HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ilya Bryzgalov (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=913015)

JABEE 05-10-2011 11:41 PM

Ilya Bryzgalov

I was wondering if Byzgalov would favor coming to Philadelphia because of the presence of Chris Pronger. They played together on the championship team with the Ducks and I think he'd be a great goalie for the Flyers. How much do you think it would take to get him?

Edit: I guess he wasn't the starter on that team, but I still think they should go after him.

New Article:
Tim P from CSN Philly says that Bryzgalov would be Perfect Fit in Philly according to sources.
Quote:

The source, who is intimately familiar with the Russian, who turns 31 just days before he becomes a free agent, says Bryzgalov would relish becoming a Flyer.
“He would love the adulation he’d get in Philadelphia,” the source said. “This is a big guy, who plays back in the net and can play a lot of games for the Flyers. Phoenix and the Flyers have had some talks this season about trades, including Jeff Carter.
http://www.csnphilly.com/05/15/11/So...014&feedID=704

BernieParent 05-10-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JABEE (Post 32979505)
I was wondering if Byzgalov would favor coming to Philadelphia because of the presence of Chris Pronger. They played together on the championship team with the Ducks and I think he'd be a great goalie for the Flyers. How much do you think it would take to get him?

Edit: I guess he wasn't the starter on that team, but I still think they should go after him.

Tossing a number out, I'd say something in the range of at least $5 mil/year for 5 years. Which is too much.

Giroux tha Damaja 05-11-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 32979555)
Tossing a number out, I'd say something in the range of at least $5 mil/year for 5 years. Which is too much.

I think he's worth it. Of course Homer might not be willing to sign a goalie for that much, or make the moves required to do so.

IrishSniper87 05-11-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 32981774)
I think he's worth it. Of course Homer might not be willing to sign a goalie for that much, or make the moves required to do so.

I wouldn't give him or Vokoun anything over $4.

It's not a goalies market, so don't overpay for one.

Trade for one if you have too.

Slowbro 05-11-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 32981798)
I wouldn't give him or Vokoun anything over $4.

It's not a goalies market, so don't overpay for one.

Trade for one if you have too.

and this is why the flyers will never win the cup

ShotScore* 05-11-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JABEE (Post 32979505)

Yes to Bryzgalov coming to Philly. I definitely want him here.

It will take only money to get him as he is an unrestricted free agent and I'm guessing anywhere between $5-$6 million per year. Not many teams are going to be able to afford that and if he demands more it will be even less and possibly even no one.

PhillyFlying 05-11-2011 08:59 AM

well now that the yotes are staying in phoenix for at least one more year, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one-year deal there.

Garbage Goal 05-11-2011 09:57 AM

Bryzgalov is a pipe-dream.

IrishSniper87 05-11-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triqsix (Post 32981857)
and this is why the flyers will never win the cup

Because they shouldn't overpay for a goalie?

I'm all for getting a proven starter, and willing to move many people to do it.

I just feel giving Bryz $5 mill is not the answer. Not in a cap world. I can justify $4 to him or Vokoun though.

Cartsiephan* 05-11-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Too much????? Team does not have a legit #1 goalie, Bobrovsky is nice and all, but let's pay the price and get a legit heavy in the net.

Cost: Agree pretty much with your analysis, 5yrs/$5.5mill, 4yrs/$6-6.5mill. I am willing to cough up players to get the deal done, 20 years since the Flyers have gone into the regular season with no goalie questions. Enough is enough, they have talent in front of the netminder, get a goalie to stop the pucks and give Laviolette the backing to push his players how he sees fit and they win the Cup next season.

Doyle 05-11-2011 10:30 AM

Will Flyers’ search for number one netminder end this summer?

http://nhlhotstove.com/will-flyers-s...d-this-summer/

Cartsiephan* 05-11-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 32983122)
Because they shouldn't overpay for a goalie?

I'm all for getting a proven starter, and willing to move many people to do it.

I just feel giving Bryz $5 mill is not the answer. Not in a cap world. I can justify $4 to him or Vokoun though.

So you are going to quibble over a million dollars to get a legit #1 goalie? So you are content with Bobrovsky and Boucher? Maybe they should bring back Esche, heard he has been tearing up the KHL.

NitHeel 05-11-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFlying (Post 32982211)
well now that the yotes are staying in phoenix for at least one more year, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one-year deal there.

Bryzgalov? A 1-year deal? :help:

Giroux tha Damaja 05-11-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 32983462)
So you are going to quibble over a million dollars to get a legit #1 goalie? So you are content with Bobrovsky and Boucher? Maybe they should bring back Esche, heard he has been tearing up the KHL.

1) A million dollars is a lot of money.

2) Strawman. He never said he was content with Boucher and Bobrovsky.

Bryzgalov was in the Vezina conversation last year and was probably a top 5 goaltender again this year. In my opinion, that is worth 5 million dollars, even if it means we have to jettison some talent elsewhere. There are a few D-men and a few forwards that I could do with out one or two of, if it meant having a Bryzgalov - Bobrovsky tandem next year. Irish has a point. Perhaps 5 million is not a nice deal given the current market, but the clock is ticking. If you need something you can't always wait to get a good deal for it.

Cartsiephan* 05-11-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Love the fact that as fans are willing to throw their money and support over young stars who have multimillion dollar 10 year contract, but unwilling to pay a legit goalie $5mill to fill a glaring need for this organization since 1989.

dingbathero 05-11-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFlying (Post 32982211)

DOZENS of fans are cheering in the streets... DOZENS....

Cartsiephan* 05-11-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 32983534)
1) A million dollars is a lot of money.

Would you have preferred they paid an extra million to get a goalie who could stop the puck in the Bruins series? Would you have paid $5mill to get the performance that Thomas gave instead of the $4.1mill you saved with Boucher? Yup, that is what I thought.

Quote:

2) Strawman. He never said he was content with Boucher and Bobrovsky.

By not spending the money and resources that is exactly what he is saying. Be it Bobrovsky, Boucher, Nabokov, or some other goalie who is a knock off.

Quote:

Bryzgalov was in the Vezina conversation last year and was probably a top 5 goaltender again this year. In my opinion, that is worth 5 million dollars, even if it means we have to jettison some talent elsewhere. There are a few D-men and a few forwards that I could do with out one or two of, if it meant having a Bryzgalov - Bobrovsky tandem next year. Irish has a point. Perhaps 5 million is not a nice deal given the current market, but the clock is ticking. If you need something you can't always wait to get a good deal for it.

They need a legit goalie for next year, the window is small. You sit down with Bryzgalov with Pronger and Timonen and you make him an offer he cannot refuse.

Giroux tha Damaja 05-11-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 32983953)
Would you have preferred they paid an extra million to get a goalie who could stop the puck in the Bruins series? Would you have paid $5mill to get the performance that Thomas gave instead of the $4.1mill you saved with Boucher? Yup, that is what I thought.

Clearly. Signing Bryzgalov doesn't guarantee we get that performance next year though. The decision and the consequences of it aren't as black and white as you like to pretend it is. You're intentionally being even more simple minded than is your nature.

Quote:

By not spending the money and resources that is exactly what he is saying. Be it Bobrovsky, Boucher, Nabokov, or some other goalie who is a knock off.

This is a false equivalence. One does not guarantee, or even imply the other (with regards to him being happy to keep Boucher and Bobrovsky).

The other fallacy here is the idea that anyone who isn't Bryzgalov and doesn't cost 5 million is going to suck.

Quote:

They need a legit goalie for next year, the window is small. You sit down with Bryzgalov with Pronger and Timonen and you make him an offer he cannot refuse.

We are not positioned to make him an offer he can't refuse. Tampa might be interested and they have tons of cap space and offer an opportunity to win just as much as we do. We won't be the only team interested, if we're even interested at all. PLus the Yotes may offer him a 1 year deal, and he's already settled there.

Liferleafer 05-11-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 32984294)
Clearly. Signing Bryzgalov doesn't guarantee we get that performance next year though. The decision and the consequences of it aren't as black and white as you like to pretend it is. You're intentionally being even more simple minded than is your nature.

This is a false equivalence. One does not guarantee, or even imply the other (with regards to him being happy to keep Boucher and Bobrovsky).

The other fallacy here is the idea that anyone who isn't Bryzgalov and doesn't cost 5 million is going to suck.

We are not positioned to make him an offer he can't refuse. Tampa might be interested and they have tons of cap space and offer an opportunity to win just as much as we do. We won't be the only team interested, if we're even interested at all. PLus the Yotes may offer him a 1 year deal, and he's already settled there.

Brys. is the main reason the Yotes even make the playoffs. Just imagine what he does with the talent Philly puts in front of him. I can't believe some Flyer fans aren't willing to offer up for him.

bennysflyers16 05-11-2011 11:39 AM

5 yrs - 25 mill would be my Bryz offer
2 yrs - 8 Mill would be my Vokoun offer, and I think Bob has to be in the AHL next yr if we sign Bryz, his 1.75 cap hit is too high for a back up.

sobrien 05-11-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 32984294)

Performance is never guaranteed, but an increased confidence level from fans, coaches, and players will be. He's worth overpaying if we need to.

As for TB, they won't have much money left to spend, they need to re-sign Stamkos and several other players.

DrHamburg 05-11-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 (Post 32984534)
5 yrs - 25 mill would be my Bryz offer
2 yrs - 8 Mill would be my Vokoun offer, and I think Bob has to be in the AHL next yr if we sign Bryz, his 1.75 cap hit is too high for a back up.

If you can get get Voukoun for around 4 million I would think you need to take it.

IrishSniper87 05-11-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHamburg (Post 32985849)
If you can get get Voukoun for around 4 million I would think you need to take it.

I like Vokoun for 4million for 2 years. Gives Bob a chance to mature behind him and eventually take over for him.

BernieParent 05-11-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liferleafer (Post 32984414)
Brys. is the main reason the Yotes even make the playoffs. Just imagine what he does with the talent Philly puts in front of him. I can't believe some Flyer fans aren't willing to offer up for him.

Being a goaltender, I have a soft spot for the position. My namesake is the reason I became a Flyers fan back in '74. I am very eager to stop once and for all the Blue Paint Sideshow.

However, as much as Paul Holmgren has a blind spot for a dependable #1 G, he also manages his cap space like a frat manages a keg at their first beer bash. Tossing yet another huge contract for multiple years compounds the other major problem with this franchise. Yes, Bryzgalov is justified in looking for a big payday, and he has at least two potential big suitors in Holmgren and Yzerman. (And guess on what side of that IQ divide our boy finds himself!)

The good news is that the G market still looks pretty flat, so the 2 expected big players have a grand total of 2 big names: Bryz and Vokoun. Of course, the Coyotes might spoil things by resigning Bryz, but if matters play out the way we expect, I'd be fine with Vokoun as a consolation prize. Plus, Vokoun would arguably be more cap friendly: average cap hit $3.5-4 mil over 3 years is reasonable for me. Sure, I am hoping against hope that Paul Holmgren actually plays it shrewd this off-season. At 12:01 pm on July 1, put a 5-year, $20 million offer in front of Bryzgalov (and yes, I believe a $1 mil/year difference is significant for this team), and start talking with Vokoun's agent about 3 years, $11 mil, negotiating to a max of 3 years $12.5 mil. I would also reach out to Ray Emery's agent and – as I've mentioned before, if he has full medical clearance from someone not named Nick Riviera – talk numbers in the 3-year, $8-9 mil range.

RJ8812* 05-11-2011 01:43 PM

Do not want. He's going to want too much money for too many years. Vokoun would cost less money and fewer years which is important if this franchise expects Bob to be their #1 goalie in a few years. Hell, I'd even take Emery over Bryzgalov