HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Junior pool for Philadelphia Flyers made up of low-round picks and free agents (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=913136)

HF Article 05-11-2011 01:00 PM

Junior pool for Philadelphia Flyers made up of low-round picks and free agents

The Flyers have a large junior prospect pool, made up mostly of mid-to-late round draft picks and free agent signings.

More...

MojoJojo 05-11-2011 07:26 PM

Where the hell did this kid Akeson come from? 4th in scoring across all of Canadian Juniors?:eek:

JVR21 05-11-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo (Post 32991856)
Where the hell did this kid Akeson come from? 4th in scoring across all of Canadian Juniors?:eek:

Signed him a few months back as an undrafted FA.

RJ8812* 05-11-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo (Post 32991856)

as 20 year old

don't get your hopes up

Coppy 05-11-2011 08:13 PM

Man. Its almost like we haven't had too many high draft picks the last couple years...

whatthef 05-11-2011 08:25 PM

We have to have the worst prospect pool in the league right? The only team that might be worse that I can think of is Calgary.

sa cyred 05-11-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 32992081)
as 20 year old

don't get your hopes up

Well points really dont matter, but he put 80 as a 19 year old, and 64 as a 18. Points wise wasnt bad at all. It will come down to if he can translate to the pro level.

But yea he could EASILY (as in most likely happening) turn into a Luke Pither.

ShawnTHW 05-12-2011 02:20 PM

I cringe when I look at this prospect pool.

CharlieGirl 05-12-2011 02:33 PM

In other breaking news, water is wet.

CanuckistanFlyerfan 05-12-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 33003702)

Ya, personally I'm more excited about Aaron Ekblad.

flountown 05-12-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 33003702)

More breaking news, there is, in fact, dry water...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...dry-water.html

CS 05-12-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 33010915)

Mind = blown.

If that's possible, so is a legitimate starter in Philadelphia.

ShawnTHW 05-12-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 33011415)
Mind = blown.

If that's possible, so is a legitimate starter in Philadelphia.

Nope, that's impossible.

SeanVT395 05-12-2011 11:26 PM

Still most interested in Ranford, love his style of play. His skating on the other hand...

I'm not terribly excited about Akeson either, I mean he was dominating against kids 3-4 years younger than him. Age difference in juniors is colossal compared to pros.

CS 05-12-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanVT395 (Post 33016443)
Still most interested in Ranford, love his style of play. His skating on the other hand...

I'm not terribly excited about Akeson either, I mean he was dominating against kids 3-4 years younger than him. Age difference in juniors is colossal compared to pros.

Um. Try 1-2 years younger than him.

I know what you're trying to say, but let's be clear, most CHLers are 18-19. Few are 17 or 20.

And no, I'm not particularly excited about anyone but Ranford. Akeson needs to show me what he can do in pros and Ranford needs to powerskate until he can't walk.

leoleo3535 05-12-2011 11:32 PM

Two of the biggest happenings of the season for Manning + Ranford were their suspensions and yet there is no mention of this in the article.

CS 05-12-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoleo3535 (Post 33016573)
Two of the biggest happenings of the season for Manning + Ranford were their suspensions and yet there is no mention of this in the article.

I'm not so sure that those were major factors in the season at all. Sure they were suspended, but I think the late-season slides experienced by both players are a little more telling.

leoleo3535 05-13-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 33016652)
I'm not so sure that those were major factors in the season at all. Sure they were suspended, but I think the late-season slides experienced by both players are a little more telling.

Fair enough.
I watched all Kamloops and all Chilliwack games this season.
The 2 teams were big time rivals, fights and brutal hits every game.

Manning + Ranford played for said clubs.
Both received lengthy suspensions.....2 of the longer suspensions of the year.

Ranford's suspension was a huge hit to Kamloops playoff drive.
Manning's suspension was for a hit from behind on a Kamloops d man......also played a huge role in Kamloops missing the playoffs and also added fuel to the rivalry.

Manning certainly didn't experience anything of a "late-season slide".
6 goals and 13 points in his last 11 games.

Suspensions and injuries were big issues with both players.
The reason for the suspensions was also very newsworthy- breaking a players neck and abusing an official.

CS 05-13-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leoleo3535 (Post 33017144)
Fair enough.
I watched all Kamloops and all Chilliwack games this season.
The 2 teams were big time rivals, fights and brutal hits every game.

Manning + Ranford played for said clubs.
Both received lengthy suspensions.....2 of the longer suspensions of the year.

Ranford's suspension was a huge hit to Kamloops playoff drive.
Manning's suspension was for a hit from behind on a Kamloops d man......also played a huge role in Kamloops missing the playoffs and also added fuel to the rivalry.

Manning certainly didn't experience anything of a "late-season slide".
6 goals and 13 points in his last 11 games.

Suspensions and injuries were big issues with both players.
The reason for the suspensions was also very newsworthy- breaking a players neck and abusing an official.

Here's the real issue at hand though.

Do you see Ranford's suspension being indicative of a specific pattern of behavior? There are rumors about him vs. his coach, but has he ever been a player to specifically do things like this to cause problems for his own team?

Not that I've seen.

What about Manning? Manning has always played with a physical edge, but he has never done something this serious before. I consider this a little more newsworthy than Ranford's incident, but I still don't think it is at the heart of what Manning brings to the Flyers' organization after a year of play.

Should I have mentioned these incidents? Possibly, but in the end, I didn't even really think about them when writing the article. That, in and of itself, should tell you how much weight I put into both players' suspensions this year.

In terms of the WHL organizations they currently represent, these are possibly heavyweight issues for the 2010-11 season. For the future of the Flyers organization, I don't see these incidents having extreme weight on the expectations we have for either player going forward.

stick 05-13-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppy (Post 32992434)
Man. Its almost like we haven't had too many high draft picks the last couple years...

:handclap:

Uncle Ed has let Dummy Paul trade away all the high picks. :cry:

CharlieGirl 05-13-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 33010915)

Wow. What you don't learn on a hockey message board! :)

HoverCarle* 05-13-2011 11:43 AM

I'm glad to hear that a cup has alluded us for years. (this means that the Cup has "referred to us indirectly" for years

Terence Peterman 05-13-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoverCarle (Post 33022640)
I'm glad to hear that a cup has alluded us for years. (this means that the Cup has "referred to us indirectly" for years

You're always sticking your neck out to be a big dick, you know that?

MsWoof 05-13-2011 12:44 PM

Wow, how is it this article wasn't checked for spelling/grammatical errors. I give a more thorough run through on my blog which is probably read by 5 people.

HoverCarle* 05-13-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Blaine (Post 33023267)
You're always sticking your neck out to be a big dick, you know that?

I am only a dick to people acting like vaginas