HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OT: Travel help to New Jersey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=913126)

Reimer 05-11-2011 12:30 PM

Travel help to New Jersey

Good day all. I am a regular poster on the Oiler board and I am going to be travelling to Newark in October for a cruise. We hope to able to catch some hockey games both pre and post cruise. We are planning on staying at a hotel in the Newark airport area since it is closest to the cruise dock. These are my questions:

1) Which stadium is closer to this area - Prudential Center or MSG?

2) Other than taxi what are the best ways to get to and from the arenas? Are the subways and stuff safe to take later in the night after a hockey game? (Don't wanna sound like the typical tourist but I have heard some greasy things, just curious how legit it is later at night).

3) If I do take a cab from this area, approximately how much would it cost (please specify one-way/round-trip).

Thanks for your help guys.

Jaysfanatic* 05-11-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 32985393)
Good day all. I am a regular poster on the Oiler board and I am going to be travelling to Newark in October for a cruise. We hope to able to catch some hockey games both pre and post cruise. We are planning on staying at a hotel in the Newark airport area since it is closest to the cruise dock. These are my questions:

2) Other than taxi what are the best ways to get to and from the arenas? Are the subways and stuff safe to take later in the night after a hockey game? (Don't wanna sound like the typical tourist but I have heard some greasy things, just curious how legit it is later at night).

3) If I do take a cab from this area, approximately how much would it cost (please specify one-way/round-trip).

Thanks for your help guys.

1) Prudential center. One NJ transit stop away.

2) NJ transit to NYC, easy to get around. Subways and stuff are safe after the game. Just stick to the path from the arena to Newark Penn Station. NYC subways are generally safe especially in the Manhattan area.

3) Do NOT take a cab. Too many tolls, take NJ transit. From Newark Penn to NYC is five dollars each way, 10 bucks total. Cheaper, and relaxing.

Enjoy your trip!

cj225 05-11-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Prudential Center

Quote:

You can take the train from the Airport to Penn Station, but taking a cab would probably be more convenient. Or check with your hotel to see if they provide a shuttle.

Train info: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...nSchedulesFrom

The train area is fine at night and the area around the Rock is pretty safe. The train is also only about 2 blocks from the Rock so it's not a far walking distance.

Quote:

Not sure about cab costs, but I don't see it being more than $10-$15 one-way and maybe $20 round-trip. I've never taken a cab around there though.

Jaysfanatic* 05-11-2011 12:43 PM

As someone who takes NJ Transit all the time, I can tell you nothing is more convenient than grabbing a train from there to NPS.

Reimer 05-11-2011 12:52 PM

Awesome thanks guys. More than likely we will catch a game at Prudential center for sure(assuming the schedule permits). I'd also like to catch a game at MSG (since god knows it is probably just a bit of a classier building than Rexall Place, lol) if time and NHL schedule permits. o you recommend the same? A train should get me there?

Also would you suggest that I purchase tickets in advance or would I be able to walk up the night of the game and get some?

cj225 05-11-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Ryder (Post 32985606)
As someone who takes NJ Transit all the time, I can tell you nothing is more convenient than grabbing a train from there to NPS.

Is there parking at the airport?

cj225 05-11-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 32985808)
Awesome thanks guys. More than likely we will catch a game at Prudential center for sure(assuming the schedule permits). I'd also like to catch a game at MSG (since god knows it is probably just a bit of a classier building than Rexall Place, lol) if time and NHL schedule permits. o you recommend the same? A train should get me there?

Also would you suggest that I purchase tickets in advance or would I be able to walk up the night of the game and get some?

As someone who's been to both...Rexall is one of my favorite arenas to visit.

Yes, you take the train from the Airport to New York Penn Station.

You could probably walk up the night of the game..but if you know you're schedule, contact me when the schedule comes out and I can try and hook you up with tickets (season ticket holder cost, cheaper than face)!

Jaysfanatic* 05-11-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Could walk up the night of the game and get some in both arenas. MSG is a dump though. Don't be fooled by the name, there's history that's about it and the tickets are stupid expensive to go to a game there. You could catch two or three Devils games for the price of one.

As for the train

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servl...ion=HomePageTo

The trains run quite frequently, so you wouldn't be waiting too long. It's not like the Long Island Rail Road which takes forever.

Jaysfanatic* 05-11-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj225 (Post 32985813)
Is there parking at the airport?

From what I understand from his post, he's flying in to Newark Airport so he won't have a car, and his hotel will be near the airport as it's close to the docks. If he's staying in Elizabeth or anywhere close they'll have a free shuttle for him, they always do. So even if he's driving, take the shuttle to Newark airport then get on the train.

At least, that's what I'd do. Cabs get expensive over there. They quoted me like 60 bucks last time I was in Elizabeth to get to the CAA which was 10 miles away or something like that.

cj225 05-11-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Ryder (Post 32985909)
From what I understand from his post, he's flying in to Newark Airport so he won't have a car, and his hotel will be near the airport as it's close to the docks. If he's staying in Elizabeth or anywhere close they'll have a free shuttle for him, they always do. So even if he's driving, take the shuttle to Newark airport then get on the train.

At least, that's what I'd do. Cabs get expensive over there. They quoted me like 60 bucks last time I was in Elizabeth to get to the CAA which was 10 miles away or something like that.

Gotcha! Well the Prudential Center isn't that far from the airport...but I forgot about the shuttle to and from the airport.

I'd find out if the shuttle takes you to the Pru Center as well and you can avoid cabs and the train all together.

Jaysfanatic* 05-11-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj225 (Post 32985935)
Gotcha! Well the Prudential Center isn't that far from the airport...but I forgot about the shuttle to and from the airport.

I'd find out if the shuttle takes you to the Pru Center as well and you can avoid cabs and the train all together.

Yeah, maybe the hotels at the airport like the double tree will actually take you to Pru Center. Definitely something to look into.

Man, I want to come back already :laugh:

Reimer 05-11-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Ryder (Post 32985909)

Yes this is correct we don't plan on renting a vehicle. Just plan to stick in the area, catch some hockey, maybe hit up a liquor store for cheap booze on the cruise and possibly do some shopping(lowest on my priority list, but gotta keep the lady happy:D)

PacManNJD 05-11-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Just to give you a bit of perspective:

http://www.stayonthewaterfront.com/images/rail_map.jpg

Prudential Center is a five minute walk from Newark Penn, and MSG is literally right on top of New York Penn.

The Newark Airport stop is five minutes south of Newark Penn by train.

Reimer 05-11-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj225 (Post 32985842)
As someone who's been to both...Rexall is one of my favorite arenas to visit.

Yes, you take the train from the Airport to New York Penn Station.

You could probably walk up the night of the game..but if you know you're schedule, contact me when the schedule comes out and I can try and hook you up with tickets (season ticket holder cost, cheaper than face)!

Yeesh now you have scared me from going to MSG. Nut I mainly wanted to see it because of the history. Rexall is pretty bad and the only time its awesome to be there is when the crowd is going nuts and that hasn't happened since 2006. I've been to 3 NHL arenas so far(Rexall Place, Pengrowth Saddledome and the Bank Atlantic Center) and the Panthers arena is like night and day to Edmonton's and Calgary's.

As for the ticket offer I will keep you in mind when we make solid dates. We are waiting to book our flights right now until they release the NHL schedule. Last year it was just prior to the draft so hopefully in another month or so we will have a better idea.

cj225 05-11-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 32986867)
Yeesh now you have scared me from going to MSG. Nut I mainly wanted to see it because of the history. Rexall is pretty bad and the only time its awesome to be there is when the crowd is going nuts and that hasn't happened since 2006. I've been to 3 NHL arenas so far(Rexall Place, Pengrowth Saddledome and the Bank Atlantic Center) and the Panthers arena is like night and day to Edmonton's and Calgary's.

As for the ticket offer I will keep you in mind when we make solid dates. We are waiting to book our flights right now until they release the NHL schedule. Last year it was just prior to the draft so hopefully in another month or so we will have a better idea.

It's not scary..it's an old building and the sight lines aren't great, but many seem to like it.. I was in Edmonton 4 years ago (this upcoming December) and I liked the old feeling and the fans there were awesome!

Met this lady who's daughter was hanging out/dating one of the players and went to this place they usually go to. They lost to the Devils than night, so they weren't going out. And then we had these kids drive us back to our hotel..extremely friendly and knowledgeable people.

Yeah definitely let me know and I can try and help you out. Schedule came out June 22nd last year, so it should be around the same time.

Reimer 05-11-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacmanghostx (Post 32986767)
Just to give you a bit of perspective:

http://www.stayonthewaterfront.com/images/rail_map.jpg

Prudential Center is a five minute walk from Newark Penn, and MSG is literally right on top of New York Penn.

The Newark Airport stop is five minutes south of Newark Penn by train.

Awesome thanks for that. Yah the area we'd be staying at is just to the west of the airport.

Also anything else you guys suggest we should check out in this area if time permits? Is six flags worth checking out?

cj225 05-11-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 32986984)
Awesome thanks for that. Yah the area we'd be staying at is just to the west of the airport.

Also anything else you guys suggest we should check out in this area if time permits? Is six flags worth checking out?

Six Flags isn't worth the time/money! And the hours are limited after September.

If time permits, the Statue of Liberty might be a good thing to check out, plus NYC if you've never been.

Reimer 05-11-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj225 (Post 32986923)
It's not scary..it's an old building and the sight lines aren't great, but many seem to like it.. I was in Edmonton 4 years ago (this upcoming December) and I liked the old feeling and the fans there were awesome!

Met this lady who's daughter was hanging out/dating one of the players and went to this place they usually go to. They lost to the Devils than night, so they weren't going out. And then we had these kids drive us back to our hotel..extremely friendly and knowledgeable people.

Yeah definitely let me know and I can try and help you out. Schedule came out June 22nd last year, so it should be around the same time.

Hey I can definitely vouch for the people. I just meant scary in that there are parts of Rexall that I feel are just gonna collapse(I mean figuratively not literally). It is just such an old plain building, can't wait until we get a new one.

Reimer 05-11-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj225 (Post 32987017)
Six Flags isn't worth the time/money! And the hours are limited after September.

If time permits, the Statue of Liberty might be a good thing to check out, plus NYC if you've never been.

Yah we planned on this as we want to go up and I know you have to book months in advance in order to be able to do this.

Anything else of the non-touristy nature?

KohoDonuts88 05-11-2011 02:17 PM

From a fellow "tourist" perspective... based on my trips down. I'm assuming you don't want to spend any more money than you have to on transportation. Depending on the hotel you stay at, you could take the #40 bus directly to Broad St/Pru Center (10-15 mins)... or you could shuttle to the airport, and grab the #62 bus to Newark Penn Stn and walk the 5 mins to Pru. As I understood, the train directly from the airport to NYC was a little pricier. Get yourself to Newark Penn Stn by bus, then grab the aforementioned $10 roundtrip train to MSG/NY Penn Stn. If you plan it right you can do roundtrip from Pru Center to your hotel for $3 or roundtrip from hotel to NYC for $13.

Any time I've been in NYC, I've just explored on my own, but you want to be prepared to walk. It's probably worth it to hit one of the tour bus deals just to cover a lot of ground and see the sights. Don't bother with the Statue of Liberty as far as going to the island itself. If the season permits, take one of the harbour cruises that will take you right by, and you'll get great vantage points of the statue and a whole lot more. Some of the bus tours have a cruise included or optional.

Marv4Life 05-11-2011 04:17 PM

Is the cruise dock in Bayonne?

A warning: The train from the airport to Pru is $8.25 one way for a 5 minute trip. You could take a bus and save about $7 bucks each way but as a tourist you're not gonna like it.

Muttley* 05-11-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Ryder (Post 32985860)
Don't be fooled by the name, there's history that's about it

Don't be fooled by the history either.

Why do people perpetuate the myth that MSG is one, single, continuously used building filled with a rich history, along the likes of a Chicago Stadium, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens, etc????

A 43 year old building that witnessed just 1 Stanley Cup, 2 NBA Championships and a plethora of Westiminster Kennel Club Dog Shows is not historic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reimer (Post 32986867)
Yeesh now you have scared me from going to MSG. Nut I mainly wanted to see it because of the history.

DON'T DO IT!!!

AVOID MSG AT ALL COSTS!!!!

There is no history in a 43 year old building. It's only 6 years older than Rexall for crying out loud!!!

NYC is not a hockey town. It's a baseball town with football not far behind. Don't be fooled that you will get some sort of "experience", as if you're attending a game in the legendary hockey cites of Montreal or Toronto. You will be bored out of your mind in a dead building with bad sightlines and a corporate crowd that has tickets only because their company also has Knick tickets, yet the only freebie tickets left are for NYR games. This is the truth!

It's just as pedestrian as attending any NHL game in any U.S. city. There is more passion for the Oilers at Rexall than for the NYR at MSG, that's a guarantee!

Don't waste your time. I'm serious, please believe me! Save your time and money on visiting real historic sights in the city! Watch a NJD game, it's just as quiet as MSG, but we have better players like Kovalchuk. Parise will be gone, so you might just have to watch Kovy put on a show.

AVOID MSG AT ALL COSTS!!!:rant:

Mucca Mad Boy 05-11-2011 08:56 PM

Muttley speaks the truth. The last time anything significant happened at MSG, the Rangers had a guy who still played without a helmet and the ice inside the goal was painted blue. The place has seen some good concerts and such, but I wouldn't call it historic at all in regards to hockey.

PacManNJD 05-11-2011 09:07 PM

Fact: There's more hockey history at the Meadowlands than at the current Madison Square Garden. (Unless you count the retirement of six numbers in five years, including the dual retirement of the same ****ing number in addition to a third number within three weeks, yes, three weeks, because they needed a way to fill the rafters after their neighbors from the Jersey suburbs had been racking up for a decade and a half.)

Muttley* 05-11-2011 09:15 PM

For the millionth time, this is the quintessential hockey moment at that dump known as MSG. And Mike Millbury is a a real man.