by Anaheim Mighty Ducks round 8)). It was very productive and nice looking line where every player was diiferent kind of players.